SKS for HD? - Page 2

SKS for HD?

This is a discussion on SKS for HD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just go old school and bayonet the poop out of the sorry sap who tries to break in. That way you waste not even 1 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SKS for HD?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Just go old school and bayonet the poop out of the sorry sap who tries to break in. That way you waste not even 1 penny on useless human life (The criminal trying to murder you of course) with a non expendable bullet. HAHA.

I have my SKS and I love it. I may actually modify mine a little with some toys one of these days. I have an original Soviet stamped commie gun. Its a little nail driver out to 100yds. I was thinking of putting a less expensive red dot sight and having a gun smith work on it a little to make her more accurate. I might even consider getting a spiffy composite stock for it. I hate folding stocks though so no go on that thing.

And I have seen frangible ammunition for these which make them VERY much a HD weapon especially in urban environments. The frangible stuff shouldn't make it too far once it hits something more solid than sheetrock.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Anyone here have an SKS for home defense? I love mine - modified with a tactical scope (can still use iron sights as well), polymar stock and it takes removable magazines.

I've heard different debates regarding 7.62 x 39 vs. .223 for home defense, but I think that in the close distances of a home defense scenario, both calibers are just going to pass through the BGs regardless...

What say you?
    Both the 7.62 x 39 and the .223 are way too hot for HD IMO. 12ga Mossberg riot gun with 00 Buck. Just racking the slide will send anyone not looking to commit mayhem running for the hills.
    H&K USP .45, Taurus PT100 .40, Nambu Type 14 8mm, Browning HP 9mm,
    Desert Eagle .50, Makarov .380, Walther PK380

An SKS would not be the last rifle I choose but it sure is not the first. I would not only be concerned about through and through shots on the BG but also penetrating walls and hitting family or neighbors. In my opinion rifles make poor HD weapons. Yard defense maybe. But in the cqc situations of HD I'll take 00 buck any day. Also with an SKS for its length it may be hard to manage in tight hallways. Nothing against the SKS as a rifle just not my first choice for hd
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

As has been mentioned: if your neighbors aint close do it to it! As of now it is my SHTF/Zombie gun. I love it, it eats anything and if I had to leave with one rifle, that would be it. I love it because it is like an old pickup truck: Beat the living heck out of it and it will beg you for more.

It wouldnt be my first choice but isnt a bad choice. Something very nostalgic about stripper clips.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    While not my very favorite I wouldn't feel cheated if I had to use my SKS.

I like the notion of a short rifle using a cartridge of intermediate power for home defense. The SKS could fill the bill. I've owned one for many years. It wouldn't be my first choice however, as it is ill-balanced by being front-heavy if the folding bayonet is retained and the rifle is far too short-stocked for me. Remove the bayonet however and obtain an aftermarket extended butt plate or else outright change out the stock for something more dimensionally suitable and one would have something.

I wouldn't be for changing out the original 10-round magazine for one of the aftermarket hi-cap versions and wouldn't be interested in any sort of scope or special sight that would interfere with stripper clip loading.
    Exactly how my Yugo SKS is dressed - bayonet gone, aftermarket stock installed to give an adult-sized length of pull, stock sights and clip-fed mag in place. I'd say it's better suited to the "ensconced defender" role, but I sure wouldn't complain much if that's all I had available for home defense.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tashunkwitko View Post
    buckeye...does that jamming issue still arise if one goes with an after market stock, i.e. Tapco or ATI, or say even perhaps CBRPS? Just curious, cuz I was really considering one of these in the near future and going with Tapco or CBRPS's bull pup...and hey, its alright call me a Bubba.
    The Tapco SKS magazines work extremely well. They are the only detachable SKS mags that do work. The metal detachable mags that are produced by several makers are junk and do not function reliably. I have run many hundreds of rounds through my Chicom SKS with the Tapco mags with no failures. And I mean truly zero failures of any kind. Of course remember the rifle has to be 922r compliant if you use detachable magazines in a SKS.
    http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

I usually don't let "bubba" touch my guns but in this case the original wood stock on this Chinese SKS was in rough shape so I decided to replace it with the Tapco T6. I purchased this rifle back in the early 80's for $57. If you go the T6 route don't try attaching optics/red dot to the front hand-guard rail. It will move under recoil and will not hold zero. The receiver cover type scope rails also move under recoil and do not work and are a waste of money. I use a Scout Scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf and these hold your optic rock solid.

I actually had not shot this rifle in a couple of years until a few weeks ago when a co-worker of mine asked to shoot it. So I took it along an a range trip. We ran two hundred rounds of Wolf and Silver Bear ammo through the rifle with 3 different Tapco 20 round mags and had no issues at all. The rifle ran like a champ. The SKS is heavy and a bit cumbersome compared to more "modern" tactical rifles and may not be the best option but as I mentioned before, the man with an SKS that knows how to use a battle rifle would be a formidable foe. Its usually the man behind the rifle not the weapon itself that decides the outcome.

Eaglebeak and mano3 like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Great looking SKS. I also installed the Tapco 6 for reasons that gasmitty mentioned. I love it. I wish I could get the proper mags for it, but I live in CA...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I do not use mine for HD. I have the sks M. Its uses AK mags. No issues with feeding at all....

100_1574.jpg
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Hi Smitty;

My youngest son has one of those Yugo SKS's with the grenade launching hardware on it along with the bayonet. What a clunk it is! On a side by side comparison the thing is every bit as long and heavy as my M1. When such Yugo SKS's were cheap I thought it'd be good to lose the grenade launching and bayonet baggage to make the rifle better balanced and more compact. He chose to leave it all original.

His Yugo will shoot though. From the bench rest at 100 yards it gives 2-inch 5-shot groups while my Russian SKS is only good for 4-inch 5-shot groups.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love my SKS, and if it's what you have by all means keep it ready. As one other guy mentioned, I would look at Corbon's Self Defense 125gr Jacketed Hollow Point Self-Defense Ammo 7.62x39mm Russian 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 it's out of stock here, but it gives you an idea of what to look for. Everything I have heard about this ammo says it is good-to-go and doesn't over penetrate.

Unless those detachable mags are 100% reliable I would switch back to the original 10rd fixed mag.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Guess it would work but if I were depending on a long gun for HD it would be a 12G shot gun not a 7.62X39 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Guess it would work but if I were depending on a long gun for HD it would be a 12G shot gun not a 7.62X39 rifle.
    Would it better if the OP said AK...Come on...

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

SKS & Sight-2.jpg

I use my modified SKS sorta for home defense from the back deck porch when feral hogs come sneaking in - JHP rounds drop 'em like a bison hit by lightning.

However, since its length is a problem for inside maneuverability and over-penetration is a major liability I don't use it for "indoor" home defense.
    mano3 likes this.

Eaglebreak, that is a great looking rifle.....

Thanks for the kind words, Harryball - but the hogs don't like it at all Yours ain't no ugly duckling either - great conversion job!!

It's a Russian "Tula" that will keep a shot-group in a quarter's diameter at 100yds with only a Red Dot 1X optic. Kept all the original stuff if I ever wanted to return it to "original military import"; but since I'm a shooter instead of a collector, it simply shoots too sweet, smooth, accurate, reliably and effective to sit and look at. Did all the mods and parts changes to get 'er clear down to a +4 "domestic" (under Fed rules), so I can also use the original 10-round mag instead of the Tapco detachables and still be legal if the mood ever swung to that.

Still isn't much of an indoor HD shooter as the thread asks
    Harryball likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links