SIG556 Range Report. 11 Different Ammo **PICS**

This is a discussion on SIG556 Range Report. 11 Different Ammo **PICS** within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I went out to Elm Fork today to do a little test run. Up to this point all I had run though my ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bigmacque

Thread: SIG556 Range Report. 11 Different Ammo **PICS**

SIG556 Range Report. 11 Different Ammo **PICS**

Ok, so I went out to Elm Fork today to do a little test run.
    Up to this point all I had run though my SIG556 was 55gr ammo.
    Not happy with the grouping of the 55gr stuff, with the faster twist rate of my rifle, I thought I would try some of the heavier stuff and see what happened.
    The goal of today's trip to the range was not to sight in the new scope but to find which load would group best.
    Once I make a determination I will buy some more of that ammo, sight in the new scope and that will be the load I use from here on out.
    Each target was at 50 yrds and has 20 rounds though it.

Rifle:
    SIG556 SWAT Patrol
    16" Barrell
    1:7 Twist Rate

Optics:
    Vortex Diamondback BDC 4-12X40

Target 1

American Eagle XM855
    5.56mm
    62gr Green Tip FMJ BT

Target 2

Prvi
    69gr HP BT Match

Target 3

Hornady TAP-FPD
    75gr HP BT

Target 4

Fiocchi
    #223MKC
    69gr Sierra Match King HP BT

Target 5

Fiocchi
    #223MKD
    77gr Sierra Match King HP BT

Target 6

BVAC
    5.56 mm
    75gr Lake City Tactical HP BT
    AMM-239 at Cheaper Than Dirt

Target 7

BVAC
    5.56mm
    62gr Pointed Soft Point
    AMM-277 at Cheaper Than Dirt

Target 8

62gr FMJ
    AMM-280 at Cheaper Than Dirt

Target 9

BVAC
    64gr Pointed Soft Point Bonded
    AMM-279 at Cheaper Than Dirt

Target 10

BVAC
    64gr Pointed Soft Point

Target 11

BVAC
    69gr Sierra Match King HP BT
    AMM-271 at Cheaper Than Dirt
    Last edited by Medic218; February 16th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

2. Remove Ads

I like the way the Prvi 69gr, Hornady TAP-FPD and BVAC 69gr(Target 11) performed the best.
    I think for the money though I'll probably end up going with the BVAC.

Very nice, goes to show that very weight ammo zeroes differently.

VIP Member
    I have to do the same thing with my SIG. I have a shelf full of match ammo to test to see which one mine likes.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I have to do the same thing with my SIG. I have a shelf full of match ammo to test to see which one mine likes.
    I've talked with other SIG556 owners and what works best in their rifle in is as different as the person shooting the rifle.
    You just have to get to the range and have some fun to see what you rifle likes best.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    What the hell? They're all dead!
    Medic218 and Chris Dawg like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Nice rifle! Wish I could afford one.

Nice shooting. I think they all are acceptable, but it looks like you have at least 3 good ones to choose from. The Hornady, the Prvi and the BVAC 69 gr. Sierra bullet.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Great range report! Thank you! Looks like you found some winners. Congrats.

Edit: And MAN DO I WANT ONE OF THOSE SOMETHING FIERCE!!!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a few questions,were the shots from a sturdy rest,and with the way the scope is mounted are you able to get a decent cheek weld on the butt stock.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was shooting form a rest on the front only and the cheek weld could have been better.
    I might me looking for some shorter rings in the near future.

Some of the target where I seem to have a decent group with the exception of a couple stragglers.....I know I can credit that to not always controlling my breathing or jerking the trigger a little. Of course some of the fliers were just that.

Sig 556 Patrol Aftermarket Parts?

Hi everyone - new to this site as I have just purchased my first 556 (Patrol version) after shooting a friend's for a while. Two questions:

(1) where can I get a quad rail forend akin to the one that comes stock with the SWAT Patrol? All I can find are the Pistol and Full Rifle versions (i.e., does the Pistol version fit the shorter Patrol rifle forend, as the full rifle version is too long for the Patrol).

