S.H.T.F. Rifle - Page 2

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gonna have to rock the AR. I have a Mini 30 in stainless also, but have found the Ruger hi-cap mags are very expensive and ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Gonna have to rock the AR. I have a Mini 30 in stainless also, but have found the Ruger hi-cap mags are very expensive and in the aftermarket area they just are not reliable.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

If you are going to be hiking somewhere (where?) in a SHTF scenario, then the weight of your rifle is the least of your worries.

Most of your weight will come from water, food, clothing, etc.

And if you think you are going to survive for long on your own, well, good luck with that. You need to sleep sometime.

Best bet is to form a group. Then you can spread out the load. Makes concerns about ammo weight less of an issue.

Really, ANY firearm in such a situation will serve you well. A .22 is a good idea, but lacks range and punch. If you are in a group, you can have a mix of arms to do different things.

I am always amused at the folks who think they need to stockpile a million rounds of ammo to survive. Really, you just need enough to stop the BG and then take his weapon and his ammo. So, a useful skill is knowing how to use and maintain various types of firearms. If you only know how to run an AK, you might want to learn how to run and maintain an AR, SKS, lever gun, and bolt gun.

Just some random thoughts.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When it comes to these types of threads we could go on for months about what's more important, like learning how to set traps for animals, growing food, collecting and purifying water, antibiotics, etc. When the question about firearms comes up, I personally just stick to that topic and leave the rest for other subforums since there's so much else to discuss. For most, they'll get by fine without a firearm at all. I'd probably get by just fine with my old lever action 22.

As for lightweight, I'm perfectly happy with any of my ARs, fully equipped. But, the OP asked about light weight… Maybe he has a bad back, maybe it's for his 12 year old daughter, maybe he can only bench press 18 pounds, I don't know.

For me, a SHTF scenario will be something like Katrina, or I'm on a hunting trip and get lost in the woods. Long term for me is a couple weeks, I don't worry too much about economic collapse, terrorist attacks or Mayan prophecies. I don't worry about all kinds of craziness, though I do understand others' concerns about it. I am more worried about how other people will act should we be faced with a Katrina type situation and that's what I'd be worried most about dealing with. Look at all the rapes and murders in Louisiana during that time. Where I live, it's a very real possibility, but it's not a very real possibility that I'll try to ride out the storm, we're long gone with any hurricane threat.

So, that's kind of my "bugging out". In that case, I always take a good bit of food, my most important possessions, those with sentimental value, and as many of my weapons as I can fit as I don't want them left for the looters, even if they're in the safes. Along with that, I always take a good bit of ammo. In that case, weight is not a concern for me and likely will not be.

That's my SHTF. But, you better believe I'm at least somewhat prepared and capable of surviving if it's gets worse than that. I have a hasty plan in place where a handful of us will get to my buddy's 2,200 acre ranch which is pretty secure and has three homes on the property. Plenty of cows, water, a garden, rabbits, stored food, etc.

So, no matter what my SHTF is, one of my ARs will do just fine. Around 8 pounds or so with a Surefire Scout, Aimpoint T1, 3x twist off magnifier in my bag, VCAS sling, 12" rail, 14.5" BCM barrel, SOPMOD stock and Tango Down vert grip. Oh, and those LaRue index clips, I love these things.

When it comes to scavenging for spare parts, I just don't see that as a serious issue. I have a couple extra LPKs and pretty much multiples of every part, but I'd stick all the springs and small parts in my bag and an extra bolt in my vert grip with small tubes of lube, extra screws and allen wrenches in my grip like I have now. It's always a good idea to have spares of everything. A quality AR with a set of spare parts and springs should outlast us in that type of situation. Same goes for the AK. I don't know about the Mini-14, I've never heard great things about their reliability or durability.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have really been rethinking some things lately on this very subject. It's not on my list of immediate concerns, but is something I think is a valid consideration in the grand scheme of things.

Having said that, a recent back yard impromptu plinking session with my 22 rifle really got me to thinking. I was re- amazed at how quickly and accurately I could empty an entire mag load of mini mags onto a paper plate at 50 and 100 yards. I have really not fired a rimfire rifle very much in years, neglecting it and relegating it to only small game hunting or plinking sessions. But with the ease of shooting and inherent accuracy of the little buggers, they have alot going for them.

Now, Immanuel AR man myself. But after putting some time and thought into it, I'm not so sure anymore if I would choose my AR for a long term strategy. There is so much the rimfire does so much better, such as low noise, small game, and economical and ease of carry of as many as 500 rounds on ones person, it's defenitly worthy of consideration. Combined with a decent sidearm of 9mm on ones person, there is really nothing it won't do.

Range was mentioned as a down side to the rimfire. Now, while it's true that at any range the 223 has substancially more punch than the rimfire, I cannot imagine any person that would take a blitz or swarm of the rimfire to the head, neck, chest, or practically anywhere on the body, that would remain optimistic in their desire to either continue a pursuit of me or desire to harm me.

