Help me decide on which AK.

This is a discussion on Help me decide on which AK. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning on buying an AK in the next month. I was thinking of getting either an Romainian WASR or a Sagia Conversion from ...

Thread: Help me decide on which AK.

Help me decide on which AK.

I am planning on buying an AK in the next month. I was thinking of getting either an Romainian WASR or a Sagia Conversion from Classic Arms:
    Unadvertised Specials

For geneal information, this would be my first semi-auto rifle, first experieince with an AK. I plan on using the gun for plinking/fun and as a SHTF bug out gun.

The Saiga is about $10 dollars more than the WASR-10. From what I have seen the Sagia is supposed to be a better quality. I really can't decide if I like the wood or the plastic furniture.
    I am assuming the plastic is slightly lighter?
    Since the Saiga is a conversion I assume the reciever will have the trigger notch in the original sporter location, and the pistol grip covers that? Is there an issue with this weakening the reciever or with dirt being able to get into the reciever?

They also have another AK in all black that has a rail type forearm. This might be nice to have as I may want to eventually trick it out with a red dot or other optic and a light.

I may decide to paint the gun cammo if I go with the plastic.

Another option that I have is a LGS has two WASR underfolders. The price is $390, but then I would have to pay sales tax (6% here). I have heard that the underfolders are not as easy to shoot, and not as comfortable plus you don't have the option of going to a fixed stock with them.

I would appreciate any input on pluses and minuses of the models.

Thanks

Ted

2. Remove Ads

I'm partial to Saiga's. They are new Russian rifles (barrel etc). Haven't read anything bad about the Classic Arms conversions.

Senior Moderator
    I just recieved 2 Saiga AK's from Classic Arms last week.

They are much better rifles that the current crop of WASR's, there really is no comparison.

As for the folding stock versions, they are great to carry but they are not fun to shoot.
    They will pound your cheek. Most people end up selling them to buy a fixed stock rifle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Yep Saiga all the way. No question.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

RKM
    Saiga's are better than WASR's no doubt about it. You'll need to add some time and cost in order to turn it into what we all know the AK to be. Don't get me wrong, not all WASR's are bad. If you can physically inspect one yourself to check for canted sights and gas blocks, excessive mag wobble etc., you'll be ok. FWIW, my WASR 10/63 has been nothing but perfect. I bought it as a single stack and converted it myself. sights are straight, gas block is straight. It's been fantastic. I'm lucky.

Not sure what your budget is, but you can never go wrong with an Arsenal SGL-21. Even though I'm happy with my WASR, if I could go back in time, I'd save the extra money and buy an SGL-21. But since my WASR has been trouble free and shoots great, I'm sticking with it :)

I'm not sure where to buy a factory AK-105 variant, but that's what I really want.... basically a Draco SBR

Stay away from Lancaster Arms. I learned the HARD way!!! Lancaster Arms Sucks

The OP is talking about a converted Classic Arms Saiga, not converting one.

Here's a link to a previous post addressing some of your questions.

Saiga Conversion Customability?

The receiver is a Izhmash Russian without any other holes cut (except small holes in back where the FCG was). There are no weakness issues etc due to it being a Saiga.

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to get a check in the mail this week so I should be able to order it this weekend. I am going with the Sagia since it seems to be highly regarded. The ad at Classic Arms says that their conversion uses all standard double stack AK mags so all in all it sounds like a sweet deal.

A special thanks to HotGuns for pointing me to the Classic Arms site to begin with. If he wants to PM me with any personal information I can put in a good word for him with Classic Arms. Who knows maybe they will give him a commission discount on his next order.

Links