S.H.T.F. Rifle - Page 4

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by suntzu Other US citizens folks trying to survive in this apocalyptic scenario by taking my stuff while I am hiking 10 hours ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Other US citizens folks trying to survive in this apocalyptic scenario by taking my stuff while I am hiking 10 hours a day. Lots of folks I know have AR's. According to the poll 64 percent have chosen AR's. I still don;t have the imagination needed to figure out why I am hiking to begin with. If it was for food, I go with my 10/22.
    I new you would come to the Dark side, not because we have cookies, but because we make sense. If you have to bug out, then the .22 IMO is the best. To Bug in, I would use my AK. I didnt think of other U.S. citizens as BGs, I understand where you were coming from.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I have shot a few squirrels with fmj 223, with an all weather m77 Ruger sported. It didn't do much damage, and was still edible, so you could make a 223 work for small game. But then, there's that loud report.

It all just really depends on what you want to do, enviroment, and situation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

For me, my SHTF rifles are the Colt AR-15 govt. carbine and for back-up, the venerable Ruger 10-22. I think the 10-22 is going to be a hard one to beat in an all around disaster SHTF scenario.

If I need heavy fire power, I have a FN FAL, but the rifle and ammo are a heavy load to carry around. But I would likely go with my FN Mauser 98 bolt action in .30-06 as it's lighter than the FAL and the .30-06 beats out the .308 by a small margin. I do however have much more .308 ammo on hand.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    After reading all the responses about .22LR... I think if SHTF, I'll be the guy walking around w/20 bricks of .22LR ammo to barter for food or supplies! :-)
    +1

This is what my buddies and I came up with back in the 1980's, when we were in the Navy reading Jerry Ahern's "The Survivalist" novels (not much to do while cruising the North Arabian Sea keeping an eye on the Iranians). Not much has changed in 25 years!

As for the rifle, it'd be my SP6920...

~Dan

"[I still don;t have the imagination needed to figure out why I am hiking to begin with]"

Yes, Unless nuked, I'm staying put with family & Freinds. Nice lakes plenty of small game & deer.

A plus on keeping looters off land with a few long guns set ups for 200 yards +, Plenty of water as the arteitian well does'nt need power.
    Well I took this thread so far of track, sorry & lets hope it never happen ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Since we also seem to be talking about the advantages of having a nice .22LR - Mine is the old Remington Nylon 66 which is a great, extremely lightweight rifle that functions incredibly well dirty and requires very little maintenance. They are sort of classed as "vintage" now though but, back when I got mine it was a "cheapie" rifle due to the synthetic Nylon stock.
    So Yes, a good .22 would sure be handy + about a gazillion rounds of rimfire ammo.
    +1 to the nylon 66. In my opinion, it one of the best rifles on the planet. When I was in my teens I had 3 of these. 2 black ones and a brown one and I must say, I have killed everything from rabbits to 450lb hogs with it. It will shoot in any conditions and a round in the chamber and 14 loaded through the stock means perfect capacity with no magazines to fumble with.... and with practice you can load 14 into the stock just as fast as you can load a magazine. At least 1 always went wherever I did. I now own 10/22s but wish I had those 66's back! Can't say enough good about them!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Administrator
    Everybody has to "hike" at least a little bit during any SHTF scenario.
    Hiking right down the middle of a once busy highway (abandoned vehicles strewn all over the place complete with half-rotted corpses still seated in drivers seats) & you must hike while wearing tattered clothing & sporting a zombie like "eyes glassed over" blank stare on your dirty radiation burned face.
    Get with the program!

Depending on ones location, I think the " hiking " part is for the most common sense dependent upon scope and type of disaster.

A very realistic scenario would be a Pandemic outbreak in an urban area, or disaster such as earth quake which would render all roads useless or so clogged that vehicle travel is impossible.

This means getting you and your family to safety and that means walking out. And that means taking only what you need on your back.

Even if you own land, and are armed to the teeth with high caliber rifles, if enough hungry or desperate people want you out, you will either flee, or die trying to keep it.

Different scenarios all bring their own problems.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

With the ammunition inventory and the spare parts on hand, I can keep an M1 going best so will choose that. While we're only suppose to have a single choice in this thread I buy into the .22 rifle concept so realistically would have one along as well. If holing up someplace is called for we have our own property for that with game including deer.

I suspect that armadillo would become a tedious staple as they may be caught easiest and would probably be available after the deer herd was decimated.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Having said that, a recent back yard impromptu plinking session with my 22 rifle really got me to thinking. I was re- amazed at how quickly and accurately I could empty an entire mag load of mini mags onto a paper plate at 50 and 100 yards. I have really not fired a rimfire rifle very much in years, neglecting it and relegating it to only small game hunting or plinking sessions. But with the ease of shooting and inherent accuracy of the little buggers, they have alot going for them.

As far as ability to inflict damage, I have shot and killed turkeys, and foxes at 100 yards with complete penetration on the body, more than adequate penetration for chest shots on bipeds.

Zombie apocalypse? Head shots are all that count, and the 22 is all that's really needed.
    If you were going to use .22 mini-mags for a SHTF (SD) scenario, would you use HP or round nose?

Another 10/22 here. Anyone surprised (given my tag)? I am liking CCI Velocitors but don't discriminate. I may get another VERY soon, on sale locally, including the threaded barrel model. I assume I am taking a sidearm as well. As someone else has pointed out and I repeat often to friends, I have yet to find anyone willing to be shot by a .22.

Here in Corpus when the wind blows more than 35mph, I grab the wife, kids and AR and we start a hikin'... In reality, the only reason we'd be making movement is to get to the ranch, which is about 50 miles away. SHTF for me is a hurricane. Anything apocalyptic, I only need one bullet.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yup...with a wife and two small kids, I'd have an almost impossible task to try and hike anywhere. Unless absolutely forced to move, we're defending in place, hopefully with some help from the neighbors.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Haven't bought anything in a while. I have a mini 14 but am designing a B.O.B. and what-not and find the mini 14 to be heavy when thinking of hiking 10 hours or so a day (in a SHTF). So I am thinking of a new rifle. What do you think would be best for travel on foot in the elements. Considering function, accuracy, maintenance, weight, etc.
    AR has very easy to find ammoand parts especially if you go mil spec. For true SHTF I want an AR and a lightweight 22 LR rifle.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

RKM
    I chose AR, but once I finish suppressing my 10/22, I might choose that. Depends, am I hunting small game? Or trying to fight off villains? If I'm trying to quietly hunt and keep a low profile, I'd choose my 10/22 which is yet to be suppressed. For fighting, my AR. But seeing as though this is all about "hiking", I'd have a hard time not taking my AR because you never know what you'll be up against. You may only need to hunt, and with FMJ ammo, it will do very little damage to a squirrel. With OTM ammo, it will do serious damage to a humanoid target. So it can be used for both. So I'll stick with my AR if I leave. If I'm staying in, I'd keep the AR or AK strictly for defensive use or bigger game purposes. I'd hunt mainly with the 10/22 to keep a low profile and not attract possible thieves by the sound of gun shots. Some bad people may come with firepower to kill you and steal your firepower. It's all fun and games to think about it and plan! But once the infamous S really does HTF... the fun ends.

I don't have a lot of guns (depends on who you talk to), and I'm not an expert in any of them, but I feel I know enough and have a well rounded enough selection to get me through most realistic situations. I don't have any exotic calibers so finding ammo isn't too difficult.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links