AR Tribute "assembly" story.

This is a discussion on AR Tribute "assembly" story. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in the mood to do a "custom" build with a AR. Not long a go had an uncle tell me some stories about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AR Tribute "assembly" story.

I was in the mood to do a "custom" build with a AR.

Not long a go had an uncle tell me some stories about Vietnam, and the other tell me (very vaguely) about some work he did in Panama (central America) Special Forces stuff. Was moveing to say the least.

Went to the gun show in Fort Worth yesterday looking for a stripped lower. As usaull the same stuff...Spikes, RRA, Stag, Bushmaster. Some had zombie stuff, infidel, Don't tread on me etc.etc. some had nothing, but nothing that stood out.

Came up to the SOG Armory booth. I know about SOG and thier reputation for shady practices etc. but hey had unique laser etched stripped lowers. The fella was receptive, patient with my questions, let me handle several different ones.

I came across one and was moved....with those stories fresh on my mind. Picked it up after a bit of haggling on the price.

This will go with a PSA light weight middy kit, that was ordered early last week.

I'll use this thread to update when I get all the goods in and put'er together.
    pistola and msgt/ret like this.

Update

Got the kit in!

Check contents:

All bitz accounted for, they even tossed in a FOL magpul trigger guard (halla!)

First things first check FSB... Good, no cant, pins in good.
    Look over barrell in barrle with LED light:

All looks good.

Check upper:
    all looks good, feed ramps good (no machine marks/burs), has been fired.

BCG: All as expected, staked. Bolt MP'ed and extractor is good/proper insert:

The assembly went smooth (as expected) trigger is allot nicer than that used DD FCG I had for years. Crisp break no grit.
    Saftey transitions smoothly, and take down pins work with a light push of the finger....smooth, no punch or the like.

Upper/lower fit tight with VERY little play
    Laser etchings good

Added BCM CH mod4, Staked RE and nut (both sides):

Done! Except the TLR 1 light which will go on the 1-130 side of foregrip (neet to get a 2.5 rail to mount)
    Also on the fence about a rear sight...might get the DD Fixed or HK style...not sure. For now a chopped A2 is ok.

Great kit for the money! LPK was surprisingly well made, over all satisfied with quality of parts, assembly of upper.

Have a mix of ammo ready for it. So Will report back after a while.

B
    WHEC724 likes this.

Looks good to me.

I am currently on the verge of building a new AR, and giving PSA a hard look, I'm just not quite sure about them yet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool story. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

sgb
    Very Nice, I've been very impressed with PSA .
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Looks great... Enjoy!

Be Safe!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Looks good to me.

I am currently on the verge of building a new AR, and giving PSA a hard look, I'm just not quite sure about them yet.
    Exactly what he said.

Is the zip tie just a budget empty chamber indicator?
    Last edited by tubadude; March 1st, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

When I opened the box, the zip tie was in the chamber....long peice down the bore, loop sticking out he ejection port.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    by the way what did it actually cost? and where did you get all the pieces...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    by the way what did it actually cost? and where did you get all the pieces...
    All the "pieces" come with the Rifle Kit,If you log into the Palmetto State Armory website click the tab for "rifle kits" they usually start out around the $480.00 mark,but if you upgrade the parts it raises the cost,In Other Words,the standard AR forearm is freebut if you select the "Free float Quad rail" that will cost you extra and raise the cost of the kit that much.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not to hijack your thread, but I was thinking of building an AR. What lead you to pick the PSA kit over others? Two last questions, what kit did you use, and what do you think are worthwhile options to upgrade in the PSA kit?

Billed $549.xx with shipping included.

Leight weight middy Kit...it's not a pencil barrell.

I picked PSA cause, for one, per the specs the price they offer is hard to resist. Plus the options (which are discounted with the kit) available that augment the price realtime. Other little features that include CH, BCG cheaper with kit. MOE upgrade for 20 bucks for the forearm....normally $30. MOE grip for $11.00 vs $20.00.

If all was bought seperate or from another vendor (equal to the specs) it could've went well over $700...

VIP Member
    atctimmy is just a wee bit jealous. Nice build.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I gotta stop reading these custom assembly threads. My butt puckers when I see the prices you paid vs. what I hemorrhaged for mine.

My upper, less BCG and charging handle, was twice what your rifle is.

BTW, PSA aside from their crappy customer service, seems to be doing fairly well quality wise. I am running a PSA lower with their LPK, and their premium auto BCG. only a little over 500 rounds down the pipe and little to no wear, on the wear points in the rifle as a whole. The bolt cam pin shows the most wear. Their trigger is still nice and crisp with no creep. I'll let you all know after my training class (3/10 & 11/12) after a brisk 2 day 1k+ round count.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I gotta stop reading these custom assembly threads. My butt puckers when I see the prices you paid vs. what I hemorrhaged for mine.

My upper, less BCG and charging handle, was twice what your rifle is.

BTW, PSA aside from their crappy customer service, seems to be doing fairly well quality wise. I am running a PSA lower with their LPK, and their premium auto BCG. only a little over 500 rounds down the pipe and little to no wear, on the wear points in the rifle as a whole. The bolt cam pin shows the most wear. Their trigger is still nice and crisp with no creep. I'll let you all know after my training class (3/10 & 11/12) after a brisk 2 day 1k+ round count.
    In the notes section in the order form were you can add deatials about your order. I mentioned "take your time do it right".

Awesome on the classes. Took a local class years ago with my Oly. was fun, but my dang castle nut kept coming loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links