(2) hate the stock and want to replace it but the rifle came with the folding stock that does not have a tube to install a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and apologies in advance for what are obviously ignorance questions.

Regards,

John

Start a new thread.. you will get more responses. Also, it's lame to cross post your same question in multiple threads.

That said.. you will probably find your answer quickly on a SIG specific forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jxbjr View Post
    Hi everyone - new to this site as I have just purchased my first 556 (Patrol version) after shooting a friend's for a while. Two questions:

(1) where can I get a quad rail forend akin to the one that comes stock with the SWAT Patrol? All I can find are the Pistol and Full Rifle versions (i.e., does the Pistol version fit the shorter Patrol rifle forend, as the full rifle version is too long for the Patrol).

(2) hate the stock and want to replace it but the rifle came with the folding stock that does not have a tube to install a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and apologies in advance for what are obviously ignorance questions.

Regards,

John

I finally made it back to the range the other day and went to Target Master in Garland.
    I liked this place. It seemed decently ventilated and there was plenty of room on the rifle range.
    Also, a 50 yard, indoor rifle range thats open every day of the week is nice to have when your schedule or the weather doesn't permit going on certain days.
    I wasn't able to shoot my M855 like I wanted to but oh well.
    Here is the rest of what I shot.
    To say the least I wasn't as pleased with this outing. I was pretty tired and probably didn't do as well as I could have.

I also ditched the scope mount and went with some lower rings similar to the Burris XTR rings.
    The scope now sits just a hair off the rail.
    Also, I'm not 100% sure it if was my lack of sleep or me lowering the position of the scope but my eyes got tired towards the end and I had a hard time focusing the cross hairs on the target.
    I adjusted the manual focus on the scope and even changed the eye relief but it was still blurry a bit.
    The BSA I used on my 522 afterwards though didn't give me any vision issues.

Prvi 69gr Match
    Not too bad, I think this may end up being my go to ammo.

Hornady 75gr TAP
    Not too bad but for the price I think I'll look for other options.

Fiocchi 77gr SMK
    I was pretty surprised by how well this one did based on how it performed the last time I shot it.

BVAC 75gr Tactical
    AMM-239 at CTD
    Not terrible but I sure would like to tighten it up quite a bit.

BVAC 62gr PSP Bonded
    AMM-277 at CTD
    If I could tighten this one up somehow I would like to use it for hunting.

BVAC 62gr FMJ
    AMM-280 at CTD
    Not impressed, won't be buying any more of this.

BVAC 64gr PSP Bonded
    AMM-279 at CTD
    Would like to hunt with this one as well if I could tighten up the group.

BVAC 64gr PSP Bonded
    AMM-279 at CTD(Same as previous target)

BVAC 69gr SMK
    AMM-271 at CTD
    I was very disappointed with this round of shooting seeing as how well it did last time and this seems to be 180* in the opposite direction of how it previously performed.

AE XM193 55gr FMJ
    Someone on another forum suggested I try some of the 55gr stuff in 5.56 and see how that worked vs the .223 stuff.
    I have to say...I could tell a definite difference in the "bang" this round produced vs the other rounds.
    The very first round was the one on the right side of the bullseye and I though "Well, I'll be!".
    I got 30 rounds in the box and the first 20 were the first shot and then that group directly below it while aiming in the center.
    I was surprised a bit and kind of ok with the results.
    The last 10 were aimed at the top left and I have no idea what happened with that group.

CONT........

Prvi 75gr Match
    Hmmmm....I had read really good things about this round out of the Sig556. More pics of this ammo below.

Federal Fusion 62gr
    Someone on another forum suggested this round so I splurged and got a box of this.
    Not too shabby. Good looking fella.

Prvi 69gr Match
    Shot with a hot barrel vs the cold barrel in the first picture.

Federal 55gr .223 Bulk from Wal-Mart
    Someone had asked what my groupings were like with the 55gr bulk from Wally World....I just happened to find some stuck in the back of my safe so here ya go.

Prvi 75gr Match

Links