AR Barrel Length Poll

This is a discussion on AR Barrel Length Poll within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I often find this question by first time buyers and I'm sure it has been highly discussed on this forum. This is just a simple ...

View Poll Results: What barrel length and gas system do you use on your AR?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10.3", Carbine

2 2.08%
  • 11.5", Carbine

2 2.08%
  • 12.5", Carbine

0 0%
  • 14.5", Carbine

4 4.17%
  • 14.5", Mid Length

3 3.13%
  • 16", Carbine

41 42.71%
  • 16", Mid Length

27 28.13%
  • 18", Mid Length

6 6.25%
  • 18", Rifle

2 2.08%
  • 20", Rifle

8 8.33%
  • Greater than 20", Rifle

1 1.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR Barrel Length Poll

Sponsor

AR Barrel Length Poll

I often find this question by first time buyers and I'm sure it has been highly discussed on this forum. This is just a simple poll, I'd like to see what you guys are using.

Thanks!
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    I have one 18", three 16" and one 11.5".
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsor
    I realize I misspelled Poll (PULL) and length (lenght) . Mods, if you could change this please do! Just a mistype

Cool

Stag Model 15 with 16" barrel.

P28091423.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have one that is 11.5" that I am eventually replacing, one 20" and one yet to be determined. Will probably end up being one 20" and two 16" carbines.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I prefer the 20" over the shorter ones. It's still a very handy length for vehicular use or home defense and it doesn't contribute to a loss of velocity. Don't really see many advantages for using shorter barrels in the AR 15. I've never been overly enamored with .223 velocity performance anyway. It's pretty middle-of-the-road in the .22 center fire cartridge line-up.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I voted 20", just because I have two that are 20" (a colt HBAR and a retro Vietnam rifle I recently put together, with an SP1 upper on a new Armalite lower w/ A-1 furniture) and one 16" (Spikes, carbine). So, 2 to 1. All three are awesome, though the 16" Spikes is the HD rifle.

RKM
    I have a 16" carbine. It's certainly going to be the most popular for many reasons. With 16" being the shortest you can go without paper work and carbine being the original M4 length gas-system. It's probably the most produced combination out there.

I think ideally, the best is a 16" mid-length. Mid-length's run smoother and 16" gives you a good combination of velocity with short length. Nothing wrong with the ol' 16" carbine though. Nothing wrong with any of them. Depends on what you want to do.

Why limit yourself to one size?

I'm currently shooting a 16" carbine gas system, so that's how i voted, but I will be replacing it with a 14.5" mid as soon as (financially) possible.

I like my 18" (16" w/ 2" muzz brake) it adds a noticeable amount of weight , but also beefs up my specs making it just a bit more effective than a standard 14" w/ 2" brake. The weight is really more of an aid than a hindrance, especially at range. And it helps with muzzle climb.

I have 8" through 20" with my 10.5" and 14.5" being my two primary rifles, the 14.5" seeing the most use. My 14.5" is a mid length. If I was recommending a rifle to a new shooter, it would be a 16". A Colt with a carbine gas system is a fine choice, but I'd probably lean towards a BCM or Centurion 16" mid length, especially if keeping the FSB.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a 16 inch Carbine.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

depends... 16" with MID for tac work and fun, 24" for precision.. i sold my 20's

24", man I can't even remember the last time I saw one that long. I have an 18" Centurion Mk12 on order for precision work. My buddy's will give ten shot groups under 1 MOA with match ammo and an S&B 3-12. The 24" just seems so long, but I guess it's good for varmints since it shoots a little flatter.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links