S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No question about this one....when the SHTF, this ones in my hands. AK!...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    No question about this one....when the SHTF, this ones in my hands. AK!

DefConGun likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Done. Just brought home my 10/22. Can't wait to test it out this weekend.
    Cory1022 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

My AR-15 is my first choice with the AK in reserve should the AR go down.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I voted AR and I own both the AR and AK both are good rifles but I've carried the 16 in some reel S!@# holes in the world and it never let me down and I'm fine tuned with it, a lot can be said for 25 years of muscle memory ! and I can find ammo for it in any walmart in the Country .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I think in the "SHTF" scenarios having a light AR15 is a good weapon, especially loaded with the Mk-262 ammo but I REALLY
    would feel much more secure [during SHTF] with a 7.62x51mm AR10; so I took my 20" "Gen-1" A-2, upgraded it with the
    appropriate "Gen-2" parts, added a 6 position stock and shortened the barrel so [with the muzzle break] it's now an 18"
    AR-10 that is "light" enough, reasonably short and still has heavy power. I also have some M-61 AP rounds which make it
    a nice "anti vehicle" and obstacle defeating nightmare.

AR for me.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Since we also seem to be talking about the advantages of having a nice .22LR - Mine is the old Remington Nylon 66 which is a great, extremely lightweight rifle that functions incredibly well dirty and requires very little maintenance. They are sort of classed as "vintage" now though but, back when I got mine it was a "cheapie" rifle due to the synthetic Nylon stock.
    So Yes, a good .22 would sure be handy + about a gazillion rounds of rimfire ammo.
    I too must go with MY Nylon 66...Everything QKShooter said about it is spot on...I'll pick up an AR or AK after the fact if the SHTF. JMO
    JoeFriday likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

SHTF rifle is what ever I can get my hands on when it happens. If I am fortunate enough to be at home, then I'm grabbing my AR, 250 rounds of ammo + 5 loaded mags, BOB, maybe my PSL and another 100 rounds of ammo for it, plus my daily carry & 100 rounds. After packing for my training class coming up (trying to get it all in a single 3 day pack - not gonna happen), weight is a HUGE factor. 500 rounds of 5.56 ammo is significant. 800 was insane. Toss in another 3L of water and food....

Away from home, I will be depriving someone (living or dead) of a rifle at some point. Not going to be picky about make, model or caliber.

For those who choose a particular caliber because they can get ammo at any [insert chain store here], what makes you think that they will not have been looted empty of ammo, among other survival type things within the first 3 days?

If I run out of ammo, or come across another rifle/ammo combo in my evac that has more/better than what I have, I trade up. I seriously doubt that any SHTF weapon will be kept in possession for any great length of time. Depending on the circumstances, when you run out of ammo, you are scrounging for whatever you can get. Ultimately we will be down to slingshots as long as the rubber bands and smallish rocks are in abundance. When the rubber runs out, welcome to the stone age.

Jonconsiglo, if you end up on that show, I will have lost all respect (which is considerable) for you. You will be dead to me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Jonconsiglo, if you end up on that show, I will have lost all respect (which is considerable) for you. You will be dead to me.
    Filming starts next Tuesday bro!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Have started building me a AR so that will be the one I grab. Course if the wife and daughter are with me the SKS (Model-M) with its AK47 mags will be coming also.

I know that .223 ammo has the weight advantage; but a SCAR17S with 3 more fully loaded mags is the fightn' rifle I,M PICKING UP FIRST. .308rounds are fairly common. If TME ALLOWS , I'll bug out with my Mini14 and the Scar17s . Making sure one of the wife's big designer purses is filled with .223's and .308's.

Keep in mind while an AR 5.56 is an excellent defensive round, but it does lack some when it comes to collecting dinner (wild boar, deer) unless you’re capable or making head shots.

For that reason mine has a 2x8 scope. I also don’t mind keeping my problems at distance, so again the scope would come in handy.

Here's the first gun I'd grab. It's my Kel-Tec PLR-16 I turned into a SBR a few months ago. I got my Class III stamp during the Christmas break - Merry Christmas to me! - and added the folding stock from a K-T SU-16 C model and a Magpul AFG2 (Angled Fore-Grip). It has a 9.5" barrel, accepts AR mags, muzzle breaks and rail accessories. It's lighter than an M4 and folds up for easy storage and carrying. I put 200 rounds through it this past weekend and had no problems other than a sore shoulder from wearing a "T" shirt at the range because temps were in the 70's. I can easily hit an empty 16oz cola bottle all day at 50 yards and put 10 of 10 shots in a gallon milk jug at 75 yards... more than good enough for "combat" accuracy. I'd also grab my M&P 15-22 for small game and as a go-to gun should the K-T be out of play for any reason.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I'm going to be different than all of you.Mw SHTF rifle is an old m1 carbine.Is light,easiy to carry,battle proven for over 60 years now and will get the job done,especially when loaded with sp/hp.

The best SHTF rifle is the 1st rifle you can grab before you leave your house not to return :)

in my case, that would be a 9mm pistol and an AR15

you take whatever you can get, and you take it :)

now if you want to make a SHTF rifle, I guess that would be different. I would still go with a AR. maybe a small pistol/sbr sized AK to throw in a backpack, but I'll probably just keep my AR :)

Hopefully by the time shtf, 300 blackout will be popular, because that's a dual purpose cartridge

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links