SBR AK, What To Do?

This is a discussion on SBR AK, What To Do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been tossing around the idea of buying a Romanian Draco pistol, paying $200 tax, and adding an ACE folding stock to it to create ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SBR AK, What To Do?

SBR AK, What To Do?

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a Romanian Draco pistol, paying $200 tax, and adding an ACE folding stock to it to create an SBR. However, I realized I'd rather have the ability to mount normal AK stocks to it, like a wooden stock or a Romanian side wire folding stock. I know this involves some serious gun smithing adding the rear trunion and tang. But I was thinking whether it would be more cost effective to just buy a 16" AK and have the barrel cut down to about the same length as a Draco. Also replace the gas block with the front-sight/gas block like on the AK105's and Draco's.

What would be the cheaper, or easier route? I don't think either way is cutting corners. I just don't know how difficult changing the rear trunion would be. This would basically just be a fun/range/novelty gun. A have "just to have" type of thing. I already have both the Romanian lower handguard and wire side folder I recently took off my AK rifle. I replaced them with a surplus wooden stock and black plastic handguard. I'd like to use the Romanian stuff on an SBR AK.

This is what I want, courtesy of google images

I'd probably add a Krinkov style muzzle brake just for looks :)

2. Remove Ads

No idea what is easiest, but that sure looks like a fun rifle.

I'm interested in SBR too. Look forward to info from this thread. Done a little reading on the process and still up in the air on it. Started sketching in Photoshop with existing mini and parts from other rifles.

Additional option is to build. An SBR in 5.45 is tempting.

Senior Moderator
    The easiest way, by far, to make an AK SBR is to start with the Draco.

The gas block and gas tube is already where it needs to be to work sufficiently. Trying to do the same with a standard AK opens up a can of worms that most people dont have the tools or the skills to deal with.

Its not a hard process, just use a Form 1, fill it out along with the fingerprint cards and the Citizenship form, then send it to the ATF with a check for 200 bucks. When it comes back approved, you can attach whatever stock you want to it.

The AK SBR's are among the more practical SBR's due to that fact that there is less velocity loss from that short barrel than most others.

I've built a few AK SBR's and I always start out with the Draco.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The easiest way, by far, to make an AK SBR is to start with the Draco.

The gas block and gas tube is already where it needs to be to work sufficiently. Trying to do the same with a standard AK opens up a can of worms that most people dont have the tools or the skills to deal with.

Its not a hard process, just use a Form 1, fill it out along with the fingerprint cards and the Citizenship form, then send it to the ATF with a check for 200 bucks. When it comes back approved, you can attach whatever stock you want to it.

The AK SBR's are among the more practical SBR's due to that fact that there is less velocity loss from that short barrel than most others.

I've built a few AK SBR's and I always start out with the Draco.
    Is it worth adding a rear trunion/tang to use "normal" AK stocks? I don't want to be stuck with an ACE stock, even though that's the easiest way to do it.

Senior Moderator
    You could, but be aware some of the Dracos,(not all) have the internal blocks for the folding stocks.
    You may have to modify any other stock to fit into the receiver by removing material to allow it to go in.

I drill and tap two holes into the existing back plate, then add a folding stock mechanism,then attach whatever stock I am putting on there on it.

You could add an attachment that screws directly to the back plate which takes a buffer tube for an AR collapsible stock and screw it in. That would allow you to use any stock that fits an AR.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

You could, but be aware some of the Dracos,(not all) have the internal blocks for the folding stocks.
    You may have to modify any other stock to fit into the receiver by removing material to allow it to go in.

I drill and tap two holes into the existing back plate, then add a folding stock mechanism,then attach whatever stock I am putting on there on it.

You could add an attachment that screws directly to the back plate which takes a buffer tube for an AR collapsible stock and screw it in. That would allow you to use any stock that fits an AR.
    I know I can tap two holes and easily add an ACE stock. As for the AR stocks, They can stay on my AR. I'm thinking of removing the internal block, or trunnion.

I think what I'd need to do to accomplish what I want to do it remove this by drilling out the rivots

And add this with new rivots

Then should be able to just slap on any old "normal" AK stock, like my side folder, wooden stock or anything that fits a normal stamped receiver.

I may not be exactly correct, but these trunnions are basically just attached by the rivots, correct? I believe those two parts just slide right into the back of the receiver (kinda like the AR gas block pins "push right out" with ease ). Looks like I'd end up with an open hole from and old rivot on the bottom and a new hole would have to be drilled through the receiver toward the front of the pistol grip. This may be more work than I'm thinking it is. Which is why I thought cutting the barrel and adding a AK105 style gas block might be easier. Actually I don't know what would be easier. Starting with a Draco just seems to be common sense.

Thanks everybody so far :)

Arsenal has a new Krink pistol in 5.56 coming out this month too. That would make a beautiful base for an AK sbr I think. But, like HotGuns said, 5.56 will lose more "oomph" out of the short barrel than 7.62x39.

But it's still an option.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Moderator
    Which is why I thought cutting the barrel and adding a AK105 style gas block might be easier. Actually I don't know what would be easier. Starting with a Draco just seems to be common sense.
    You would have to cut the gas tube, shorten the piston to fit,redrill the gas hole in the barrell and then pin it all together. I wouldn't even attempt it without a lathe or a milling machine.
    One of the advantgages to using the Draco as a base is that all of this is already done. Pretty much all you have to do is attach a stock to it and change it to a better looking forearm. I like the MidWest Industries rail for this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Hot guns what about the parts count? How did you work around that?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My understanding of a Draco SBR is that you'll also have to bring it up to 922 standards with American parts. I've only done a little looking into the subject but that was my understanding because the Draco pistol doesn't have anything American on it and wasn't required to have it when it was imported.

Senior Moderator
    Tapco FCG. Magpul stock,grip,grip adapter,MWI quad rail, folding stock mechanism, all built in the USA which is more than the needed parts count.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Actually an idividual that makes a gun for himself does not have to concern himself with 922r.

If an individuals makes the gun for resale, then he does and it must be 922r compliant, which means that at least 10 pasts used must be of American manufacture.

Yeah, its stupid, but that is the way it is.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I didn't have any trouble with compliance during my saga build. can't imagine the draco is an different. the trigger group almost covers it.

You would have to cut the gas tube, shorten the piston to fit,redrill the gas hole in the barrell and then pin it all together. I wouldn't even attempt it without a lathe or a milling machine.
    One of the advantgages to using the Draco as a base is that all of this is already done. Pretty much all you have to do is attach a stock to it and change it to a better looking forearm. I like the MidWest Industries rail for this.
    Yikes, that does sound like more work. I didn't realize what would be involved in that. Sounds like slapping a stock on it is the easiest way, though I'd still rather change out the rear trunnion to accept my Romy side folder :) I'd wouldn't be putting a rail on it though, but my Romy lower handguard. I'd consider putting on an Ultimak rail system (with a micro dot), if one is available for Draco's.

922r laws are absurdly pointless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links