S.H.T.F. Rifle

S.H.T.F. Rifle

This is a discussion on S.H.T.F. Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Haven't bought anything in a while. I have a mini 14 but am designing a B.O.B. and what-not and find the mini 14 to be ...

View Poll Results: Bug Out Rifle?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger mini 14

29 9.15%
  • AR

198 62.46%
  • SK

13 4.10%
  • AK

77 24.29%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S.H.T.F. Rifle

Question S.H.T.F. Rifle

Haven't bought anything in a while. I have a mini 14 but am designing a B.O.B. and what-not and find the mini 14 to be heavy when thinking of hiking 10 hours or so a day (in a SHTF). So I am thinking of a new rifle. What do you think would be best for travel on foot in the elements. Considering function, accuracy, maintenance, weight, etc.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have always wanted a mini 14.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Being as i've had the preban mini14 with a butler creek folding stock, and a fairly tricked out norinco AK...and now I have the M4.

I would vote for the AR, much lighter...plus you already have 223 ammo.

I would go with the AR as well. More versatile in set up and much more conducive to hiking.

I have an AR and an AK, I want to say AR in most cases because it's easier to carry more ammo and ammo availability is better. Although, if poo-poo really, and I mean really, hits the fan I'd want an AK just for outright reliability. Accounting for worst case scenario, I voted AK.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I guess I'm the odd duck here, my vote goes to SKS. No magazines to mess with, just grab rifle and ammo. Magazines make for a little quicker reloading as long as you have plenty of mag's, but at some point you'll run out of pre-loaded mags. At that point the SKS being fed by stripper clips becomes superior.
    Also tactical reloads can be preformed with zero loss of live ammo.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was stuck between the AK and the AR. I have an AK and my dad owns and AR. I voted AR simply due to accuracy. Havent had any problems with either guns at the range, both are simple to maintain, both are good choices. These two guns have been debated many times before, and probly always will be, can't go wrong with either.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I really have to agree with JaySki- the AR is great because of the lighter/smaller ammo. But, when it all comes down to it, and it ABSOLUTELY HAS TO WORK; I pick AK. I'm familiar with it, the 7.62X39 is a great round, and, well, I just like it.
    JaySkiBum likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I voted for the AR platform. Reliability is just fine (assuming you take care of your weapon - which is true for any platform), its accurate, powerful, capacity is good, and light enough to be carried long distances. Plus, its a common system, so magazines, ammo, misc supplies, repair tools/parts, etc, etc, etc can all readily be found, even in a SHTF scenario. I have a pretty simplistic AR15 for my BO rifle... it may not be "tacticool", but it'll certainly get the job done of protecting my family and myself, which is priority #1 in a bad scenario. Also, the .223 is not a great hunting round, but its more than enough to take down Texas deer and hog. So protection and hunting system all in one.

OpJ

How about a kriss super v Handgun ammo .45acp but if it matches your handgun why not 5.5 inch barrel with a tax stamp folding stock and 5 1/2lbs. Takes a glock mag. I'm having a hard time besides the price fing a better combo.
    genauwiedu likes this.

AR....Everyone and there brother has one, has mags for one and you can find parts, ammo and mags litterally anywhere including our military.

The more I think about the realities of what is really going to be important in any type of civil emergency, the more I believe a good semi auto 22 rimfire with a cargo pocket full of extra magazines would be the most useful rifle to have.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The more I think about the realities of what is really going to be important in any type of civil emergency, the more I believe a good semi auto 22 rimfire with a cargo pocket full of extra magazines would be the most useful rifle to have.
    You beat me to it. +1
    Richard58 and FoggyGoggles like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Yep, I was thinking AR for just the same reasons in Doodle's post above. If you need something for it, you're gonna have a hell of a lot easier time finding AR parts, ammo and mags in the US.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Of the ones you listed, a good AR with iron sights would be a very light option. I have a Colt 6720 lightweight and I can't believe how light it is. Right now it's still in its factory configuration. The others (not sure about the Mini-14) will not be as light.

Not on your list, I agree with Glockman that a good 22 may be the way to go. Super light and easy to carry. 1,000 rounds is nothing to carry. I have a great lever action from the 50's that is uber reliable. That would probably work for most people.

But, I need my AR...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links