S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I voted AR since parts and ammunition are plentiful, plus its lightweight and its cartridge is reasonably versatile. However, there is no one gun that ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

I voted AR since parts and ammunition are plentiful, plus its lightweight and its cartridge is reasonably versatile.

However, there is no one gun that will do everything required in a SHTF scenario. I would definitely agree that a .22 rifle is an excellent gun to have on hand. Subsonic loads are very quiet and have plenty of power for small game at moderate ranges. In less you are forced to move in a SHTF scenario, you're better off staying put; so no reason not to have more than one rifle.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

2. Remove Ads

M1a socom ii

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If John decides to bug out before the hurricane arrives, I'd love to have a videocamera on-hand if some LEO stops him and has him open his trunk
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I voted AK for all the usual reasons, but I'd be happy with an AR as well or my SKS with folding stock and Tapco 20rd mags.
    I am a big believer in the .22 semi as well. You can swap between sub-sonic or even .22 short if you operate the bolt manually. But IMHO any and every SHTF rifle needs a sling! AK in my hand, .22 slung across my back when hunting big game or for defense. Swap them around for small game hunting.
    btw: I've taken rabbits with 7.62x39mm FMJ's and they don't do too much damage to the meat (especially on head shots). Two guys on a fence row with sks's can be riot ;)
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Voted Mini-14 but I feel that there will be a lot more AR parts & guns out there when the SHTF.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Same in an urban scenario. In a civil breakdown, your best chances of surviving are to remain invisible until order has been reestablished.
    There is a big difference in surviving a social breakdown and combat operations. Stealth is the best weapon.
    I laugh at you guys who think you will be walking around with rifles. This isn't hollywood. You will be shot dead, arrested by the military or your weapons will be confiscated. Remember Katrina?
    Your best friend will be your handgun.

I won't be out walking around in metropolitian areas with rifles. Rifles will be present though as a rifle is my very best firearms friend. The handgun takes a distince back seat.
    atctimmy likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    I laugh at you guys who think you will be walking around with rifles. This isn't hollywood. You will be shot dead, arrested by the military or your weapons will be confiscated. Remember Katrina?
    Your best friend will be your handgun.
    Maybe if you live in Cleveland. For those of us not in the city a rifle is a must. A rifle provides both offensive and defensive capability. A hand gun is purely defensive.

Anything past 30 yards and you need a long gun. Remember people aren't just going to stand around and let you shoot them in the chest. BGs will be hiding behind cover. Rifles are much better at punching through the things BGs will use to hide. Also they are far more accurate and, as we both know, only hits count.

A .308 round will shoot through concrete block and still have enough energy to kill you.
    sgb likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    If John decides to bug out before the hurricane arrives, I'd love to have a videocamera on-hand if some LEO stops him and has him open his trunk
    Right after SWAT and US Marshall's raided my brother in law's (and His fiancée's, who is the sister of congressman Blake Farenthold) I ended up with the car, a long story, and the US Marshall's pulled me over hard. All was well within seconds, but since they were also searching for a wanted murderer, they weren't taking chances.

Before anyone asks, I did post a little about it in the "anyone been subject of a search warrant" thread the other day, so look through my recent posts for a link to some pics and Google the story. My brother in law is Mike. I've been right in the middle of this since Monday. Last night was the first time I got more than 3 hours sleep. Watching my BIl for 2 days after being bailed out and before sending him where he is now (can't say, well I shouldn't at least), watching the wide open house, chasing someone out that broke in, dealing with the cops and media I know calling me to ask questions or check on me, watching for the gang members that may be involved and then the wanna be gang member plotting to rob the house that dated my niece all has been both physically and mentally taxing. Given my family connection to this and my career, I'm right in the middle and it sucks.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I laugh at you guys who think you will be walking around with rifles. This isn't hollywood. You will be shot dead, arrested by the military or your weapons will be confiscated. Remember Katrina?Your best friend will be your handgun.
    Is this opinion based on your time in the National Guard, congress or working closely with or as a law enforcement officer?

Since Katrina, there is a new law in effect that weapons may not be confiscated. You may absolutely walk around with a rifle, especially in that situation in the state of Texas, if necessary. But, I don't know many stupid enough to just walk around with them, most would drive or protect their property.

Confiscation has been addressed and corrected.

I keep a rifle with me when on my time and at work in my vehicle or at client's homes or offices, the LEO's all know it and I've been pulled over and informed them about it. This may not be Hollywood, but it's surely not Ohio, plus carrying a rifle as part of my work would likely keep me out of the confiscation nonsense anyway if there wasn't a law preventing it...... That Obama signed if I'm not mistaken (and surprised many of us).
    sgb and Burns like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Confiscation has been addressed and corrected.
    What attorney you going to call when your in a FEMA camp?

What attorney you going to call when your in a FEMA camp?
    God bless you friend

I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about here given what I do for a living. Not being a know-it-all, but I'm not coming here telling you about construction work either...

What you quoted means that there won't be a mass confiscation to begin with. Now, even in the off chance there was, people that carry a firearm as part of their job will not be and were not affected.
    Burns likes this.

Got an AR for myself and a Ruger 10/22 for my son. Both in backpacks with plenty of ammo for buggin out. Shotguns for the wife and daughter. Side arms all around. Hopefully, we're covered. I agree with whoever it was that said, if the S does HTF, it will be a lot like a fun camping/shooting trip as long as I can get out of town

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Maybe if you live in Cleveland. For those of us not in the city a rifle is a must. A rifle provides both offensive and defensive capability. A hand gun is purely defensive.
    I am in trouble if that is how Cleveland is going to handle things. Good thing I moved to Lakewood. Gonna set up booby traps with surplus hemp rope from all the local head shops.

Until I can stock up I will settle on an AK.

AR and AR pistol, Possibly a CZ 22lr. Lay low and try to stay out of sight out of mind.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Links