S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I've just been sold on the .22 idea. I have my son's Scoped Marlin 60 which is a great gun, but now I'm ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

I think I've just been sold on the .22 idea. I have my son's Scoped Marlin 60 which is a great gun, but now I'm thinking I might be on the lookout for a 10/22 at my next gun show.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    AR

you can shoot greater distances than the others and it is still pretty light. (The 22 makes a great trainer and practice rifle no way I would bug out with that over an AR.)

There seem to be a mindset concerning the need for distance here. It's not new, as I have seen it mentioned over and over on other threads that relate here.

But to get real, you know, take an honest look at this thing, isn't distance a variable dependent on geography and terrain? Let's face it, in the thick hardwoods of most areas, you can't see 50 yards, let alone hope to identify a target that far. And an inner city scenario, would you really be shooting further than a couple of blocks?

Tactically speaking, it does not make much sense to shoot at people hundreds of yards away, when you can just stay hunkered down and let them pass. Why give away your position?

Same in an urban scenario. In a civil breakdown, your best chances of surviving are to remain invisible until order has been reestablished.
    There is a big difference in surviving a social breakdown and combat operations. Stealth is the best weapon.

But in my opinion, choosing a rifle just because it is better at a distance is not a good idea. And the reason is, that the other guys might have a couple that can do the same thing, so advantage is lost there if there ever really was one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

After reading all the responses about .22LR... I think if SHTF, I'll be the guy walking around w/20 bricks of .22LR ammo to barter for food or supplies! :-)

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to vote for my .45acp pistols and at least my M4 carbine in 5.56...yeah...22's are good varmint shooting but I think for max effect...the M4/AR is going to be the best bang for the buck.....

for serious hunting I own a thompson encore .308 breach loader single shot pistol with sights.....if I were to have to rely on the land...for hunting that would be the big game weapon....but for defence..I think the M4/ar variant would be great....

but that's just me..

Steve

This brings up another good question... In a crisis scenario, do we have some secret handshake or sign to identify each other?! I don't want to get shot by any of you ********, even if it is with a .22LR!!

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ErnieNWillis and cherokee7 like this.

Again, I like the 22 idea, but certainly not as my primary weapon… In the slim chance I do end up in a bad situation, it may do the job, but likely not fast as I'd like. I've seen what a 32 will do at point blank to a tweaker's face. There was a whole lot of fight left.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Is this a question of: "You can only have one" - no matter what kind of SHTF it is? Then I can stop right here and say my Saiga .308 is the last rifle I'd let go. It would do everything I need within my sight - and 25 rounds a mag at a time. - Having friends with guns, land and preps is higher on my list, though.

If it's a matter of what you think is best in a particular situation then I can't pick one until I know what kind of SHTF it is.

I have different favorites depending on the scenario.

If it's a quasi one that society is somewhat functional and I'm still coming home every day? Then I need as much hideable firepower as I can do. My Glock 20 and my Kel-Tec SU-16c fit that bill for me pretty well. Both very vehicle friendly.

Am I defending a farm? I'll take the Saiga 308 - the Savage 10fp would make a good but futile argument with me over it. 25 round semi-auto wins but I'd still think about that 500 yard headshot I can't make without it.

On the run? Gotta travel light? Damn we're screwed. Now the G20 + ammo stash is too heavy. I think I'll have to go with .22lr and maybe even just the Kel-tec PLR - not a rifle. I can do a lot with a .22.

I catch animals for a living. A few snare wires don't add much weight on a hike. Less ammo needed to eat - more for defense.

