223 and 30 Carbine Against Water Jugs

This is a discussion on 223 and 30 Carbine Against Water Jugs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had some time this weekend to create a new video. I pulled out my SU16C and M1 Carbine to shoot some water jugs to see ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MNBurl
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 223 and 30 Carbine Against Water Jugs

Had some time this weekend to create a new video. I pulled out my SU16C and M1 Carbine to shoot some water jugs to see the power of each. The 223 was standard federal black box 55grain FMJ and the 30 Carbine was Remington SP.

Take a look.

pistola likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I sure wouldn't want to stand in front of either bullet!

The .30 Carbine round in its FMJ loading certainly left a lot to be desired when compared to the .30-06 round in the contemporary M1 Garand. Reference was made to how much more effective the .30-06 round was in "Breakout," a great book about the Chosin Reservoir campaign in the Korean War.

The soft-point carbine ammo was pretty impressive on the water jugs, though. How about repeating the experiment with expanding 5.56 ammo to level the playing field?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

MNBurl's tough! Holding ballistic testing with all that white stuff around. I've never seen that much snow here in Texas (well maybe the '64 snow) but I'd not likely be out fooling around with water jugs under those conditions. Great job putting this clip together and the snow looks nice. The .30 Carbine's pretty wicked with soft point ammunition.

Shot a large 'coon a couple of years back from about 50 yards while deer hunting on our place with my M1 Carbine. He sorta behaved like that water jug hit with the .30 Carbine soft point. He appeared to have grenaded.

Have posted this photo before but here's a similar gallon milk jug full of water at instant of impact from a .223 50 grain Remington Core-Lokt spitzer soft point handload stepping out at a goodly velocity, fired by my wife.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Done killed those jugs graveyard dead. It did appear the M1 carbine was more devastating than the 223.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    MNBurl's tough! Holding ballistic testing with all that white stuff around. I've never seen that much snow here in Texas (well maybe the '64 snow) but I'd not likely be out fooling around with water jugs under those conditions. Great job putting this clip together and the snow looks nice. The .30 Carbine's pretty wicked with soft point ammunition.

Shot a large 'coon a couple of years back from about 50 yards while deer hunting on our place with my M1 Carbine. He sorta behaved like that water jug hit with the .30 Carbine soft point. He appeared to have grenaded.

Have posted this photo before but here's a similar gallon milk jug full of water at instant of impact from a .223 50 grain Remington Core-Lokt spitzer soft point handload stepping out at a goodly velocity, fired by my wife.

Note to DC Forum members: bcmcgilvray has one of only three fixed-stock, integral carry handled ARs with a leather GI sling known to exist! Study this photograph so you can identify the others if you should come across them. (Also note the complete absence of accessory items from Cheaper Than Dirt...)
    pistola and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My M1 Carbine with SPs is my backup deer rifle. It would do a fine job with a deer very similar to my 1894 Marlin 357 with SPs that is used as primary.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have to find somewhere to try that with 170 gr JSPs out of my .30-30 Marlin 336.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10thmtn I would love to see that. I will do the same thing with my Marlin 1894 357 with soft points and JHPs.
    MNBurl

Sponsored Links