S.H.T.F. Rifle - Page 8

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I chose the AK. If I were in a situation where maintenance items were very scarce or nonexistence it is IMHO that the AK would ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

I chose the AK. If I were in a situation where maintenance items were very scarce or nonexistence it is IMHO that the AK would continue to function after the ARs stopped. Of course this is based up some experience in the SEA past conflict.

AS much as I like the 1911 platforms I would chose a Glock for the same reason.

An AK 47, a Glock and a Ka-Bar would let a country boy survive

My first preference is the AK 47, had one, wish I didn't have to get rid of it. My grandfather passed away couple months ago and I'm getting his Mini 14. That's my second choice... can get a tactical stock, put all the bells and whistles on it that ya want. Third choice would be an AR unless it's the gas piston style... then it's u pin the air between AK and AR.

VIP Member
    Earlier I voted for the AR, but really any will be better that having the 1 shot hunting rifle. or a sling shot

If you have an AR-15 rifle and Mini 14 you will be in high cotton! The AR-15 will provide years of trouble free use amd the mini-14 will hold your troutline to the bottom of the river for many years as well! Plus every time you run the troutline you will get the pleasure of throughing it back to the bottom of the river again and again!

If you would have put up a an M1A or M1 Garand I would have voted for that but I would be happy with the AR-15 platform as well.

even though sling shots are more accutate then my mini14 I still vote for it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    even though sling shots are more accutate then my mini14 I still vote for it
    can always shoots rocks with the sling shot, what happens when you run out of bullets?

For now this will be my bug out rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I chose the AK. If I were in a situation where maintenance items were very scarce or nonexistence it is IMHO that the AK would continue to function after the ARs stopped. Of course this is based up some experience in the SEA past conflict.

AS much as I like the 1911 platforms I would chose a Glock for the same reason.

An AK 47, a Glock and a Ka-Bar would let a country boy survive
    Beans,

I know where you're coming from and I agree that an AK requires less maintenance. I kept my M16 A1 clean and never had any problems with it.

But............both platforms were designed to be "spray & pray". We as civilians don't have the "happy switch" on our AR's or AK's. The AK was not designed for accuracy but to put the maximum amount of fire down range in a minimum amount of time. The AR has less recoil and is more accurate in the semi-auto mode of fire. I'd rather be able to hit my target as soon as possible. I have a Norinco AK also so I have had many opportunities to compare. Not to mention that I've shot a number of "battle field pickup" AK's in SEA also. (Infantry Platoon Leader - 1st Infantry Div. 1968-1969)

(Ya, I know there are some of you who will say that your AK is super accurate and can hit a Nat's butt out to 1000 yds.) But....can you do that on a two way range?)

P.S. I clean my 1911 also. Plus we both carry a 1911 Commander as our primary carry gun. As a former Grunt to a Jarhead, I salute you!

I think your poll should have included newer AR designs. Direct impingement versus piston driven. The piston driven designs by H&K (MR556A1 or 416 for the military) and Ruger SR-556 are examples. I think some special forces (Delta Force and SEALS) are using the H&K 416 now. Found much more reliable than M4s when pushed to the limits. Rumored to be the weapon that got Bin Laden. Can't afford the H&K MR556. I have a PWS on order. Has an AK47 style long piston design.

I like that HK 416! Where can I shop this?

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    I think your poll should have included newer AR designs. Direct impingement versus piston driven. The piston driven designs by H&K (MR556A1 or 416 for the military) and Ruger SR-556 are examples. I think some special forces (Delta Force and SEALS) are using the H&K 416 now. Found much more reliable than M4s when pushed to the limits. Rumored to be the weapon that got Bin Laden. Can't afford the H&K MR556. I have a PWS on order. Has an AK47 style long piston design.
    Last edited by Justified; April 11th, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added question
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My modified SKS is my SHTF rifle right now.

I have been sipping some black rifle Kool Aid though...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    For an end-of-civilization situation, in which modern lubricants are history, the AK is the logical choice. The AK has a history of functioning under Third World conditions. The SKS should, I would think, be about as reliable under terrible conditions, but I will go with the removable box magazines of the AK. (I believe in retaining spent mags.) My personal preference is the Mini-14, largely for the more ergonomic safety, and overall handling qualities. I think the AR is great when one has easy access to modern lubricants and cleaning products, but the OP's scenario did not indicate that to be the case.

"AK" was my poll response, even though I am not really a fan of the AK. It just makes the most sense for the scenario presented, with the given choices. A true long-term end-of-civilization rifle, for the self-sufficient man, might best be a flintlock; no cartridges needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    I like that HK 416! Where can I shop this?
    Those H&Ks are expensive! The semi auto rifle version of the 416 (MR556A1) retails for around $3K. Uppers around $2K. Supposed to fit with milspec lowers. I don't know much more since my wife will not let me spend that much on just a rife.

I was going to look at getting a Colt 6721 and shoot that instead of my Colt CAR-15 SP1. I wanted the heavy barrel on the 6721 instead of the M4 contoured barrel of the 6720. But my favorite gunshop/dealer is high on PWS MK116 rifles (Primary Weapons System) with an AK47 style piston gas rod. He showed me one and broke it down so I could check out the parts. Weighs a little over 6 pounds. Showed me a PWS video of one submersed in water and then immediately fired when picked up out of the water (not that I'd ever have to do that). I was sold and ordered one (about $1600) with iron sights. Takes 3-4 months. PWS has a website with videos. Can google a lot about the PWS rifles. I think uppers can be purchased.

Couple of reviews: Primary Weapons Systems PWS MK116 and PWS MK216 | Shooting Illustrated

Primary Weapons Systems MK1 Piston AR-15 Review | Armory Blog

simply put. pick whatever rifle youre comfortable with. myself i prefer a bolt action, .308 caliber, with a scope and back up iron sights. ( savage hog hunter). youre rifle should be a popular caliber with known and recorded durrability. although, what really matters is planning and becoming proficient with your weapons platform. You can drop 2000$ on a rifle if you wish, but that hi tech rifle will become nothing more than a war club if you dont know how to use it. It comes down to practice! That alone will save your life wether its a moison nagant, muzzle loader, or high speed hi tech AR-15 with all the beeps and buzzers. choose whats most comfortable for YOU.
    zmaier likes this.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Sponsored Links