colt sp6920 magpul

This is a discussion on colt sp6920 magpul within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I've been looking for an ar for awhile now, and I just made my purchase. I just ordered a brand new colt sp 6920 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: colt sp6920 magpul

colt sp6920 magpul

Well I've been looking for an ar for awhile now, and I just made my purchase. I just ordered a brand new colt sp 6920 magpul (colt sp6920 with magpul furnature and 2 pmags) all for $1050 plus tax and ffl cost, (free shipping). Can't wait for it to arrive and to shoot it. Does anyone have experience with this rifle and any suggestions about internals to change for better performance. I am looking at the a2 buffer system and the possibility of changing the trigger but I need to shoot it before I make those decisions.

2. Remove Ads

The only thing I would change is the buffer and spring,I'd go with an H or H-2 buffer,the trigger will get a lot better with shooting,and Most all Colt parts are mpi tested,so its good to go!

I just picked up a similar rifle, the LE6920MP-R. It's got all of the Magpul hardware, but has the Troy quad rail. You made a wise choice! Great rifle.

The rifle is GTG as is. No upgrades needed. Shoot it, enjoy it. If you wanted a match trigger you would have bought a match grade barrel. If colt wanted a heavier buffer in it they would have put it there. Don't mess with the gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    The only thing I would change is the buffer and spring,I'd go with an H or H-2 buffer
    The 6920 already comes with an H buffer and the correct spring. No changes are needed...It's a Colt, for Pete's sake...

thanks for the replies. I know its a colt and its great as is. but I don't want great I want the best. one of the reasons I got it in addition to the obvious ones is that I am going to gunsmithing school in the fall and I have numerous guns to work on but not an ar yet and to learn something well you have to practice and work on it a lot, and while you do work on customer guns where I will be at school the more modifications I learn and practice the better. The reason I am looking at the a2 buffer is that from all of my research the carbine length rifles suffer from some issues caused by the shorter gas system on the shorter barrel. From what Ive seen the a2 very slightly slows the rate of fire but not too noticeably while it makes the rifles reliability closer to the full length gas systems.

You could sell it and buy a spikes! I'm just playing with ya. No seriously I wouldn't change a thing until after you get it and run the snot out of it. Then if you see fit I would do whatever upgrades you would want.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    The 6920 already comes with an H buffer and the correct spring. No changes are needed...It's a Colt, for Pete's sake...
    I was thinking the same thing. Colt should already have an H buffer and an M16 carrier. You shouldn't need to make any changes.

Definitely no need to change any of the internals- you can't do anything to make it run better or last longer. Add optics, back-up irons, a good sling, maybe a rail if you're going to hang a vertical foregrip or a white light up front. I'd save your money for more mags, ammo and training. For the latter, Pat Rogers has a Carbine Operators Course coming to Lakeland in December. Worth every cent.
    sgb likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The colt is the gold standard. Other makes and models may have buffer and gas system issues. This one won't. Until you start spending money and time to fix a non existent problem. Sorry to put it bluntly but your research is incorrect.

It is set up optimally from the start. Don't go changing anything at all right now. Shoot it and get to know it. Once you've spent a bit of time on it and attended a class, if possible, then think about the changes. Here's ALL I'd recommend below and they aren't in any real order.

1. Change the Rogers stock to a Magpul, B5 or LMT SOPMOD, or even the standard M4 stock. I don't care for the Rogers, so this is a personal choice. I would not do this though until you have a good bit of time on the rifle.

2. Remove the Magpul rear sight if you plan to shoot irons at all and replace it with a KAC (expensive), MaTech, Troy...

3. Add an optic. This is a personal choice, so magnified or red dot will depend on you.

4. Add a light. I prefer Surefire but the Insight is a quality light as well. IWC MOUNT-N-SLOT makes great mounts for the Magpul hand guard and so does Haley Strategic.

5. Sling. VCAS or VTAC 2 point is my choice after trying and using many other slings over the years.

6. Rail system from Centurion, DD, Troy, KAC, etc. ONLY if you find the MOE is too short for you and you need to reach out farther and if you plan on running any type of laser, then a free float rail like those above is a good idea. This would be the very last thing I'd do if not running a laser. By laser, I mean a DBAL or PEQ 15 IR illuminator, not something like a Surefire x400.

7. Change out the grip to something more comfortable or at the very least as the Ergo Gapper so you don't chew up your middle finger from the gap in the trigger guard and grip.

DO NOT change out your buffer or muzzle device unless mounting a suppressor. Many will mess around with buffer weights thinking it will soften recoil. They use the gas port and buffer combo for a reason. Only if you're shooting mostly 5.56 ammo on the hot side should you consider an H2. DO NOT change out the trigger unless it's to a Geissele SSA. The COlt GI trigger is the most reliable option, which you already have and all the others are less reliable. The only trigger out there that has proven as reliable is the SSA. DO NOT add any other type of gimmicky stuff or competition kit unless all you do is shoot competition.

I know it's hard to resist and one of the first things I see people say when they order a new rifle is "what should I change". The thing is, you shouldn't change anything until you know for yourself what does and does not work. Don't change to an SSA because this guy uses it or add a SOPMOD because that guy uses it. You may hate it or it may offer no advantage to you.

It'll all come with time. Enjoy the rifle and shoot the heck out of it. As gasmitty mentioned, that EAG class would be the first thing I'd recommend. Get a sling and about a dozen mags. Get a light if it's a defensive rifle or the class has a night course. Get an optic if you feel you'll use it regularly. DO NOT buy cheap. Buy an Aimpoint or EoTech (if you want a red dot) or stick to irons for now.

Good luck and enjoy.

EDIT - As for the buffer, the ONLY thing I'd recommend is the Vltor A5. Search it on M4carbine.net. It is basically a mix between the carbine and rifle system with the reliability of the rifle system. The carbine set up is NOT unreliable, it's just not as consistent as the rifle buffer when mixing ammo and suppressors, etc. Keep it as is for now.
    archie72490 and sgb like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

thanks the only thing I'm going to do for now is put a red dot sight on it. any other changes will happen after a few thousand rounds at least. It comes with magpul furniture and fore grip which is why I thought the price was great, so no need to change that.

Get a good sling and learn how to use it. I'd also stick a light on there with the MOUNT-N-SLOT or Haley Strategic mount. I use Surefire Scout lights, but a G2 works just as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by archie72490 View Post
    thanks the only thing I'm going to do for now is put a red dot sight on it. any other changes will happen after a few thousand rounds at least.
    Now your talking! :-)

Shoot it. Enjoy it. After a few thousand round, you'll know what you need to add or modify...

Quote Originally Posted by archie72490 View Post
    thanks the only thing I'm going to do for now is put a red dot sight on it. any other changes will happen after a few thousand rounds at least. It comes with magpul furniture and fore grip which is why I thought the price was great, so no need to change that.
    may I suggest the Aimpoint T1 with a larue 660 mount .... light, fast acquisition, and tough as nails. Plus it comes in 4 and 2moa flavor now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links