I need a better scenario for me to have an opinion. I can't see why I would be hiking 10 hours a day. Not saying it can't happen. But I am self sufficient if i need to be on my land. If there was a bio or other WMD hazard where I had to leave then moving 10 hours a day on foot in the White Mountains ain't getting me out of danger. I mean, wheere am I going? And is that one gun per person or family? But the best i can come up with is AR in 308. I am not concerned about how much ammo i can carry. I mean if I am in a gunfight for the last of my supplies with 5 BG's I don't think the amount of ammo no matter what caliber is going to matter. I am not spraying the woods giving away my position and wasting ammo in a forest. I would conserve and use only when I have a good shot. And if I prevail I have there ammo and guns. The only reason I would go with .223 is because it wold be more common with BG's attacking me with assualt rifles and I can use there supplies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I guess I'm the odd duck here, my vote goes to SKS. No magazines to mess with, just grab rifle and ammo. Magazines make for a little quicker reloading as long as you have plenty of mag's, but at some point you'll run out of pre-loaded mags. At that point the SKS being fed by stripper clips becomes superior.
    Also tactical reloads can be preformed with zero loss of live ammo.
    Just my $.02
    Not to drift off topic too far here, but... I'm confused.

If you can run out of mags, can you not also run out of stripper clips? Do stripper clips have some capacity to reproduce on their own that I'm not aware of? Because it never seems to have worked for all the 5.56 that I've had in stripper clips...

And why would you lose ammunition reloading with a magazine? Take partial out, put full in. All ammo accounted for.

I mean, let's be honest - a stripper clip is nothing more than a means to hold the ammo together in one place. A magazine does that as well, and also protects the ammo, while being easier to manipulate. As I said...I'm confused.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I need a better scenario for me to have an opinion. I can't see why I would be hiking 10 hours a day. Not saying it can't happen. But I am self sufficient if i need to be on my land. If there was a bio or other WMD hazard where I had to leave then moving 10 hours a day on foot in the White Mountains ain't getting me out of danger. I mean, wheere am I going? And is that one gun per person or family? But the best i can come up with is AR in 308. I am not concerned about how much ammo i can carry. I mean if I am in a gunfight for the last of my supplies with 5 BG's I don't think the amount of ammo no matter what caliber is going to matter. I am not spraying the woods giving away my position and wasting ammo in a forest. I would conserve and use only when I have a good shot. And if I prevail I have there ammo and guns. The only reason I would go with .223 is because it wold be more common with BG's attacking me with assualt rifles and I can use there supplies.
    Havnt seen or heard of many BGs using ARs, AKs yes but not ARs. Unless you were referring to James Bond BGs then I get it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There seem to be a mindset concerning the need for distance here. It's not new, as I have seen it mentioned over and over on other threads that relate here.

But to get real, you know, take an honest look at this thing, isn't distance a variable dependent on geography and terrain? Let's face it, in the thick hardwoods of most areas, you can't see 50 yards, let alone hope to identify a target that far. And an inner city scenario, would you really be shooting further than a couple of blocks?

Tactically speaking, it does not make much sense to shoot at people hundreds of yards away, when you can just stay hunkered down and let them pass. Why give away your position?

Same in an urban scenario. In a civil breakdown, your best chances of surviving are to remain invisible until order has been reestablished.
    There is a big difference in surviving a social breakdown and combat operations. Stealth is the best weapon.

But in my opinion, choosing a rifle just because it is better at a distance is not a good idea. And the reason is, that the other guys might have a couple that can do the same thing, so advantage is lost there if there ever really was one.

Yep, hold over will work with a little kentucky windage adjustment. I think the .22 will work just fine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Havnt seen or heard of many BGs using ARs, AKs yes but not ARs. Unless you were referring to James Bond BGs then I get it.
    Other US citizens folks trying to survive in this apocalyptic scenario by taking my stuff while I am hiking 10 hours a day. Lots of folks I know have AR's. According to the poll 64 percent have chosen AR's. I still don;t have the imagination needed to figure out why I am hiking to begin with. If it was for food, I go with my 10/22.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

I'll go with my AR and throw in the 22lr conversion. Best of both. Defense and small game. Only takes a few seconds to change out.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Ex Member
    I have owned a Mini 14, series 181, for 25 years, a SKS for 20, and carried a AR in Vietnam. My BUG rifle is an AK. I KNOW they will work. The others? PROBABLY.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links