S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zeppelin03 I am in trouble if that is how Cleveland is going to handle things. Good thing I moved to Lakewood. Gonna ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I am in trouble if that is how Cleveland is going to handle things. Good thing I moved to Lakewood. Gonna set up booby traps with surplus hemp rope from all the local head shops.

Until I can stock up I will settle on an AK.
    Well, you can always bug out to here. You know I have an extra AR for ya.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    If the mystical SHTF thing happens in my life time, I'm staying at home as long as I can, depending on what type of SHTF scenario happens. If I had to walk around with a rifle, I'd probably put my Romy folding stock back onto my AK and put it in some type of back back along with a concealed handgun. I keep my AK with the original wooden stock because I prefer the cheek weld over the Romy stock. However, I've held on the the folding Romy stock.

At home, I'm sticking with my AR as it's my personal preference between the two, but the AK will offer better concealability with a folding stock if I need to leave the house.

I'd fear being away from home walking around with a rifle in my hands. Other people out there have guns too. I could easily be ambushed and killed for my rifle. If it truly turned into a situation where there was anarchy, no police, government, nothing... there will be people out to hurt you, maybe even just for fun. And I don't think walking around open carrying a rifle will do much to help you blend in. Blending in I think will be very beneficial, better yet, just not even being seen. Being attacked while opening carrying a rifle, you're likely being attacked BECAUSE of your rifle. They probably want to kill you and steal it. People will be desperate. Keep it hidden and if you're attacked, you'll have the upper hand as the attacker will not have planned for you having a concealed rifle. Of course these are all just my ideas and thoughts. It's not gospel. So, I'd much rather stay home if at all possible. I have a wide selection of different firearms for different uses that I wouldn't have to carry, food and shelter and no heavy ammo to carry around. But, if I must leave, it'll be an AK with a folding stock in a backpack of some sort, along with a concealed handgun. Only downside is the AK is heavier, as well as the ammo is heavier. But easier to conceal with a folding stock.

This reminds me, I'm low on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well, you can always bug out to here. You know I have an extra AR for ya.
    far better option. cities will probably be a pain when shtf. we are all jerks out here. can only imagine what level we would take it to during a disaster situation.

plus spare ar-15s. whats not to like about that.

Along the lines of what RKM said...

I can't see walking around openly carrying a rifle in any "normal" SHTF situation. To me, at most, a SHTF situation would be something like a hurricane or something similar where we could stay put for a week to a month before order was restored, at least partially, or where we'd need to leave the city due to damage from a storm, if we decided to stay in the first place.

Now, if we did stay and could travel by car or truck, a few coworkers/friends and I already have a plan, which we made when Hurricane Rita was a concern. One guy has a couple thousand acres within 45 minutes of here. That way we'd be able to work together and be close enough to check on our homes. The other option would be we'd all leave town at the same time, together. Now, I'm not talking about accountants here, I'm talking about others in protection work, cops or contractors. Even then, unless we're walking the property, we won't be open carrying a rifle, though just like I do now at work, it will be ready to go and near by in my car.

This really wouldn't be, or look, any different than a couple families taking a vacation. We wouldn't be wearing our plate carriers, wouldn't be wearing any camouflage though I'd wear my typical training clothing like I would any time I go to the ranch or range, which is a few times a week. I'm not sure why people have to immediately jump to conclusions when someone says they'd grab their rifle that they mean they're going to wear "tactical" clothing and go on patrol with their rifles at a patrol or low ready. I carry my rifle quite a bit and never once have I looked that way. I wear my normal clothing which could be a nice button down and jeans or a suit and I just happen to have my rifle in the bag pictured below. It seems that some people that have some job not related to firearms at all automatically assume this means we'll be wearing full battle gear. You'd be surprised the people that looked like normal business men that we're heavily armed and likely had some type of long arm handy working a protection detail and nobody was the wiser.

Now, my go to rifle is a 10.5" AR which fits nicely in a small bag. Before that, it was a class 3 MP5, which collapsed down nice and small. I've carried my 10.5" before in its bag in public and as far as I can tell, people don't have a clue of what it is. Even if they can, I don't care since I'm well within my rights.

sgb likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I want to SBR a Draco with a folding stock. Then I can carry it around in a tennis racket case.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

I bought a 5.56 Draco with the intention of SBR'ing it, but still have not gotten around to it.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have AR's and I have AK's. Do not have a mini-14 yet but it is on the "To Acquire" list. In .5.56 of course. Also on the list and occupying a much higher place on the list is an AK-74 clone in 5.56.

I voted in your poll. I voted for AK. I love my AR's but, they have a lot of parts. They are rather complex compared to the AK design and in a SHTF situation where we may have to displace and move about extensively outside in adverse weather conditions, I'll grab the AK.

That is not to say the AR's won't go with us as well. I have a wife who will be carrying her Mossberg 590 12ga, and 5 kids. The oldest with an AR, the daughter with her AK, my 16 year old son with his AR, and the two 10 year old twins with their Marlin Model 60's which will be replaced with Ruger 10/22's by this time next year.

I think we'll be OK for a while......
    atctimmy likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    How much you want for it? Better yet, my big 40th b day is this week. How's 'bout making it the best B-day ever?!!??!? I'll send you my FFL info.

ETA: Dang, Mike snuck in before me. This is @ Jon.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 8th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Mark Twain:

I was under the impression from some LEO/DEA people I know that if you live on lots of land, you probably don't need to be going out much, so you want to protect your homestead. Shotgun maybe, 22LR makes lots of sense as well. I don't think you will be trying to shoot 250 yds.

If you are going out into town/city etc, or live in dense suburbs or city, then what you really need is a handgun, not a rifle. You will be up close.

Am I going down the right path with this advice?

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I want to SBR a Draco with a folding stock. Then I can carry it around in a tennis racket case.
    An SBR'd Draco would be ideal. I've been meaning to do this but but have been procrastinating due to all the paper work involved. I've fallen victim to the ATF's goal, I guess.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    An SBR'd Draco would be ideal. I've been meaning to do this but but have been procrastinating due to all the paper work involved. I've fallen victim to the ATF's goal, I guess.
    Me too. $200 is just $200 too much for me this year.
    Mark Twain:

I can't do SBR in Michigan, but would love to here more about the paint job on that Draco, John.
    I have an AKM that would look great painted that way.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Since most of my ammo supply is 308 I'm going for the Ruger Scout rifle. I have an AR (Stag) but it's heavier the my Ruger Scout because the 24 Inch Stainless heavy barrel for varmit shooting out to 600 yards. The Ruger Scout rifle wasn't in the poll so I voted for the AR.
    carracer likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I can't do SBR in Michigan, but would love to here more about the paint job on that Draco, John. I have an AKM that would look great painted that way.
    Aervoe Sand as the base, Field Drab, Marine Corps Green, Dark Green and Olive Drab (post WWII) for large areas then Krylon Brown and Tan for the accents. The shapes were printed from Multicam and cut from Manilla folders.

The base, aside from the accents, was all done following the read "Painting a carbine from the Book of Pat" on Lightfighter Forum, by Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical. Took me all of 30 minutes with maybe 10 minutes for degreasing.

Edit - before I hit it with the accents, I dusted over the entire rifle with OD Green to subdue everything.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links