S&W M&P 15 Sport - Build with pics and links

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 15 Sport - Build with pics and links within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is my first AR-15 style rifle. When I was looking for modifications I really appreciated it when people identified the mods, so I wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&W M&P 15 Sport - Build with pics and links

This is my first AR-15 style rifle. When I was looking for modifications I really appreciated it when people identified the mods, so I wanted to return the favor.

Bare rifle: $579 on Gunbroker + $20 shipping + $22 transfer.

Slide Fire SSAR-15 SBS stock: $368 (including shipping)
    SSAR-15 SBS (Standard Battle Stock) Collapsible Bump-Fire Stock AR-15 Mil-Spec Diameter Right Hand Polymer Black

UTG Carry Handle: $32
    Amazon.com: UTG Detachable Rifle Carry Handle: Sports & Outdoors

UAG Quad Rail: $40
    Amazon.com: UAG AR15 AR-15 M4 CARBINE RIFLE QUAD 4-WEAVER/PICATINNY RAIL ALUMINUM HANDGUARD+ COVERS: Sports & Outdoors

UTG High Profile Riser (for sight): $10
    Amazon.com: UTG High Profile Riser Mount with 3 slots: Sports & Outdoors

UTG Red/Green Dot Sight: $50
    Amazon.com: UTG DS3840 4-Inch ITA Red/Green Dot Sight with 2 QD Mounts and Flip-open Lens Caps: Sports & Outdoors

UTG Swat/Combat Adjustable Height Bipod: $26
    Amazon.com: UTG Tactical OP Bipod - SWAT/Combat Profile Adjustable Height: Sports & Outdoors

Foregrip: $10
    Amazon.com: Military Law Enforcement Polymer Vertical foregrip Battle Grip 1913 Picatinny or weaver Rail Configuration: Sports & Outdoors

Not pictured:
    Carrying case: $34
    UTG Covert Homeland Security 34-Inch Gun Case: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Surefire 60 round magazine from Gunbroker: $100 (including shipping)

I would switch from carry handle to BUIS, that way you can mount your optic on the upper receiver. A drop in rail is not stable enough to get repeatability with optics. Lights/lasers sure, optics not so much. Why the VFG and bipod? Doesn't look like a bipod is needed when you have a built-in monopod.
    gasmitty likes this.

Yeah, I'd get that mount off of the hand guard. If it was something like a very solid free float, maybe, but otherwise it's not a good idea. Remove the carry handle and use something like the DD, LMT, MaTech, Troy or even the Magpul if it's just a backup. You could easily sell the carry handle and break even.

As for the bipod and the vert grip, it's just extra weight and doesn't always work well, but my guess is you use the vert grip then throw the bipod on when needed, right? For almost all of my supported shooting, I use the magazine as a monopod (there's a huge misconception this will cause failures - with a quality rifle and good mags, it certainly should not) or just support the front of the hand guard and put pressure against the vert grip. I do like bipods on my precision rifles though.

It's nice how you laid out the post, that' always appreciated.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yeah, I'd get that mount off of the hand guard. If it was something like a very solid free float, maybe, but otherwise it's not a good idea. Remove the carry handle and use something like the DD, LMT, MaTech, Troy or even the Magpul if it's just a backup. You could easily sell the carry handle and break even.

As for the bipod and the vert grip, it's just extra weight and doesn't always work well, but my guess is you use the vert grip then throw the bipod on when needed, right? For almost all of my supported shooting, I use the magazine as a monopod (there's a huge misconception this will cause failures - with a quality rifle and good mags, it certainly should not) or just support the front of the hand guard and put pressure against the vert grip. I do like bipods on my precision rifles though.

It's nice how you laid out the post, that' always appreciated.
    Thanks for the suggestions. The quad rail is a very heavy, sturdy handguard, so there's no issues with losing zero. I wanted a carry handle to carry the rifle around. With the way it's configured now, I can slip three fingers in the handle and carry it with no problems.

I have the VFG for three reasons: 1) I prefer a VFG over a Magpul angled grip or with just traditionally holding the handguard, 2) the VFG allows me to push forward on it easily to engage the Slide Fire stock, and 3) it's extremely light.

You're right about the bipod; I only bring it out when I want to dial a shot in. I didn't know you could put pressure on the mag and use it as a monopod... That's an interesting concept.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    I would switch from carry handle to BUIS, that way you can mount your optic on the upper receiver. A drop in rail is not stable enough to get repeatability with optics. Lights/lasers sure, optics not so much. Why the VFG and bipod? Doesn't look like a bipod is needed when you have a built-in monopod.
    Sorry but what do you mean by "drop in rail?" I'm fairly new to owning and modifying AR's. The handguard is a quad rail from UAG (link in the original post). It's very heavy and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago45 View Post
    Sorry but what do you mean by "drop in rail?" I'm fairly new to owning and modifying AR's. The handguard is a quad rail from UAG (link in the original post). It's very heavy and sturdy.
    Drop in means the rail slips in like standard handguards, therefore not free floating. No matter how "heavy and sturdy" they feel, there will be some shift. A good free float rail, which mounts to the barrel nut and does not touch the barrel forward of it, will be a much more stable platform. Not to mention you can get a much more consistent cheekweld with an optic mounted in a conventional position. Can you even cowitness you irons through your sight?

