Lets see those SBR's

Lets see those SBR's

This is a discussion on Lets see those SBR's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lately we have been having lots of discussion on Short Barreled Rifles, more commonly known as SBR's . Most states allow ownership of them, all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Lets see those SBR's

Senior Moderator

Lets see those SBR's

Lately we have been having lots of discussion on Short Barreled Rifles, more commonly known as SBR's. Most states allow ownership of them, all one has to do is get an ATF approved tax stamp. The SBR is defined as any rifle having a barrel of less than 16 inches. Some of the M-4 clones have 14.5" barrels but to make them legal, they have a pinned or welded flash suppressor on them that makes them the legal length.

I've received several callls about them in the last few days, I'm beginning to think that it may be the latest fad in the world of AR's. They are becoming popular with the Police, as they are easier to get in and out of a patrol car without hanging up, they are much better for room clearing due to the decreased length and although the ballistics of the .223 are diminished with the shortys, that shortcoming can be overlooked simply by shooting the bad guys more than once.

So, lets see what you have. I know there are a few of us here that have them and build them and I have to admit they are pretty tough looking. AR's, AK's or anything else less than the "legal limit" is welcome here.

I'll start it off with just a few of the builds I have done.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

LMT 10.5" with Daniel Defense RIS II Mk18 rail on a Noveske lower

Same rifle but with the KAC Triple Tap brake! LMT SOPMOD (now has a B5 SOPMOD) and the KAC front sight. I'm trying the fixed DD for a couple months as well as running the standard tailcap on my light instead of the cable like I usually do. Oh, I also removed the vert grip and am running LaRue index clips to see how that goes. I hate not having my very grip so that'll likely to back on soon.

LMT 12" MRP. This lasted for a very short time as I'm not a piston AR fan. Instead of swapping the barrel I just sold the upper.

LWRC PSD 8" 6.8 on an LMT lower. This is the only piston AR I still own. This stays in my office. I have a better pic, but can't find it right now.

My buddy's PWS Diablo 7.5" upper on the LMT lower. I'm shocked at how soft shooting this rifle is. He has both the 5.56 and 7.62x39 uppers. I don't see a use over my 10.5", but they are a lot of fun with an insane amount of blast, especially with the AAC Brakeout he has on the 5.56 now...

Rock and Glock likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here are a few photo's of the SBR project I completed just a few weeks ago. I assembled my SBR using a Kel-Tek PLR-16 pistol as the base weapon. Kel-Tec actually sells the gun I wanted to own and the two company website pix here show a K-T built gun which is identical to mine. However, since the factory weapon is "restricted" to LEO's, security and military purchasers, I made my own. I simply applied for my class III stamp and after it arrived in December I installed a factory folding stock I purchased directly from Kel-Tec. Luckily, everything I needed for my project gun comes from the factory either already installed or can be purchased directly from Kel-Tec as an accessory. FYI, the factory built SBR - called the SU-16D - is essentially a PLR-16 with K-T's SU-16C rifle folding stock installed. I had everything for my weapon other than a shoulder stock and all I needed was the "Charlie" rear stock to finish my SBR project gun so I ordered one from the K-T website store for $80. My SBR has a 9" barrel while the SBR's offered by K-T have either a 9" or 12" barrel. FWIW, I saved about $200 by making the gun myself over buying the factory model. In fact, the savings paid for my class III stamp from the BATF!

In the photo of my gun I show a 5" barrel extension and a vertical grip on the gun, but I removed it and currently have only an AR style flash suppressor installed. I'm also waiting for a Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip to come in the mail (should have been here 8 Feb as per the shipping info) so it can replace the vertical grip. I'll update this post with a current photo when I get all my new parts installed.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rachilders; February 9th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

sgb
    My 11.5" build

It's my niece's favorite AR

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    Ya'll are making me giddy.
    Rock and Glock and SpencerB like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Ya'll are making me giddy.

I posted this so that you could get yours built and put it up for all to see. Dont dissapoint us...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Nice toys. Wish I could play too.

RKM
    By June or July, I'll make my second post in this thread, hopefully.

I think that Consiglio guy really likes his AR's...

its beginning to look like he has a small fortune in them.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    jonconsiglio its always great to see your superb equipment.....
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

^^^^ that's what she said.....Hahahahahaha

I should buy a draco. Wish I had money. My Birthday is coming up everyone...

Does my .30 Carbine with side folder count?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Thanks.. I didn't mean to put an exclamation point after "triple tap brake", on the iPad the ! and , are on the same key. It's too late to edit it. It just looks weird so I thought I'd mention it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Got most of my stuff from Magpul today (still missing some rail mounted sling attachments) so I took a couple of new photos of my "modified" PLR-16. This is one fun gun. It's a hoot to shoot and you wouldn't believe the looks I get when I take it to the local gun range!
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links