Air Rifle suggestions please?

This is a discussion on Air Rifle suggestions please? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For reasons I don't understand, every summer wood peckers attack. I've patched a half dozen holes in the soffits and played crazy person yelling at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Air Rifle suggestions please?

Air Rifle suggestions please?

For reasons I don't understand, every summer wood peckers attack. I've patched a half dozen holes in the soffits and played crazy person yelling at woodpeckers jackhammering the metal exhaust outlet on the roof. Time for an air rifle!

Based on some web surfing, I'm thinking maybe a Nitro Piston .22 cal of some kind as a balance of power and sound (quiet), but I'm open to suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    I use a .22 rifle with CB rounds for pest control, at 710fps they're no louder than a pellet rifle. My brother in law's Gamo Whisper .177 also does a good job, I had to use it to dispatch a rabid racoon at my Mother in law's a month or so back.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I use a .22 rifle with CB rounds for pest control
    A good suggestion but I live in the city and the laws are such that I can shoot an "air rifle" but not a "fire arm".

Go to wally world and get any decent Crossman .177 or .22. I have a break barrel. Works fine, quiet, and pretty darn fast at over 1000fps
    Richard58 likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    A good suggestion but I live in the city and the laws are such that I can shoot an "air rifle" but not a "fire arm".
    Gotcha .....

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Be warned woodpeckers are Federally protected. Google it, there's a few suggestions for things to get rid of them. I went with vinyl siding although it killed me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    Be warned woodpeckers are Federally protected. Google it, there's a few suggestions for things to get rid of them. I went with vinyl siding although it killed me to do so.
    You know what will happen.
    The little wood ruiner's family will probably make a call to some tree-hugging nerd who will then call the Feds, so be very careful.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    Thanks. I did not know that. we had a woodpecker a few years ago when I first moved in but after prepping the wood and re staining it never came back.

My air rifles are the most accurate guns I own. .177 caliber is pretty versatile, but for your intended use I would avoid the 1000 ft/sec power levels. My Beeman R9 drills right through pigeons at about 25 yards, plus it's got a pretty loud snap. Something in the 700 ft/sec range would be ideal, IMO. Add a good scope with adjustable objective, and you've got a really fine package that will give you endless enjoyment even in your basement.

Assuming you don't mind investing a few hundred bucks, the spring-cocking airguns are about the best value. The PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) guns are more consistent and they don't have that noisy spring-twang when fired, but they are more expensive still. A couple of good outfits to deal with are Straight Shooters ( Straight Shooters Precision Airguns ) and Airguns of Arizona (Airguns of Arizona - Precision Air Rifles, Airgun, Pistols, Pellets ); the latter guys are pretty helpful over the phone. My recommendation would be the HW30 (also sold as the Beeman R-7).

And if you want or need to go low-buck, the pump-up airguns like the old Crosmans are... fair. Just make sure what you get has a rifled barrel, AND put a scope on it.

Lastly - the reason one generally gets woodpeckers is that you have some kind of bug they're chasing. Eliminate the food source, and you eliminate the woodpeckers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'll take the air rifle advice though! From what I've seen it sounds like CB shorts are quiter, albeit not as safe to use in the areas 'we aren't shooting in' if you take my meaning.

Links