SBR AK, What To Do?

This is a discussion on SBR AK, What To Do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bustin' your chops....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SBR AK, What To Do?

Just bustin' your chops.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I Just picked up a Draco over the weekend to turn into an SBR. I am going to run some rounds through it over the next week to make sure it shoots and is reliable before sending in my paper work. For the interim, I plan on pinning a longer flash hider on the barrel to make it greater than 16" until my paper work comes back. This way.. I can at least enjoy it for a few months with the stock on it and still have it legal.

Senior Moderator
    I plan on pinning a longer flash hider on the barrel to make it greater than 16" until my paper work comes back. This way.. I can at least enjoy it for a few months with the stock on it and still have it legal.
    You realize for it to be legal that it must be blind pinned and welded or soldered on with high temp solder right? It must be permantely affixed to fufill the ATF requirements.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You realize for it to be legal that it must be blind pinned and welded or soldered on with high temp solder right? It must be permantely affixed to fufill the ATF requirements.
    Affirmative. I am aware, and plan on having it welded on in similar fashion to the one that comes on the standard Draco. I appreciate the heads up though.. it is certainly not something you want to be out of compliance with. I am looking for a gunsmith in the SE Pennsylvania area that will do the drilling/taping for the stock and to also tack that long flash hider on. Ideally they will be able to do the necessary engraving as well. I am just trying to avoid sending it away to have the work done if at all possible.. although I may if the price is right.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I don't know how I've missed this thread until now. I'm four months into my wait for my stamp for my Draco. I'm anxious to post pics of it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I'm anxious to post pics of it.
    Please do.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My Draco SBR Project

This thread got me moving on my Draco SBR build. Here it is, still in pistol form. I am heading down to the local sheriffs office next week to get sign off, and send in my Form 1 and finger print cards. Once I get my stamp back, i am going to affix a stormwerkz folding mechanism along with an ace folding stock. For the time being, I am leaving it in pistol form and I am just going to drill/tap the rear trunion for a stormwerkz sling plate and run with that. I have the sling plate on order, and hopefully it will be here tomorrow or early next week. So far, I've only swapped out the foregrip for a Midwest Industries rail specific for the Burris Fast Fire, grip for a Hogue, and carefully removed the barrel nut with a cut off wheel to swap it out for a Krebs AR style flash hider. On order are a Tapco g2 trigger, Krebs selector/safety, and some different rail covers as the ones on there now were spares from my AR-15.

draco.jpg

I love that Mini-Draco sketch with the AFG!

Even in pistol form the Mini-Draco is very useful. It is not so much a substitute gun for a full sized rifle but more of a niche weapon.

The AK Pistol Manual of Arms Hammerhead Combat Systems
    The Lil’ Terror: The AK Pistol Hammerhead Combat Systems

Those articles sold me on getting a mini draco.

Quote Originally Posted by redsaber75 View Post
    Those articles sold me on getting a mini draco.
    They are tough to find right now, unless you want to pay an arm and leg for one. I was looking for a mini to go along with the standard Draco, but can't find one for a reasonable price anywhere. I am not paying $700 on gun broker for something that should be in the $350 - $450 price range.

The Draco is a cool and fun little AK pistol.. I can't wait for the NFA stamp to return... but it will be fall by then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links