SKS for HD?

SKS for HD?

This is a discussion on SKS for HD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone here have an SKS for home defense? I love mine - modified with a tactical scope (can still use iron sights as well), polymar ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SKS for HD?

SKS for HD?

Anyone here have an SKS for home defense? I love mine - modified with a tactical scope (can still use iron sights as well), polymar stock and it takes removable magazines.

I've heard different debates regarding 7.62 x 39 vs. .223 for home defense, but I think that in the close distances of a home defense scenario, both calibers are just going to pass through the BGs regardless...

What say you?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I know a guy who has one for that. He speaks highly of it. He keeps his unmodified. Enjoys being able to top it off with stripper clips. Plus less to go wrong.

Administrator
    If it what you got, its what you got.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If it what you got, its what you got.
    I agree with Sixto. While not my very favorite I wouldn't feel cheated if I had to use my SKS.

I like the notion of a short rifle using a cartridge of intermediate power for home defense. The SKS could fill the bill. I've owned one for many years. It wouldn't be my first choice however, as it is ill-balanced by being front-heavy if the folding bayonet is retained and the rifle is far too short-stocked for me. Remove the bayonet however and obtain an aftermarket extended butt plate or else outright change out the stock for something more dimensionally suitable and one would have something.

I wouldn't be for changing out the original 10-round magazine for one of the aftermarket hi-cap versions and wouldn't be interested in any sort of scope or special sight that would interfere with stripper clip loading.

Love the 7.62X39 cartridge which looks like a better idea than the .223.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Run whatcha brung!

When it comes down to it, if it goes bang reliably, I would say it is at least a good candidate for home defense...Keeping the size of the bang to a reasonable level, of course.

The 7.62x39 will do the job. However, you need to take note of over-penetration issues, and account for them.

What exactly is a "tactical scope?" And does it have any magnification? Because if it does, it may well be useless at HD range.

I would also not put the detachable mags on it, but that is just me. I have seen far too many of those set-ups that were jam-o-matics. While SKS's in the stock configuration are very reliable.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The 7.62x39 will do the job. However, you need to take note of over-penetration issues, and account for them.

What exactly is a "tactical scope?" And does it have any magnification? Because if it does, it may well be useless at HD range.

I would also not put the detachable mags on it, but that is just me. I have seen far too many of those set-ups that were jam-o-matics. While SKS's in the stock configuration are very reliable.
    I agree but I would feel sorry for your neighbors if you had to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    I agree but I would feel sorry for your neighbors if you had to use it.
    Thats why I mentioned over-penetration issues. But really pretty much any gun that is worth using for SD/HD has the ability to over-penetrate.

Which is why it is your responsibility to know your clear fields of fire. I generally try to arrange furniture and stuff in my living space to funnel towards the areas that I have good fields of fire.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    I'd prefer an unmodified SKS and the 7.62x39 is a good choice with the right choice of ammunition such as Corbon's DPX 123gr. Hollow Point Ammo
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yes, over-penetration is an issue. Which is why my shotgun or .45 would more than likely be first on defense.

I guess the next question is what's a good JHP in 7.62 x 39?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I guess the next question is what's a good JHP in 7.62 x 39?
    See post #9
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own 3 SKS rifles, a Russian, a Chinese and a Yugoslavian. While I do not use them for HD/property defense since I have many other rifles I would use in this type role, they would serve in this capacity as well as just about any other intermediate caliber semi-auto rifle. They are tough, reliable, accurate enough and inexpensive to own and feed. Any individual who is trained and skilled in the use of a service rifle like the SKS would be a formidable foe.

mano3 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    go with what you have set up relative to how you think things will go down.

the M-1 Carbine would be my choice. much smaller and lighter translates to faster movement.
    and less likely to through & through possibly upsetting the neighbors.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

buckeye...does that jamming issue still arise if one goes with an after market stock, i.e. Tapco or ATI, or say even perhaps CBRPS? Just curious, cuz I was really considering one of these in the near future and going with Tapco or CBRPS's bull pup...and hey, its alright call me a Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by tashunkwitko View Post
    buckeye...does that jamming issue still arise if one goes with an after market stock, i.e. Tapco or ATI, or say even perhaps CBRPS? Just curious, cuz I was really considering one of these in the near future and going with Tapco or CBRPS's bull pup...and hey, its alright call me a Bubba.
    The jamming issue is in regards to the aftermarket magazine. It won't have anything to do with the stock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links