S.H.T.F. Rifle - Page 5

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whatever happens, be it local, regional or national, the majority of folks to be effected will most likely be in cities, towns, etc. So, the ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Whatever happens, be it local, regional or national, the majority of folks to be effected will most likely be in cities, towns, etc. So, the physical size of a long gun can be important. Do you want something easy to manuver and maybe conceal, I do. Sure, there will be folks heading out into the boonies, seeking safety, but I believe most will not. I decided to go all 9mm, carbine and pistol to simplify things, but I'm beginning to see the case for a .22. You can carry a lot of .22 vs anything larger. If you think about it, if you have stockpiled 5K rounds of .223 or whatever, you are not going anywhere.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    I have an AR and an AK, I want to say AR in most cases because it's easier to carry more ammo and ammo availability is better. Although, if poo-poo really, and I mean really, hits the fan I'd want an AK just for outright reliability. Accounting for worst case scenario, I voted AK.
    This is the thinking behind the fact that I plan onn ordering an AK-47 this week. More reliable in real world conditions, ammo should be available from somewhere no matter what happens here in the US, and I am a heavier is better, penetration is everything kind of guy.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Not to drift off topic too far here, but... I'm confused.

If you can run out of mags, can you not also run out of stripper clips? Do stripper clips have some capacity to reproduce on their own that I'm not aware of? Because it never seems to have worked for all the 5.56 that I've had in stripper clips...

And why would you lose ammunition reloading with a magazine? Take partial out, put full in. All ammo accounted for.

I mean, let's be honest - a stripper clip is nothing more than a means to hold the ammo together in one place. A magazine does that as well, and also protects the ammo, while being easier to manipulate. As I said...I'm confused.
    You bring up a good point, but no confusion. I buy my 7.62x39 by the case and it comes on stripper clips, so I don't run out of them. I still stand by my earlier statement, when your pre-loaded box mags run dry, I can load a rifle by means of stripper clips a whole lot faster than you can load box mags and then load a rifle. Unless I'm missing something...

But in all honesty the .22 crowd is making a mighty strong case here.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I have....oh, say about 60 AR mags, and 15 more on the way. I cannot possibly carry enough magazines to run out of them in a single engagement. My cases of 5.56 are also on stripper clips, and I can load those into mags pretty darn quickly. I'm sorry, I just can't envision even the most unlikely scenario making stripper clips an advantage over magazines...

And yes, an integrally suppressed 10/22 would be hard to beat if you could only have ONE firearm for SHTF scenarios...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sonofa... my wife is going to be quite upset with you guys... making me go buy a .22 rifle now... what, you think I'm going to take the blame?! Pleeeaaaasssseee!

So... the question is... 10/22 or is there something comparable? And what are we talking for suppression? What kind of loadout is recommended for a SHTF 10/22 suppressed w/2,000 rounds of ammo in 30rnd mags??

OpJ

How many Zombies are we fighting off here on our 10 mile treks?

In all seriousness... I think the rifle / loadout will depend on two major factors:

1. Your SHTF plan
    2. The specifics of the scenario

My plan (with a wife and 3 kiddos under the age of 5) is to stay put, in most cases. Now, if the local area is threatened (hurricane, massive outbreaks of tornadoes, bad earthquake, etc) and my home is no longer a suitable safe house, we have a backup plan that does involve driving to one of two other locations, based on the situation. Like we all talk about in SD situations, the #1 tool you have is not whats in your hand at the time, its in your head. If we do need to bug out, I can think of 4 weapons/tools I will absolutely have on me... my AR15, my M&P, my Gerber knife, and possibly now a .22 rifle (my wife thanks you all in advance for that purchase :D)

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    Whatever happens, be it local, regional or national, the majority of folks to be effected will most likely be in cities, towns, etc. So, the physical size of a long gun can be important. Do you want something easy to manuver and maybe conceal, I do.
    Thanks to Sticks for the Sneaky Bag! When the poop hits the fan, they'll think I'm carrying a Banjo! My plate carrier may give it away though… ;)

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How many Zombies are we fighting off here on our 10 mile treks?
    I don't know, but I'll have to fight 5 times as many on my 50 mile trek, so I'm already up the creek. I know that I've come across a group of guys a couple times out there that were certainly up to no good. We do get a lot of illegals and smugglers now and then passing through out where my buddy's ranch is located.

I do know that any 10 mile trek around here, you're sure to encounter at least 5 tweakers. I'd prefer zombies any day. Hmm, I think that may one of the only times I've ever used the word zombie in a post.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

About the Kriss .45/ 1911 combo//Weight...great gun, but carry 500 rounds of .45, then 500 rounds of .223 and see which you like most. That, plus range makes me vote for the AR.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I'll go with my AR and throw in the 22lr conversion. Best of both. Defense and small game. Only takes a few seconds to change out.
    That’s my solution: Colt LE6920 with a Spike’s tactical .22LR conversion unit. The optic is a Trijicon TriPower, due to the fiber-optics and tritium it’s been on the same batteries for over 5 years now.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    About the Kriss .45/ 1911 combo//Weight...great gun, but carry 500 rounds of .45, then 500 rounds of .223 and see which you like most. That, plus range makes me vote for the AR.
    I have an SBR'd KRISS. I'll take my AR instead.

Just to throw something different in, I really like my .357 lever action carbine. A .357 gains a lot of power in a 16" barrel compared to a 6" revolver, and with stout handloads can take most any medium game out to 100 yards or more. 8+1 in a tubular magazine that you can top off any time, and ammo that also fits in the snubbie revolver in my pocket. Shoot .38's for close range small game or cheap practice. Light, easy to carry, no magazines to carry or lose.
    I'm also a fan of a .22 rifle for shtf situations. Light, easy to carry, relatively quiet, and you can carry lots of ammo in your pocket. My old Marlin 60 holds 18 in the tube, and is plenty accurate out to 100 yards. While I don't recomend it, plenty of deer have been taken with .22's.
    itschuck likes this.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

My Remington Nylon 66 would do fine. Small, compact, and light enough to carry all day with no problem. I knew there was a good reason I held on to it all these years. I spent a lot of time in the back woods hunting critters with it growing up.
    Chaplain Scott and First Sgt like this.

GOOD stuff here. The .22 will most def be tagging along (carried by the MRS). I figure the .22 will be the hunting rifle. I do want a fending off BG or a pack of hungry dogs rifle.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links