M16 Variant Suggestions

M16 Variant Suggestions

This is a discussion on M16 Variant Suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking at picking up a "tactical" type rifle. Considering an M16 variant. Something like an M4, H&K416. I would like to have something that has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M16 Variant Suggestions

M16 Variant Suggestions

Looking at picking up a "tactical" type rifle. Considering an M16 variant. Something like an M4, H&K416.

I would like to have something that has multiple rails to mount a light & laser. Would probably also mount a low power scope or other optics.

I'm a civilian, and recognize that, and don't need to pretend I'm off fighting bad guys. Want something fun, reliable and that I could possibly use in some 3 gun matches & the like (just for fun) if I ever decided to. Probably need to stay around the $1K mark or below - If not possible I'll hold off and save up more.

Any input/suggestions is appreciated!
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

My first choice for what you described for your needs would be the Colt 6920,just a little over your grand price range,but you can build a good gun for that price.Check Brownells,BCM plenty of choices nowaday's.
    RockStrongo likes this.

VIP Member
    Colt may be your best option. The HK is 5-6K so that is out. There are several places that have AR's in that price range.

CMMG is also good.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

S&W has several variants for good prices. I believe they have a couple of basic models with non-chrome lined barrels that run around $700. For made to order options maybe an established company that produces AR-15 variants (i.e. Rock River). For all around, my preference is something with a 16" heavy barrel and chrome lined (stiffer at the forearm area and can absorb more heat).

In addition to accessories/mags/spare parts, if you want optics like an Eotech and a magnifier, you will approach the $2K mark.

Remember though, the more stuff you add on, the heavier it will weigh. I have two uppers, each set up differently (one stripped down to be light, and another with a heavy barrel and optics). You could consider just getting a basic rifle (like the S&W) if you want to start shooting one right away and then add a decked out upper set up later (or get another rifle).
    Last edited by jasgo; February 28th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

I have a Spikes Tactical with solid specs that was $800 (I think the same rifle now runs $850) for the no-frills model, and the Palmetto State Armory rifles look to have pretty good specs and are in a similar price range. Definitely can't go wrong with a Colt, but it will run above your $1k target if you start modifying it.

RKM
    With a budget of $1000, you can forget the HK416.

Depending on what your usage of this rifle is, I'd recommend different options. If you're planning on using the rifle for HD, hard use and training, or some kind of duty use (I realized you said you're a civilian), I'd agree with others who said Colt. You can find BCM's at around the $1k range. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an M&P15X or M&P15T either. S&W also have a VTAC version too. Some consider the M&P15's borderline "OK" rifles, but that's what I have an like it. A basic Colt with be around $950-1000.

Now, if you're planning to use you rifle MAINLY for fun, I would DEFINITELY recommend the M&P15 Sport. This rifle gets a LOT of love from normal everyday guys who just like shooting their AR's. These guys aren't using them hard or using them as serious defensive rifles. It's called the "Sport" for a reason, because it's a recreational rifle that will fit probably 90% of peoples needs. No dust cover, no forward assist. You really don't need those parts. Nice to have, but not TOTALLY necessary. You can find the M&P15 Sport priced very well, sometimes under $600!. And any AR accessories fit it, just as any other AR15.

For optics, same thing. Serious use? Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech etc. For for recreational use, or even HD, I'd say Primary Arms makes a fantastic budget optic. I've used a few sub $100 red-dots, and they all sucks, EXCEPT Primary Arms. It's no Aimpoint, but it will most likely fit your needs. Aimpoints are very expensive, and if you think you need that kind of quality, by all means, go for it!

These are just my opinions, but I'd like to think they're fairly reasonable. I understand why some guys want or NEED the higher end AR's. There IS a difference. But on the other hand, I understand that the everyday normal guy will get by JUST fine with a Bushmaster, DPMS or M&P15 Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I have a Spikes Tactical with solid specs that was $800 (I think the same rifle now runs $850) for the no-frills model, and the Palmetto State Armory rifles look to have pretty good specs and are in a similar price range. Definitely can't go wrong with a Colt, but it will run above your $1k target if you start modifying it.
    I too have a spikes mid length that I had them do a lot of work to. I have held a lot of different models. Bcm, dpms, colt, etc. The spikes is EVERY not as good a rifle quality and performance. For the price and all mil spec you can't beat them. Can't speak for palmetto

VIP Member
    Look at CDNN. They usually have a bunch of ARs at good prices. They are hit or miss sometimes so don't just settle if they don't have what you want.

Or this:

Colt SP 6920MP M4 16" Magpul MOE (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks for the input fellas! I knew the HK416 was out of reach. Just an idea.

The Colt 6940 looks decent and comes with a 4 rail set up. I have some work to do looking into the suggestions.

NRA Lifer

I will second the suggestion of a Colt 6920 or 6940 for the money you are willing to spend. I have a 6920 that I picked up two years ago, and I have been very satisfied with it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt and they always seem to hold their value well. That being said, the other suggestions for the M&P and Spikes would be very tempting for their price points. Everyone seems to review them highly and are quite pleased with them.

sgb
    atctimmy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Trying to compare the following:

1) S&W Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical
    2) Spikes Tactical ST 15 16" M4 LE Carbine w/7"S.A.R.
    3) Spikes Tactical ST 15 16" M4 LE Carbine w/9"S.A.R.
    4) Colt LE6940
    5) Colt LE6940P
    6) Colt LE6920SOCOM

One of the obvious differences is the barrel twist on the S&W.

I can't really find the differences in the three Colt models. The LE6940 & LE6920SOCOM has Direct Gas System, Locking Bolt and the LE6940P has Articulating Link Piston System, Locking Bolt.
    I can visually see that the 6920 has a different stock.

These all look like they come with a 4 rail set up. Not sure what the length is on the others, but Spikes offers various length rails (7" - 13.2'). I'm not sure what the advantage/disadvantage is of different length.

NRA Lifer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    Trying to compare the following:

1) S&W Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical
    2) Spikes Tactical ST 15 16" M4 LE Carbine w/7"S.A.R.
    3) Spikes Tactical ST 15 16" M4 LE Carbine w/9"S.A.R.
    4) Colt LE6940
    5) Colt LE6940P
    6) Colt LE6920SOCOM

One of the obvious differences is the barrel twist on the S&W.

I can't really find the differences in the three Colt models. The LE6940 & LE6920SOCOM has Direct Gas System, Locking Bolt and the LE6940P has Articulating Link Piston System, Locking Bolt.
    I can visually see that the 6920 has a different stock.

These all look like they come with a 4 rail set up. Not sure what the length is on the others, but Spikes offers various length rails (7" - 13.2'). I'm not sure what the advantage/disadvantage is of different length.
    Any of these would be great but I don't like the front sight/gas block on the 6940. I prefer the 6920 (as do most folks) with the standard front sight post. If you want a quad rail you can always add one later. Mid west sells a nice one for around $110 and it's easy to put on.

Just try to find a great price on any of these rifles and you will be happy. I really like Mag Pul products so look hard at the 6920MP. I think it's the bomb.

Have you looked at CDNN and Buds yet?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Another Spike's Tactical fan here this is what I chose.

ST-15 16 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $849.95 : Spikes Tactical

I guess I'll add the Bushmaster quad rail patrolman in the mix as well.

NRA Lifer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links