Are all WASR-10's used?

This is a discussion on Are all WASR-10's used? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just assumed you could get a new Century Arms WASR-10. Looked at one at the shop today and it really looked used. Chip out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are all WASR-10's used?

Are all WASR-10's used?

Just assumed you could get a new Century Arms WASR-10. Looked at one at the shop today and it really looked used. Chip out of the forarm wood, marks on the reciever and wear marks from use. They wanted $499. Had two mags and an old looking bayonet. Was not impressed. Asked if they had any new ones and they said they don't make new ones, just replace parts in old ones.

You can get a new AR-15 for not much more. I'd think $300 would be better for an old used AK.

The other shop had another AK with plastic stock and looked new for $599. They could get the WASR with wood stock for $530. Assumed that was the cost of a new rifle. These prices seem high for used guns.

So, if these are all used, what is the normal in shop price range for these? Does anyone make new ones?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

$499 is definitely too high for a used WASR. I bought mine new in 2008 for $450, I think. Look around Gunbroker and check Atlantic Firearms. I've never bought anything for Atlantic, but I've heard good things about them on another forum. I'd be surprised if you find anything for $300 though. Their price on new WASR-10s is $479, but of course you'll have to add shipping and transfer fees. I just checked Gunbroker and I saw one for $440 (+ shipping and transfer fees). Seems like you could definitely get a new one for under $500.

Lastly, the quality control among WASRs is very variable. Some are pretty good, but there are definitely some lemons. Good luck.

Need Info on AK's Here's some good info on buying AK's from a thread I recently started.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks. Come to think of it, I think the one gun I saw with the plastic stock was a Saiga. I remember the guy saying that one was imported from Russia. It was it great shape, looked new and was $599.

And Gander Mountain has a Romanian WASR-10 for $550.

Also, I don't mind paying a little more for a gun at a local store than online. I like supporting local buisnesses and I want to see the gun and hold it before I buy it.

Most of the cheaper ak rifles come from parts kits. The parts may be used. the receiver is new. barrel may be new as well. Cannot remember.
    Saiga and Arsenal are both actually new rifles, not used parts slapped together.

Sounds like the Saiga might be a good deal then.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Sounds like the Saiga might be a good deal then.

The Saiga is good after you convert it. Be prepared for a little work like adding a bullet guide etc.... I would rather get a good MAK-90 and convert it. Norinco's and Polytech are great AK's if you can find them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I paid $350ish for my Saiga, 1-1/2 yrs ago. By the time I converted it, I was invested about $550.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Wasr's are built from Romanian de-milled military (full auto) rifles. Usually the only part not milsurp are the receivers and the G2 trigger group. They sport unfinished wood stocks that look quite nice after sanding, staining and sealing. The finish on the metal parts is allegedly parkarized but I suspect it is a flat black spray paint. I like to tinker so I re-did the wood and applied a baked on finish. It looks hella nice now. Performance wise it has been super reliable.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Saiga 5.45x39
    Paid $299 plus shipping/trans fee
    Conversion parts $160

So I end up with a real Russian made AK for around $500.

Just assumed you could get a new Century Arms WASR-10. Looked at one at the shop today and it really looked used. Chip out of the forarm wood, marks on the reciever and wear marks from use. They wanted $499. Had two mags and an old looking bayonet. Was not impressed. Asked if they had any new ones and they said they don't make new ones, just replace parts in old ones.

You can get a new AR-15 for not much more. I'd think $300 would be better for an old used AK.

The other shop had another AK with plastic stock and looked new for $599. They could get the WASR with wood stock for $530. Assumed that was the cost of a new rifle. These prices seem high for used guns.

So, if these are all used, what is the normal in shop price range for these? Does anyone make new ones?

Once again a LGS that is clueless about firearms they sell and grossly over charges hoping to reel in suckers who have even less of a clue. Run away from this store and take you business elsewhere.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Saiga 5.45x39
    Paid $299 plus shipping/trans fee
    Conversion parts $160

So I end up with a real Russian made AK for around $500.

Looks good. Do you plan on completely converting it to an AKM?

Re: Are all WASR-10's used?

Sweet looking gun. Right now, the Russian imported one for $599 seems like the best deal. Don't think I'm ever going back to that other store.

Wife just ok'd the Russian imported one for $599. Just have to wait til the 15th for taxes. Two more stores to check out prices.

Around $500 is the average for a new WASR in my area. If you can find a shop that carries a variety of AKs you can usually find a better deal, or at least a higher quality AK for only a bit more. A LGS in my area has the WASR, multiple Arsenals, Saigas, an AMD-65 style, and a couple Bulgarian models (underfolder) and they're all reasonably priced considering the going rate these days.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Sweet looking gun. Right now, the Russian imported one for $599 seems like the best deal. Don't think I'm ever going back to that other store.

Wife just ok'd the Russian imported one for $599. Just have to wait til the 15th for taxes. Two more stores to check out prices.
    So, by Russian import you mean a Saiga that has been converted? Saiga's have to be imported in a sporting configuration by US law and converted to AK style (trigger group moved forward /pistol grip and rear AK style stock added) after they are in the US. Saiga's in 7.62x39 are being imported and sold for around $325-350 now. Basic converted Saiga rifles can be found for as little $500.

This is how Saiga rifles are imported (sporting configuration)

After basic conversion

Saiga IZ-132 7.62x39 Rifle with 16" Barrel #SAI-762
    Temp_down

Classic Arms has converted Saiga's for $479
    Temp_down

If you don't mind getting some advice from someone who has been owning, building and shooting AK style rifles for over 25 years.......do some more research and learn all you can about the options you have before you buy. It will save you money and possible future regret.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links