Cutting down a Shotgun barrel

This is a discussion on Cutting down a Shotgun barrel within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to do it myself, I'm not going to pay a gunsmith a bunch of money to chop down a $60 shotgun....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cutting down a Shotgun barrel

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'm going to do it myself, I'm not going to pay a gunsmith a bunch of money to chop down a $60 shotgun.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, 18" minimum for shotgun barrels.

Senior Moderator
    Yup, 18" for shotguns: 26 USC 5845 - Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

By the way, you cannot "fix" a too short barrel by getting an AOW stamp. Once the gun is contraband, it is always contraband.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I did it to two shotguns in the past. Just used a bench vise and hacksaw. Wrapped masking tape around the barrel as a guide (aligned and squared up well) and carefully made the initial cut a little in front of the tape. Then used files to square to the tape margin and smoothed off the barrel edges and fine emery cloth to finish. I'd give at least an extra 1/2" extra just in case. Like everyone else is warning, make sure you don't cut too short or you'll probably end up paying more for a new legal barrel than the gun itself.

The most difficult part was drilling and tapping for a new bead sight at the precise apex of the barrel. Get one of those Trijicon or any other type of bead night sight for night use.

I guess I don't know if I would bother with a front sight on a chopped HD gun. If you are going to put one on I might consider paying to have it done. Putting it on in the wrong spot is in my opinion worse than not having one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    What about relocating a bead sight after cutting?
    The trick is to mount the replacement sight before you cut. That way you know it's centered.

I prefer a tube cutter and a hone or a abrasive stone made for cleaning up shotgun muzzle cuts.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links