Ithaca 37 concerns...

This is a discussion on Ithaca 37 concerns... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been considering buying an Ithaca Featherlight model 37 in 12 ga w/ 20 inch smoothbore w/ rifled sights. I'm fine with it for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xXxplosive

Thread: Ithaca 37 concerns...

Ithaca 37 concerns...

I have been considering buying an Ithaca Featherlight model 37 in 12 ga w/ 20 inch smoothbore w/ rifled sights. I'm fine with it for hunting, but have a couple concerns its duel role for home defense over say a Remington 870. First its desirable to me because its lighter weight and a MUCH smoother action. Quality is higher IMHO over the newer 870. BUT it has only one action bar which bothers me. Also being bottom feed/eject there is no access to the chamber like the 870 has. So a malfunction may be harder to clear. Just looking for feedback pros /cons, thanx
    RIP Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I have been using an Ithaca 37 for about 35 years and have never had a problem with single bar. After hundreds or thousand rounds I have needed to adjust the shell stops but the gun is reliable other than that. I have not used it as home defense but for bird hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda,
    As a kid we had one. It bagged countless grouse and deer. Alot of turkeys went home with my brother and I using it in turkey shoots with slugs at 50 yds. I love the gun. But have read about the action bars being a weak point. Ever have any double feed issues?Is that why the shell stop needs tweeked? What is proper adjustment?Not familiar with it, thanx
    RIP Jeff Cooper

One of the shell stops was bent and the other developed a burr not allowing shells from the magazine. I straightened the one and filed the burrs off the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ithica Model 37 is one solid shotgun.............nuff said.
    Eagleks likes this.

Administrator
    Don't think twice about the one action bar or the bottom eject which is actually a great feature.
    The 37 is my Home Defense shotty. I have the short Police/Riot barrel on mine.
    The 37 feeds like a champ. Mine never burps. It always cranks them out.

There are not very many aftermarket Tac-Tickle accessories available for it (like none ) but, mine is 100% "Plain Jane" box stock except for the barrel.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    That's pretty. I'll take two or three.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

QKShooter,
    No tacti cool accessories needed beyond a surefire. I like the plain walnut stocks and rifled sights on her..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

LOVE THEM ! ! ! ! ! One thing I like in terms of the "home defense" ..... hold the trigger back and keep pumping, and it keeps on shooting. What more can you ask of a home defense shotgun. Loads quickly and easily as well. Also outshot a 4 yr champion skeet shooter with mine. He was ticked.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A great John Browning design. Single action bar is perfectly fine. The shotgun is sturdy and dependable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

M37...No Worries

I carried one in S.E. Asia for the better part of four years...3 tours of duty....1st Marine Div, 5th RECON (1966-1971). Then, when I grew-up and got a real job as an Ohio Highway Patrolman (35 years), I once again had an Ithaca up-front with me. I can honestly say that I NEVER had a failure to feed or fire...any thing, under any conditions. We were testing the effectiveness of Flechett rounds (small 1-1/2" pointed/winged darts) vs 00 Buck. The Flechettes would almost actually nail a VC to a tree....Sorry Charlie. I now have a "newer" Ithaca HD 12 GA, as well as an Ithaca "Sweet-Sixteen (GA) 28" Mod choke, that my Dad bought in 1947 (ser # verified by Ithaca), when he came home from WWII. I still use the old 16 GA every year to harvest small game....And I keep it loaded with 0 Buck as my back-up HD gun. Besides, I am somewhat prejudiced because they are now made in the Great State of Ohio. The fixed barrel to the receiver makes the weapon much stronger, more accurate and dependable that a threaded design. The Ithaca Gun Co. has done a fantastic job of QC in their new manufacturing facility in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, with advanced CNC lathes. Check-one out, the quality will blow-you-away (probably a poor choice of words) ;-)

Molon Labe...."Come and Take Them"

Live Free or Die

If you find a 37 - featherlight youth ... in 20 ga. let me know, and if it's priced decently it won't be for sale long. This one is for my grandkids.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links