Favorite option for HD rifle or shotgun

This is a discussion on Favorite option for HD rifle or shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I normally keep an XD 9 available as my go to weapon when at home. I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Favorite option for HD rifle or shotgun

I normally keep an XD 9 available as my go to weapon when at home. I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a HD shotgun that I could access also. I have young kids and am a little concerned about over-penatration with a handgun, but not sure buck shot would be a whole lot more confined? For those of you that use long guns for home defense, what do you use and why do you chose that particular gun.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have 2 of these
    Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round - Remington Shotguns
    for home defense. You can't beat a shotgun for short range protection. I Like #4 buck for the purpose of adequate penetration without overpenetration.

http://www.cabelas.com/pump-action-r...otguns-1.shtml
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

An 870 is one part of the home defense "portfolio." It's got an 18" rifle-sighted barrel and sits ready with 4 rounds of buckshot in the magazine. The choice was based on the fact I already had the 870 for waterfowling, it was proven reliable with a lot of use in the field, and running the gun is second nature to me. Buckshot is the ammo of choice; slugs are too much for "around the house" and birdshot isn't enough.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I recommend the 2.75" - 1.25 oz of #6 shot. I will not over penetrate but 1 shell will wipe out a bad guy, at in home distances.

This is what someone would see.

Attached Images
    Rigrat likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I like the old fashioned coach gun...double barrel...12ga...00 buck.
    No pump action noise, just two big barrels looking at you...quite intimidating, not to mention POWERFUL!
    My Glock is always on my side, but as a special 'welcoming committee', not much says surprise like a double barrel shotie.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

sgb
    Justified and Guest1 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

RKM
    I think a SBR Draco would be awesome. With a modified Ultimak rail to fit the short gas system with a micro dot and scout light. Loaded with 7.62x39 SP. The barrel length doesn't affect 7.62x39 ballastics as much as it does a SBR AR in 5.56, even though I'd say at HD distances, it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Though, I'd hate to have an expensive NFA firearm, stolen, I mean confiscated by the police if I had to use it for self defense. With all the horror stories I hear about trying to get your gun back after an incident, I'd rather stick with a good reliable pistol or a shotgun. A firearm that would be easily replaces. But in a perfect world, SBR Draco would be my choice.

As far as over penetration, keep in mind anything that won't go through drywall, won't go through a BG either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear2 View Post
    I recommend the 2.75" - 1.25 oz of #6 shot. I will not over penetrate but 1 shell will wipe out a bad guy, at in home distances.
    With all due respect you are wrong. Each pellet acts independently once it leaves the bore. So instead of 1 1.25 OZ slug you have 200 much lighter projectiles that bleed off energy fast. Sure, it will make an ugly wound, but nothing I would count on stopping an attacking man with.

I load my 870 with 7 1 oz slugs with 6 more on a sidesaddle. The only other thing that I would load is 00 buck, it has a proven track record. My wife and I live alone, in the country. We have horses. Mountain lions and bears have been here before, so I want something I can grab for anything in the middle of the night. That is backed up by my Glock 30 (16 shots of 45 cause I like big mags) with a light.

Don't laugh.

Winchester Model '07 .351
    DSCN3265.jpg

Also an M1 Carbine stands ready.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Personally I prefer rifles to shotguns but that is just me either one works.

My nightstand gun is a S&W .45 with a WML and my AR is close by. With the redi mag I have 60 rounds on the gun available should I ever need it.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Don't laugh.

Winchester Model '07 .351
    DSCN3265.jpg

Also an M1 Carbine stands ready.
    Heck, Brian, no laffin' at all. If memory serves me correctly, the Win 07 carbine was the duty rifle of Charlie Askins in the early days of the Border Patrol, back when we took border security seriously. (Note - a fun read is his autobiography, Unrepentant Sinner. Lots of stories about patrolling along the Rio Grande.)

Now if you had an '03 Springfield by the bedstead, that might get me to chuckle a little bit, at least until a round got set off indoors!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Firstly, consider backstops in areas that you feel shooting would be likely. Moving to #4 buck will allow you sufficient penetration to drop someone, but also allow you to lose that energy by going through walls and books.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

If you're set on a shotgun and still worried about overpenetration, #4 buck is probably your best choice. Birdshot is not something I would count on to save my life, and slugs are just too much if you have neighbors anywhere near you.

Wrong and Right,I've been on investigations where individuals have been shot with "Bird Shot" at 20-30 feet,it is devestating on the human body,in the last one ,someone had broken in a mans barn,and started to attack him with a sling blade,man shoots with a mossberg 500,#7,2.3/4",man hits the deck and never moved again,the wound was about 3"wide and @3-4 " deep,now if I live in your sit.and was'nt worried about over-penetration then I would run your set-up as well,but slugs and buck-shot will exit your house and enter a neighbors house,in the right circumstances,and we all are aware of Murphy!
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    With all due respect you are wrong. Each pellet acts independently once it leaves the bore. So instead of 1 1.25 OZ slug you have 200 much lighter projectiles that bleed off energy fast. Sure, it will make an ugly wound, but nothing I would count on stopping an attacking man with.

I load my 870 with 7 1 oz slugs with 6 more on a sidesaddle. The only other thing that I would load is 00 buck, it has a proven track record. My wife and I live alone, in the country. We have horses. Mountain lions and bears have been here before, so I want something I can grab for anything in the middle of the night. That is backed up by my Glock 30 (16 shots of 45 cause I like big mags) with a light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links