Idea's on AR Slings and Magazines...

This is a discussion on Idea's on AR Slings and Magazines... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have recently bought two ARs (SW and DD) and a Mossberg 930 SPX. I'd like recomendations on good Slings for them. I also need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Idea's on AR Slings and Magazines...

Idea's on AR Slings and Magazines...

I have recently bought two ARs (SW and DD) and a Mossberg 930 SPX. I'd like recomendations on good Slings for them.

I also need to stock up on some 20-30 round Mags for the ARs.

I will be ordering few non gun related things from the "Sportsmans Guide" and was wondering if their prices on Mags and Ammo are good as well?

2. Remove Ads

I use a Vtac sling with quick disconnect mounts pretty versatile and cinches up tight we you need it to. As for mag just shop around if you go to AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) they have an equipment exchange you can usually find good deals there.
    JerryMac likes this.

Basic PMag 30-rounders are about the most robust mags for the AR, and they currently run around $15, less if you buy several.

I concur with the VTac sling recommendation for the AR.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I am looking into purchasing a paracord sling for my AR....there is a guy over on XDforum, that sells some dang nice looking ones, might b someone on here too....just like the idea, as for mags.....ammo.... wow...just start internet looking,,, I usually buy most everything from my LGS ... by now I am getting a pretty good discount, course dollar signs flash when I walk through the door, lol, but not near as my eyes when i get to browsing, love that place !!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

sgb
    Magpul P Mags, Magpul MS 3

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Vickers padded sling, and plenty of pmags
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I use the same sling on several ARs of different configurations. Vickers VCAS. Excellent equipment. A google search will surely turn up all you'd want to know.

A Blackhawk shotgun shell sling is on the 930SPX. The sling is primarily a means for carrying more ammo more than it is a true "sling" as it doesn't aid in off-hand shooting whatsoever.

Sportsman's Guide does NOT have competitive prices on 5.56 Ammo IMO. I've gotten some deals on 12GA double aught buck during sales promotions. Generally speaking though, no. I'd recommend that you shop elsewhere for both types of ammo.

Last week AIM Surplus had a very attractive promotion on Federal 00-buck in a 50cal can but I would expect that they're sold out by now. AIM sells out in only a few days when they get it in. It may be worth looking into if double aught buck is the shotgun ammo you'll use.

I use Magpul, Lancers, Troy, and last but not least, D&H USGI teflon mags which are among my favorite. All are GTG. I have Thermolds that feed fine but I just don't trust them. Other USGI mags also fall into that category for reasons I can't fully articulate. Mags are disposable items but are so important to a properly functioning gun that it makes the most sense to just go with PMags and call it good.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

What do you plan to do with the rifles? Are you walking a lot? Will you be running a lot of reaction drills? Home defense? I used to run single point slings, but now I run VCAS slings on everything from 10.5" to 16" as well as a couple other rifles. I keep a single point around but it sees little use.

I use PMAGs, and aluminum mags from Okay and NHMTG for the most part. There's a new PMAG coming soon as well with a slimmer basepad.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

<--PMAGS
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

PMags and Padded Vickers sling for me.

Here is a thread form THR just on AR mags- overall consensus is PMags 1st, USGI 2nd

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=639588

I just ordered 15 Pmags from slimstaticalguns.com...

Still haven't ordered my slings yet. The purpose will be for home defense or whatever... I'm a Lefty if that will affect my choices.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For my RRA AR, I just use the Bulldog tactical sling. Very idiot proof. Easy to slip on and slip off of the AR's built in sling attachment. No special eqpt. needed and no complicated steps.

I prefer VTAC two point slings. They can tighten up your shooting position, keep your gun secure and aid in muzzle control.

VIP Member
    Since nobody has mentioned them... The VCAS is my preferred sling, and I have a good number of PMAGS that have served me well. I don't have any issue with the newer GI mags, really, but the PMAGS are just a bit better and more forgiving of bumps and bruises...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a paracord sling for my AR....there is a guy over on XDforum, that sells some dang nice looking ones, might b someone on here too....just like the idea, as for mags.....ammo.... wow...just start internet looking,,, I usually buy most everything from my LGS ... by now I am getting a pretty good discount, course dollar signs flash when I walk through the door, lol, but not near as my eyes when i get to browsing, love that place !!!
    Can you post a link to a thread there where he has pictures?

Thanks!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links