New AR builds, "The Twins"

This is a discussion on New AR builds, "The Twins" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My two new AR builds. The lower one is 5.56 the upper one is 22LR. A few months ago I decided to build matching AR's ...

Thread: New AR builds, "The Twins"

New AR builds, "The Twins"

My two new AR builds.
    The lower one is 5.56 the upper one is 22LR. A few months ago I decided to build matching AR's
    a few of the big factors why I did this is that 22 ammo is cheap, the range I belong to only allows static shooting
    with rifle calibers, where as 22LR is fine in the pistol bays, there for I can move and shoot all I want. I am not as familiar
    with the AR platform as I am with AK's so this will allow me to develop the muscle memory needed for the operating of the AR.
    I also compete in USPSA with pistol, and wanted something to compete with in the rim-fire steel challenge matches, this will also give me
    good trigger time behind the AR. I will be shooting the 5.56 allot but will have to travel a bit further to a public range.

The 5.56 I used a Sun Devil lower it has a PSA LPG I also went with PSA 16" upper
    it as a Magpull trigger guard and a Magpull BUIS, Troy Ind. quad rail, Sure fire light
    and Luccid red dot optics and a Badger Creek charging handle. I use MilSpec mags

The 22LR I used a Sun Devil lower, it has a RRA LPG. The upper is a dedicated Tactical Solutions 22LR
    It also has a Troy Ind. quad rail and a Luccid red dot and Badger Creek charging handle extension.
    I am using BlackDog mags.

They both have single point sling mounts, not shown are the slings.
    had to give my CCW some camera time as well, Glock 30

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Longbow; February 12th, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

2. Remove Ads

Man these are beautiful. I LOVE my ar15's. I can't believe I thought about abandoning these for AK platform. Congrats and great job on the builds. What was your grand total per rifle?

They seem nice. The only part I do not understand is why two? Couldn't you have just bought .22lr upper and swapped them out as needed.

Aside from the confusion on my part I would say your good to go. Two is better than one.

2 is one and one is none! Hahaha

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Man these are beautiful. I LOVE my ar15's. I can't believe I thought about abandoning these for AK platform. Congrats and great job on the builds. What was your grand total per rifle?
    As they sit I am right in the 800.00 to 900.00 range on the 5.56
    the 22 is right in the 700.00 range, give or take a hundred bucks on them.
    I wanted to build good AR's yet wanted to keep the cost under control. I was able to get some good deals in the process.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    They seem nice. The only part I do not understand is why two? Couldn't you have just bought .22lr upper and swapped them out as needed.

Aside from the confusion on my part I would say your good to go. Two is better than one.
    I was really thinking about doing it this way. But I liked that thought of being able to grab one and go. I was able to swing a good deal on the other Sun Devil lower so I went for it. now I have two complete guns. I think it worked out well.
    Thanks

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I like the idea of putting together a .22LR AR as a way to practice and to familiarize yourself with the platform. I'm wondering how a .22LR AR build would compare to the .22 AR that S&W already has out? I'd like to see a comparison test if anyone ever does one.

On another note; what color is the Glock in? Is it desert or coyote tan?

Links