SBR AK, What To Do?

This is a discussion on SBR AK, What To Do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You can change out the rear trunion,slip another in there and screw it rather then using rivets. Just use nuts on the inside of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SBR AK, What To Do?

Senior Moderator
    You can change out the rear trunion,slip another in there and screw it rather then using rivets. Just use nuts on the inside of the reciever.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Watch these three videos.

The second video shows you step by step how to make the conversion.

The third video shows you exactly how to fill out the proper ATF paperwork and how to submit them.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You can change out the rear trunion,slip another in there and screw it rather then using rivets. Just use nuts on the inside of the reciever.
    I'm not sure if the pics I posted on the first page is true to every trunnion, but You'll notice to two holes for the rivets on the Draco are directly above and under each other whereas on the trunnion from a "normal" AK rifle are diagonal. So I'd have to drill a new hole into the Draco receiver, and then the other hole would be left open. Not sure that would be such a big deal. I think that's the route I'll go, seems the easiest. Now.... to save up the money and spend an eternity waiting for a tax stamp Still for roughly $750 after the tax stamp, Draco and any parts necessary, that's not a bad price for an SBR.

The 5.56 Krink does sound interesting, but even though I said this rifle would be used for mainly novelty and for fun, I'll probably somehow find a way to give it a "role". So 7.62x39 in such a tiny barrel would work out. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper than 5.56 ammo.

I watched those videos before. VERY informative. Especially slapping the ACE stock on there seems fairly simple, but everybody does the ACE stock. I'd like mine to be a little different :) The one pictured in my original post is the exact configuration I'd be after. Already have the stock and handguard I took off my AK rifle.

Senior Moderator
    You dont have to leave any holes open in any AK. There are plastic "rivet" kits that you just tap in the hole and they stay there. They look just like a rivet and they look good enough that no one will notice its NOT a rivet.

They only cost a few bucks for several and its a much better alternative than just having an ugly hole in your receiver.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

You dont have to leave any holes open in any AK. There are plastic "rivet" kits that you just tap in the hole and they stay there. They look just like a rivet and they look good enough that no one will notice its NOT a rivet.

They only cost a few bucks for several and its a much better alternative than just having an ugly hole in your receiver.
    I'm glad I made this thread. I never knew there was such a thing! Fantastic.

Now that I know a lot more about this, it seems like the most difficult part of this process is going to be containing myself while I wait until I have the money this spring to start this project. Actually the most difficult will be waiting on the ATF to deem me "worthy".

Senior Moderator
    Here ya go...
    TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS

Stick with me and I'll teach you all kinds of neat tricks...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I used those rivet look alikes on my saiga. for some reason they sent me two packs. now I got extra. they do not look any different than the real thing. one of mine has some wiggle but I drilled out a rivet a little wide.

if your plugging stock holes you should be good to go.

A few questions I have about filling out the paper work. First, it may sound stupid, but if I have the ATF send me the paper work now, do I have a certain amount of time to fill it out and send them my $200 check? How much time can I take? I'm not really planing on doing this until spring or summer this year. Second, after watching the video about filling out the paper work from Military Arms Channel, I see hear him mention multiple times abut affixing a passport photo. On the paper work it doesn't specifically say "passport". I don't have a Passport. I've never left the country, except when I was a little kid. Will any other type of photo work? Or MUST it be a passport photo?

VIP Member
    RKM you would go to a photographer and have them take a passport photo. It is a special kind or photo and has it's own film.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Moderator
    A few questions I have about filling out the paper work. First, it may sound stupid, but if I have the ATF send me the paper work now, do I have a certain amount of time to fill it out and send them my $200 check?
    No time limit. Take as long as you want.
    How much time can I take? I'm not really planing on doing this until spring or summer this year.
    See above.

Second, after watching the video about filling out the paper work from Military Arms Channel, I see hear him mention multiple times abut affixing a passport photo. On the paper work it doesn't specifically say "passport". I don't have a Passport. I've never left the country, except when I was a little kid. Will any other type of photo work? Or MUST it be a passport photo?
    It does not need to be a passport photo. A passport photo generally means a photo that is 2x2 inches in size, the same size of the block on the Form.

Most people stand against a blank wall, have someone with a digital camera take a picture, download it to the computer, edit it to be 2x2 and then print it out on regular or photo paper. Trim it to size, affix it to the Form with Scotch tape and send it.

Its simple and it fulfills the requirement.
    Bark'n likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

No time limit. Take as long as you want.

See above.

It does not need to be a passport photo. A passport phote generally means a photo that is 2x2 inches in size, the same size of the block on the Form.

Most people stand against a blank wall, have someone with a digital camera take a picture, download it to the computer, edit it to be 2x2 and then print it out on regualr or photo paper. Trim it to size, affix it to the Form with Scotch tape and send it.

Its simple and it fufills the requirement.
    Great! Thanks.

I might as well start looking around for Draco's. I said it a million times in this thread that this will be a novelty gun, something to have, just to have it for fun. But I know once I finish it, I'm going to want to give it some kind of role, haha. I can't wait to shoot it :)

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'm going to want to give it some kind of role, haha.
    That "haha" sounded like it had a maniacal tone to it.

Just sayin'
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think it's fairly obvious, at least to me, that it will become the designated SHTF Zombie battle rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That "haha" sounded like it had a maniacal tone to it.

Just sayin'
    You can't hear text you read on the computer ;) I'm not a maniac, no need to worry..... haha <---- ;)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links