What are some quality made AK's?

This is a discussion on What are some quality made AK's? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a pistol guy. Don't own 1 rifle. I've decided after shooting my buddies AK, that I want one. I know there's a ton of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some quality made AK's?

What are some quality made AK's?

I'm a pistol guy. Don't own 1 rifle. I've decided after shooting my buddies AK, that I want one. I know there's a ton of companies making them but don't know which are good and which suck. His is a WASR which I though were mid grade but have found a lot that disagree. If anybody could list a couple MFG's and their pecking order that would be great. I don't want top of the line, but don't want crap either. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    There is already a huge thread on this

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    The best quality AK's in my experience are:

1) VEPR
    2) Arsenal SGL series
    3) Arsenal SLR series
    4) Waffen Werks (AK74)
    5) Interarms
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    There is already a huge thread on this
    Did a search before I asked with keywords AK, AK-47, AK47, quality. Didn't turn up anything that answered my question. Thanks for your contribution.
    Last edited by Snatale42; February 27th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Another vote for the Arsenals.

If I was looking for a quality AK that's the only way I'd go.

ADDED: I'd go with the SGL31 (AK-74) in 5.45

It has a a chrome lined hammer forged barrel and can be had NIB for $900 or so.

Mags are plentiful and cheap too. over on the AK equipment exchanges you can find surplus Bulgarian and Russian mags for around $10 to $15 all day long.

Ammo is also plentiful and reasonably priced. You can get the surplus Russian stuff in a 1080 round spam can for about $140.00 plus shipping at AIM Surplus.

Ex Member
    Over the last 25 years I have bought, and sold, 20+ AK's. From Chinese, WASR, M70AB2, SAR1, and Arsenal's. The ONLY ones that couldn't go through a entire mag without a malfunction of some kind were the Arsenal's. I now own a M70AB2, folding stock, and a WASR. Both FLAWLESS.

My cheap Romanian WASR hasn't let me down yet. Definitely not pretty, but runs like a top. Bulgarian builds are supposed to be nicer, but I haven't tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    My cheap Romanian WASR hasn't let me down yet. Definitely not pretty, but runs like a top. Bulgarian builds are supposed to be nicer, but I haven't tried one.
    I have a SAR and I have a friend that has a Bulgarian and his is definitely a better shooter. It feels more solid and is not as sloppy as mine. Check out Rifle Dynamics. They build awesome AK's.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to see the recommendations you're going to get because I'd like to know as well. I'm sure you already know about them but US Palm has aftermarket products for an AK if you ever get one. I don't think they make a complete rifle but from what I have seen, they seem to have quality products.

RKM
    I'll say, WASR's aren't the best AK out there. They're good enough though. If you find one that's straight, it's nearly as good as any other AK. The fit and finish isn't perfect. The action isn't very smooth (does not affect performance), The finish actually really sucks compared to higher end AK's. If you liked shooting your buddies WASR and had no problems with it, then a WASR will probably do you just fine. You can get better AK's, but you'll pay for them.

I like to defend WASR's..... up to a point, because there ARE good WASR's out there. I own one. It's straight and has ran fantastically. On the other hand, I've handled a few WASR's that I would never consider shooting. You can fix canted front sights and gas blocks, but you shouldn't have to, it's pointless to buy a WASR that was put together so poorly. DON'T buy one that's not straight. If you are at all mechanically inclined and have a fairly steady hand, I suggest buying a single stack and cutting out the receiver yourself. I promise, it's not very hard.

I've only shot two different AK's. A Maddi and my WASR. I'm really not sure how Maddi's stack up against other AK's, but I can say, I couldn't tell the difference. Some people can't even tell the difference (other than appearance) between an Arsenal and a WASR. You'll find most of the people who bash WASR's don't own one or have ever owned one. The just repeat what other's have said or maybe held one with canted sights once. Everything good you hear about them are from people who own them and shoot them often.

With that said, if somebody put an Arsenal and a WASR in front of me and told me to pick one, free of charge, you bet I'd take the Arsenal. But until that happens, my WASR has ran fine and has been very reliable.

Doesn't US Palm make AKs?

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    Doesn't US Palm make AKs?
    I think they just make grips and other bling, but no 7.62x39 AK-47 rifles.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'm looking to get an AK-47 one of these days also. 7.62x39, stock, bayonet lug, wanna be able to take it out of the box and it run without me having to be a gunsmith. Oh yeah I don't want to spend a lot of money.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links