Ak-47, two choices

This is a discussion on Ak-47, two choices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Once I prefer stamped than milled but thats just me. The stamped ak's have been battle proven tough pieces of junk ( ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ak-47, two choices

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I prefer stamped than milled but thats just me. The stamped ak's have been battle proven tough pieces of junk ( thats a compliment) for years.
    And so did the milled. The actual AK-47 was milled. The AKM was when they switched over to stamped receivers, and used the stamping process to save time and money during the manufacturing of the weapon.

The milled are a bit heavier, but also a bit more durable. However, I don't think many of us are going to put an AK through enough abuse to break the receiver on either a stamped or milled version.

For the OP, personally, I would steer clear of the under-folder, especially at that price. Yes, underfolding stocks look cool, but they really suck to shoot. The weapon is lighter, so follow up shots are generally slower. It's pretty much impossible to get a good cheek weld too.

If you really want some sort of stock that shortens the OAL, then there are better options that you can replace the standard stock models with. But with the under-folding stocks, you are pretty much stuck with that stock design because of how they modify the receiver for the stock.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I had a yugo underfolder and swapped it out for a saiga that I did a conversion on.

the underfolder stock starts to wiggle. will second no good check weld. parts arr harder to get. at least aftermarket stuff. I regretted the purchase after the initial glow wore off.

I do not regret the saiga. was able to convert it to the configuration I wanted. plus the parts are new. not surplus.

I hope everyone appreciates the arr I inserted in my prior text. I am in fact a pirate. if you can guess where my skull and crossbones tattoo is I will send you one used metal ar mag.

now this thread just got a little more exciting.

ps. look for pirates saiga conversions. they are slick and easy to do.

RKM
    That prices for a used Yugo is expensive. I had the chance to buy a NEW Yugo M70 for $580.

I like the look of the old milled receivers. I just like the old look. If money meant nothing to me, I'd have to get myself a Polytech Legend. It's so subtle, but I love the way the rear of the receiver slants inward.

I like the Russian RAK red classic from Antlantic Firearms.....pricy but might be worth it even after paying your state's sell tax once it arrives. I am picking mine up tomorrow from my local FFL, hope this one won't blow up in my face like the last one from IO Inc. There are a lot of junks out there, even buying new.

Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I hope everyone appreciates the arr I inserted in my prior text. I am in fact a pirate. if you can guess where my skull and crossbones tattoo is I will send you one used metal ar mag.

now this thread just got a little more exciting.

ps. look for pirates saiga conversions. they are slick and easy to do.
    When i was young and looking for work I wanted to be a Pirate. They weren't hiring so I joined the Navy. Ba dum bum!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I tossed the idea around for a bit. tried the army but they wouldn't take me.

I am looking and search through the internet,,,,
    hoping to FIND a great deal,,,,, few exits,,,, but
    I did run across this a week or so ago.

USAammo: Pistol Ammo Rifle Ammo Best Prices in Stock

I believe it was $599.99 reduced from the original price.

If you can go the Arsenal 7.62 milled, then do it. If not, you gamble. Last I knew a couple years ago, there were still some AMD-65s in this neck of the woods for less than five bills! I've been out of the market since I already have what I want. Bulgarian milled receiver SLR-95. The days are gone for the quality surplus stuff. Those of you who have been thinking about getting a quality AK have been thinking too long in my honest opinion. Guy at work has been asking me also......I told him too late for a good deal on a 7.62.....now the price pretty much tells what you can get into for quality. It happens....firearms market is one of the most lucrative AND one of the most unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you can go the Arsenal 7.62 milled, then do it. If not, you gamble. Last I knew a couple years ago, there were still some AMD-65s in this neck of the woods for less than five bills! I've been out of the market since I already have what I want. Bulgarian milled receiver SLR-95. The days are gone for the quality surplus stuff. Those of you who have been thinking about getting a quality AK have been thinking too long in my honest opinion. Guy at work has been asking me also......I told him too late for a good deal on a 7.62.....now the price pretty much tells what you can get into for quality. It happens....firearms market is one of the most lucrative AND one of the most unforgiving.
    Everyone talks about the quality differences but what are we really talking about here? Accuracy or reliability? Collector value? I can appreciate quality but what are you really sacrificing?

Just like the guys at work ask me all the time........I tell them the best AKs for the money are already gone....now you'll have to pay for something decent. I saw an AMD-65 a little over a year ago in a pawn shop for $495. I should have but didn't. Basically I was still buying ammo as first priority then. Still remains finding a quality AK in 7.62x39 and reliable this day in age. I love my milled receiver Arsenal, but I could pretty much make anything work with a bit of elbow grease and spare parts. A chrome lined barrel would be a plus no matter what to me. There's an old saying (maybe I made it up).....pay now or pay later. Quality firearms are getting harder to find and more expensive every day. Buddy of mine at work finally gave up on getting an AK and bought a new rice burner car instead..........looking toward higher gasoline prices, I'd say he made a good investment.

Senior Moderator
    The Saigas are hard to beat. Fit and finish is better and they just feel superior to most of the stuff out there.

Classic Arms has the best deal going on the Saigas.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links