Help me chose! I am 50/50 right now!!

This is a discussion on Help me chose! I am 50/50 right now!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking for a few weeks of trading my Sig P220 for a S&W MP15 assault rifle. I love my Sig P220 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me chose! I am 50/50 right now!!

Help me chose! I am 50/50 right now!!

I have been thinking for a few weeks of trading my Sig P220 for a S&W MP15 assault rifle. I love my Sig P220 to death but I have wanted an AR for a very, VERY, long time! What are your opinions on the M&P15 and maybe a different choice of AR. I believe the value on my P220 now is around 1300, I could chip in a little of my own money but I would like to stick close to the 1300 dollar range!

Thanks!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What in the world makes your 220 worth 1300?
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What in the world makes your 220 worth 1300?
    Oh boy must be made of something way different than every other one.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Elite stainless, trijicon night sights, Rosewood grips, SRT, and I am trading the TLR-1s with it too.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    Elite stainless, trijicon night sights, Rosewood grips, SRT, and I am trading the TLR-1s with it too.
    OK... You're getting closer. But, you are going to take a bath on it if you trade it. You will not get $1300... But if you do, more power to ya.

AR's... The M&P is acceptable. I'd rather have a Colt for the same money, but the M&P is certainly not a hunk of junk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What I am looking for is a quad rail system already on it, folding sights so I can put my eotech on it and not have them in the way, and some where down the line put the eotech 3X magnifier on it. I want an AR that can be changed to how I want it, lights, grips, and any other toys I would like to throw on there.

And yea sadly I will get screwed on how much I get for it, that pistol is the best that it can get now short of putting a red dot sight on it. I think if I trade I may get 1000 down to 750 on it. I am being hopeful tho, I can always hope they come close to the value of it.

Administrator
    Any AR is going to be modular and able to be customized to how you want. The big question is how much go vs. show do you want. I mean you can buy some off brand hunk of crap and put all kinds of stuff on it and it will look good, or you can spend the money right the first time on a solid rifle, bolt carrier and worry about the bling later. The M&P does fit the bill, but so do others, maybe even a little better.
    Another factor that is often discounted on internet forums is local help. If your LGS is selling M&P's, I'd be more inclined to tell you to go with that because they will be much more willing to help you out on stuff that might come out rather than if you go at it alone and order the latest name trend off the internet. Just something to think about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think that if you can trade your pistol for an M&P 15 then you are doing well. Good luck, I would trade that pistol away in a minute (if I really wanted an AR).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Huldra US made on the AR/M4 platform how ever piston rather than gas far better way of doing things will out last any gas drive one on the market And priced right.
    If you really want that style weapon give the Huldra a look.
    www.hulddraarms.com

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...or you can spend the money right the first time on a solid rifle, bolt carrier and worry about the bling later. The M&P does fit the bill, but so do others, maybe even a little better.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

+

You're the only one that can decide as to if you should trade your pistol off or not. I'm assuming its not you're only one, if so then I wouldn't do that but if you have others and you can trade with no regrets then by all means do it. Even if you have to take a little off of your pistol, $700 (+ or -) puts you well on your way to getting a good rifle. The modularity of the AR platform is something that is going to allow you to adjust the rifle's configuration to your liking. So....if you do get a rifle and there's something about it that you don't like about it, then you can easily adjust it accordingly.

Please keep us up to date on your progress, I'd like to hear about it.

DCG

I just ordered a Colt 6720 for $950. I added a few things so it was a little more, but that was the price of the rifle itself. I have other rifles and my main rifle is a BCM. That will stay my main rifle though I'll likely use this Colt lower with that upper.

Right now is absolutely, without a doubt, the bes time to buy a Colt AR. Just last year they were selling for over $1,200. Their lowers have the best lower parts available as well as the best standard bolt carrier group. I prefer their receivers as well.

Anyway, that's just what I'd recommend.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    You're better off selling your 220 outright and then going AR shopping.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'd jump on the AR, but that's because the AR or an AK is the next gun on my "to buy" list.

Trade it! I would take the ar in a heartbeat but then again I don't see what's so GREAT about a sig.....

You are MUCH more likely to need to use a handgun for defense than a rifle.

I say - keep the pistol. Save for the rifle.

And by the way - do you have a shotgun? I'd get a shotgun before any rifle, simply because I am more likely to need it.

Handgun = carry gun and movement inside the home.

Shotgun = static home defense

Rifle = area defense outside the home in a breakdown of law and order scenario (has happened, but not very likely)

Now, if you just WANT the rifle, and have other handguns, then that's a different story.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links