For $100, one could stockpile literally 5000 rounds. If you and another family member both carried one, the firepower against a small band of marauders would be overwhelming, especially if you had a suprise advantage.

As far as ability to inflict damage, I have shot and killed turkeys, and foxes at 100 yards with complete penetration on the body, more than adequate penetration for chest shots on bipeds.

Zombie apocalypse? Head shots are all that count, and the 22 is all that's really needed.

I have thought about this for a couple of weeks now, and have decided to include a 22 rifle in each of my vehicles, with a brick of ammo, to compliment my " on the road" vehicle emergency kit, with water, blankets, food ect..

I'm sure if I had the ability to carry everything I wanted, I would also like to have an AR, M14, and an MK 19 grenade launcher. But to be truly mobile, you gotta make some compromises. And the ability to shoot small edible game, carry ammo in quanity and have a measure of SD, are very important. Heck, even large game can be taken with the 22.

It's really hard to over look in the bigger picture.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Going off of the SHTF, anything's possible idea… I'd stick with my AR because we don't know what we might go up against. Intermediate barriers, wild animals, etc. The more I think about it now though, the more I like the idea of having a 22 rifle (suppressed, most likely) along too. Interesting points though and it's all definitely worth thinking about.

I really don't like thinking about these things. Next thing I know, I'll end up on that show "Preppers". Which is worth a whole thread of its own! There's some good stuff on there and some very strange stuff as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Good points. All I'll add is that I agree with the previous mention of using a rifle with an en-bloc magazine, whether that is a tubular mag or a fixed box mag. All you need is the rifle and ammo - no need for extra mags. One less thing to worry about if you are on foot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    My S.H.T.F. rifle is an original first import IMI Magnum Research Galil which I would class as an AK upgrade variant fit w/ AimPoint.
    Highly accurate and dependable.
    It's 5.56 & a tack-driver & so that's "Cool Beans" - DOWNSIDE - it's heavy and the factory heavy gage steel mags are weighty also.
    Recently I've started picking up some high quality polymer mags to cut down on magazine weight.
    I shoot it well and the weight is really not problematic for me personally but, the same rifle would be a cost prohibitive choice for most folks these days.
    If I had to buy a S.H.T.F. rifle TODAY - I would probably "join the crowd" & choose one of the many exceptional ARs that are available.

Since we also seem to be talking about the advantages of having a nice .22LR - Mine is the old Remington Nylon 66 which is a great, extremely lightweight rifle that functions incredibly well dirty and requires very little maintenance. They are sort of classed as "vintage" now though but, back when I got mine it was a "cheapie" rifle due to the synthetic Nylon stock.
    So Yes, a good .22 would sure be handy + about a gazillion rounds of rimfire ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Glockman you make a great argument. I just may take my Savage Mark II bolt gun out for some plinking later...which will most likely lead to me buying a 10-22 in the near future because a .22 bolt gun is only fun for so long.

Oh, I really don't mean to argue the point, lol. Just thinkin out loud. All points here are solid.

Guess it may depend on what you are wanting to do. Combat with some survival, or an emphasis on survival with some SD applications.
    QKShooter and JaySkiBum like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Too bad the S.will never H.T.F. It would be fun.
    JoeK and marcclarke like this.

If I needed a high power rifle to take with me if things went downhill I'd bring my Remington 700 30.06. Main reason is I have a ton of ammo for it and it's very accurate at long distances. Nothing to break down on a bolt action gun also. Another reason is the 30.06 can take out hard targets such as vehicles and fortified homes if needed.

There are certain instances where I'd like to bring my 10/22 along. I can take small game with it and can throw a lot of lead down range if needed also with a 30 round mag. There were some missions where the army has used a military grade 10/22 for taking out targets quietly and must not be a bad thing to bring along for the ride.

AR all the way.

my ar 1.jpg

my ar 2.jpg

Ak

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Best bet is to form a group. Then you can spread out the load. Makes concerns about ammo weight less of an issue.

Really, ANY firearm in such a situation will serve you well. A .22 is a good idea, but lacks range and punch. If you are in a group, you can have a mix of arms to do different things.
    I think I know what you are saying. But ideally the handguns would be one caliber and the bolt action rifles would be of the same caliber and the "assualt"rifles would be of the same caliber and design. While defending a camp I would hate to run out or 5.56 and the guy next to me has an AK. Not saying you plan accordingly but why?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Oh, I really don't mean to argue the point, lol. Just thinkin out loud. All points here are solid.

Guess it may depend on what you are wanting to do. Combat with some survival, or an emphasis on survival with some SD applications.
    To be honest your .22 analogy to me is spot on. If SHTF, you can carry a lot of ammo. You could make an assault with numbers. Accuracy with the .22 is great, so shot placement would win the day. Now, im not saying that an AR or AK is out of the question, but if you have to bug out, the .22 rifle with 10,000 rounds is doable, the AR and AK might not be.
    CommonMan101 and First Sgt like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links