S.H.T.F. Rifle - Page 6

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Stubborn You bring up a good point, but no confusion. I buy my 7.62x39 by the case and it comes on stripper ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    You bring up a good point, but no confusion. I buy my 7.62x39 by the case and it comes on stripper clips, so I don't run out of them. I still stand by my earlier statement, when your pre-loaded box mags run dry, I can load a rifle by means of stripper clips a whole lot faster than you can load box mags and then load a rifle. Unless I'm missing something...

But in all honesty the .22 crowd is making a mighty strong case here.
    I totally get what your saying about stripper clips being faster than loading a mag then loading that into a rifle, provided you have enough stripper clips. Iin one of the AK threads I noticed at least one person showed their AK with ammo next to it in stripper clips. I am going to be purchasing an AK this week, (waiting on income tax refund) and I have already ordered the ammo. It came in last night. When I opened the boxes I realized that it's packed loose in 20 round boxes, no nice little plastic rack to keep them all nice and neat and facing the same way. The AK package I am getting will have three mags.

Here's my question, would it make any sense to store/carry ammo for an AK in stripper clips. Is there an easy way to get the ammo off the stripper clips and into a mag?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Here's my question, would it make any sense to store/carry ammo for an AK in stripper clips. Is there an easy way to get the ammo off the stripper clips and into a mag?
    No need for the stripper clips in your case. Purchase a Lula mag loader. About 29 bucks, snaps on the magazine. You can load or unload the mags in a fast order.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    No need for the stripper clips in your case. Purchase a Lula mag loader. About 29 bucks, snaps on the magazine. You can load or unload the mags in a fast order.
    I already have a Lulu mag loader for the AK-47 on order, (Cheaper Than Dirt has them for less than $25). My point was that if your on the move and out of loaded mag and need to load one, it's hard to use the Lula with ammo in a box and no place to dump it out to grab individual rounds.

Doing a little research I found this:

Speed loading ammo From SKS stripper clips to AK mag - YouTube

It seems like a more organized way to store ammo in stripper clips than in a box or pouch, all facing different directions. I amgoing to look into getting a stripper clip to AK mag adapter like is shown in the video.

VIP Member
    The answer, Ted, is to have enough magazines. If you don't have enough mags to get your through any (relatively) conceivable situation, you don't have enough mags. Three, IMO, is not even close to enough. Seven is a good start, if you believe the "basic load" from the Army (though in my field we carried 10, minimum). Seriously, don't worry about stripper clips. You have a magazine fed weapon. Get more magazines, and call it a day.
    atctimmy, jwhite75 and airslot like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Neat video, I think you would have to practice it some. I do think you need more magazines. I have boxes on them for the ak.

I'm in for the .22 as well. Marlin 60 (I prefer tube fed). Of course a lever action .22 like my Henry would be great also. The Marlin 60 would be my first choice though.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Scoped Remington 700 .308 with 200 rnds. I will acquire any other weapons, food, and water needed using this set up.

YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Just depends on the scenario to me. Depending whats going on I would choose the 10/22, AR or both. It would more then likely be my family with me so ammo would be spread out.
    I know my daughter can shoot as good as I can with my 10/22 and does pretty good with my handguns. I would think a sidearm for each of us with about 50 rounds per, 10/22's for my wife and daughter, AR for me.If I thought the possibility to run into hostiles I 'd change the daughters out to a AR and keep the 10/22 for the wife. But that's just me thinking out loud.

My plan is to buy a 300 blkout and keep a 223 556 upper in the bag for more ammo options

Im surprised that only one person answered a lever action 357. Everyone I know has a 357 handgun, or a 38. 200 yards is all you will probably need for distance plus it will shoot the same stuff as your handgun.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Im surprised that only one person answered a lever action 357. Everyone I know has a 357 handgun, or a 38. 200 yards is all you will probably need for distance plus it will shoot the same stuff as your handgun.
    IF I had one, maybe. I have .22's, I can't seem to find a reasonably priced Marlin or Winnie lever gun in .357. I'd still take a .22 of some kind. I can't imagine 'just one' of anything: two is one, one is none when something goes wrong.

I tend to overpack for camping...

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    It's easier for me to give you guys this link than it is to repost the content of my blog.

Military Arms Channel Blog: SHTF: Why I Choose the AK

As you can probably conclude from reading the URL, I choose the AK. In my blog post I explain why I have chosen the AK over the AR or other rifles.

A good .22 is always handy and I'll always have one close by, but I wouldn't want it as my primary rifle. Fights generally take place in less than ideal conditions. Shooting through cover, body armor and at range might be required. I've yet to find a single .22 firearm that was as reliable as a good center fire rifle, unless you're using a .22 revolver. I prefer a center fire rifle for self defense.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

AK. It's what everyone should want in a SHTF rifle IMO. Don't be silly.

I voted AR for the many many variations and ease of use.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

sgb
    SpencerB and Cleandean like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links