Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's the difference, besides.price? Is the 500 worth the difference, or not so much? The role would be enjoyable range time and third line of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88

What's the difference, besides.price? Is the 500 worth the difference, or not so much?

The role would be enjoyable range time and third line of home defense.

1: Dog and cell phone.
    2: S&W M65 and a flashlight.
    3: Shotty.

It even looks like some of the 500 accys fit the 88...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I have both. I got a used 88 for like $160, new they are $230. New ones here have longer magazine tube and dual slides, mine is a single and I didn't care as I shot an Ithaca for years with no problems. I like it, I haven't put as many rounds through the 88 as my 500.

I looked at both for my wife's first gun. I opted to spend a few more $$$ for the 500, just personal opinion I felt the 88 was too cheaply made, and it showed.
    mano3 likes this.

Ex Member
    I have both. Go with the Maverick.

Maverick 88 Sells new here for 159 to 184 it is a fine shot gun for home defense and anything else you may want to use it for.
    There is no need for a expensive HD shot gun it needs to be reliable and one that stays home the Maverick 88 is prefect.
    I am no fan of the Rambo style Shot gun but if you want to trick the Maverick 88 all the junk is hanging on the wall at any Gun toy store.
    The over all length right from the box is a shade over 38 inches not bad at all.
    Model88 (2).JPG

If you ever feel the need to mod your shotgun, the cheap Maverick won't work with standard parts like mag extensions etc..... I like Mossbergs......had a couple. I like the Rem 870 better actually. From a gunsmith's point of view and a home defender like you. Concerned with price? What are you paying for gasoline in your area now? What's your life worngth? What's your idea of cheap, and how do you want to live? What's the real difference all comes down to you and what you're willing to work with. Some things you can't skimp on. Water, rice, potatoes, and ammo. Select your tools accordingly.

Neither get the 590
    marcclarke likes this.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Thank you to those that actually attempted to answer my question.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

RKM
    I've never handled a Maverick, but from what I understand, it's basically just a 500, but built with lesser quality parts and materials. I can't say that's 100% true or not. But I'd have to say the 88 would probably suffice. I have a 500 but I don't regret paying the extra for it.

My dad had the maverick and to me it felt like it was adequate but for the price difference I preferred the 500. I actually went with the 590 as it held more rounds and was seemingly more well built. The accessory aspect was a considerable thought as well. I dont think you will be disappointed with either. If the price difference is not a concern I as well would opt for the 590. My big 5 had it for $379. I love it. It is more comfortable to shoot than the maverick IMO as well. Let us know what you decide on and post some pics!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Trigger group is different and not interchangeable. Safety is near the trigger on the Maverick, top of the receiver on the 500.
    Used to be only one slide bar on the Maverick, I hear that may have changed, I'm not sure. The Maverick barrel and some other parts are made in Mexico. I keep hearing conflicting stories about whether or not the barrels are interchangeable. There are accessories available for the Maverick, but not as many as for the 500.
    dangerranger likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have a single slide, the new ones are double, and have a longer magazine- two friends just bought them. Barrels are interchangeable, I bought mine with a field barrel and bought an 18.5 Mossberg 500 barrel rather than cut it down. Some accessories will work, sling attachment and such. Forearm is not interchangeable, it is pinned (unless that changed, I forgot to ask).
    Last edited by Cory1022; February 27th, 2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

I have yet to find a negative review of the Maverick from anyone who actually owns one. I have a 500 and it is awesome, I would trust it with my life and not think twice. If budget is a concern, the 88 should be able to sling some buckshot as well as any other. If you are going to mod it, I think you can also afford to spend the extra and get the 500.

I bought the 500 and 88 at the same as I want one for normal use and one for field use. The 500 has been flawless for 500 rounds in one shooting with multiple shooters taking turn. One the other hand, the 88 had a fired round stuck in the chamber after 14 rounds. Both guns were field stripped and greased before going out. After that, I was flawless for 86 more rounds. I can't tell if it was a bad shell or not. I like both guns but for home defense a 590 or 870 are way better, and I have them too. The 870 is smoother and the local cops use it so "excessive weapon" argument won't apply if I ever have to use it for self defense.

I am constantly amazed at all the ninja turtles on the web. There are a couple of kinds. The so called know-it-all carting around a gun that is so weighted down with junk as to be useless or the blue blooded, oxygen starved from the high altitude of their nostrils. An 88 is a perfectly good gun for HD or just about any other place a shotgun will do. For HD I might put a light on it(no laser), a sling for sure, a cuff to hold ammo on the butt and nothing else unless If I had people with short arms in the house then a short stock, too. I can shoot a short one easier than they can shoot a long one. I may very likely make it a 20ga. I can hear the screams of alarm now, 20ga?? Yup, 20ga. For the frail, maybe even a 410. All are possible in Maverick 88.

410 by the way is 45 cal. Anyone care to step in front of my manly 1911? 410s have more SD ammo available than any other shotgun right now thanks to the Judge.
    OK mall crawlers. Lets hear the howls echo down the store fronts.
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links