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Drop in means the rail slips in like standard handguards, therefore not free floating. No matter how "heavy and sturdy" they feel, there will be some shift. A good free float rail, which mounts to the barrel nut and does not touch the barrel forward of it, will be a much more stable platform. Not to mention you can get a much more consistent cheekweld with an optic mounted in a conventional position. Can you even cowitness you irons through your sight?
    Could you put a link in of what you're talking about--that is, a product link. Here's what I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ils?tag=vig-20. I thought this was a "free-floating handguard." It's not?

Edit: Regarding the irons, surprisingly I have a clear sight path through the cantilever riser, so I can use them when I need to.

Could you put a link in of what you're talking about--that is, a product link. Here's what I have: Amazon.com: UAG AR15 AR-15 M4 CARBINE RIFLE QUAD 4-WEAVER/PICATINNY RAIL ALUMINUM HANDGUARD+ COVERS: Sports & Outdoors. I thought this was a "free-floating handguard." It's not?

Edit: Regarding the irons, surprisingly I have a clear sight path through the cantilever riser, so I can use them when I need to.
    Those are not free float. The only drop-in free float rails on the market are the Daniel Defense Omega, VLTOR CASV, and Troy's new bravo or delta rails. All other free float rails typically require removal of the barrel nut, or at leas the delta ring.

Friend says KAC M4 RAS is a free floating rail because top half clamps to barrel nut? - M4Carbine.net Forums

I agree the rail may be sturdy, but the problem is that when you rest it with the bipod, or use pressure on it by hand or with a sling, it will, without a doubt, make a small amount of movement since it's not free floated. Free floated means it has no contact at all with the barrel or front sight base, there will be no delta ring or hand guard cap at the front. Now, what will happen, is that small amount of pressure when shooting supported will move the hand guard whether you see it or not. That small amount of movement will also move the sight a small amount. This can change where the bullet impacts by 1/4" up to as much as 3" or 4". So, you need to move the sight to the receiver for consistency or you will eventually have some issues.

As for the carry handle, it's actually not for carrying. Try your best to get out of that habit now while it's still easy to change. These are small things man, just trying to get you started the right way unlike many of us, myself included, that did it wrong for a number of years then had to learn the right way later, once the wrong way was already ingrained in us. That's no fun at all!

You're on the right track. I'm not a fan of the slide fire, but if it's a range rifle and you enjoy it, that's fine and have a good time with it. I use a vert grip on my rifles too, I prefer them to anything else typically. I used the AFG for a while on a few of my rifles but it's not ideal for my needs.

Any questions you have, just ask. There's a few other sites to check out too, like M4carbine.net and AR15.com. There's a lot of good info on the AR there.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Lead Moderator
    By using a Back up iron sight(BUIS) you would be able to place your red dot lower on the rifle. This would make looking through it a bit easier in regard to the cheek weld. Also as said it would place your optic on a much more stable area. Enjoy your new AR.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would scrap the slide fire stock as well. I agree as well that i would get buis as well. Much easier to use the optics without the carrying handle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I wanted a carry handle to carry the rifle around. With the way it's configured now, I can slip three fingers in the handle and carry it with no problems.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Again, the "carrying handle" is not generally used as a carrying handle. I have never used it as one, nor will i. I use a sling. Or just carry with onr hand on the handguard and the other on the handguards or grip.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cool

Hey, have you tried out the SSAR15 yet? I have it on my S&W 15 Sport but can't seem to get it to work right. trying to figure out if it's me or the rifle. I can get like two to three rounds then my trigger gets stuck and doesn't reset. I would have to release the mag and recharge the handle.....weird. Thanks

Slide Fire SSAR-15 SBS stock: $368 (including shipping)
    SSAR-15 SBS (Standard Battle Stock) Collapsible Bump-Fire Stock AR-15 Mil-Spec Diameter Right Hand Polymer Black

uag quad rail ?

I'm new to the ar game to. I got the Uag quad rail as well. Does it slip into the hand guard cap or over it?
    tn.jpg

In 1970 I was winning competitions shooting out to 300 yards using the iron sights on a military issue M-16 after just basic training from the Army with no previous firearm experience. I went on to pick off VC at similar distance. What has changed to make shooting so much more difficult these days that civilians need to spend more for accessories than they do on their guns? Bump fire for a first time AR buyer? Yeah that is a good idea for home defense. Should provide plenty of accurate firing. Then again I suspect some just like to play soldier without the actual risk. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links