Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

This is a discussion on Best Home defense Gun (opinions) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The best all around weapon you can own is a shotgun. Put birdshot in it and its a varmint gun, put buckshot in it and ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

The best all around weapon you can own is a shotgun. Put birdshot in it and its a varmint gun, put buckshot in it and you're set for badguys or decent sized animals, put a slug in it and you've got a .73 caliber rifle.

For home defense there is no better choice. Period.
    The_Outlaw and AZJD1968 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead84 View Post
    For home defense there is no better choice. Period.
    I disagree.

While I would never say that there is a definitive best choice as it's purely speculative and highly subjective, in my mind the best FOR ME is an AR loaded with 30 rounds of 5.56x45mm Hornady TAP or Sierra Match King. (I'm currently running a 16.1" LWRCI M6A3 with Hornady's 60 gr. TAP Urban due to some less than desirable field results and autopsy reports in which the 75 gr. TAP was used. Basically, the 75 gr. TAP was no more effective than M193).

Why?

It has a more than enough capacity to handle multiple attackers, it's very low recoiling which makes powerful, accurate follow up shots a breeze, it's very intimidating with both looks and noise, I've proven its reliability and durability in the toughest of conditions, and most importantly, I can put 5 rounds into COM in just under 2 seconds. Plus, the weapon does not need to be cocked each time a round is fired. (Assuming of course that you are using a regular pump shotgun and not a semi auto).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

WOW! poor guy must be really confused by now. I'm a new member of this forum and so far I love it. I'm no John Wayne by any stretch of the imigination but I love to shoot and have been for nearly 50 years. Have shot many different weapons, some better than others. Won't tell ya what I carry or what i have at home because it doesn't matter. Someone has already touched on it. Here's my two cents as a newcomer:
    Financially, a good reputable handgun will work well as concealed or at home--I prefer a semi-auto only because it holds more rounds, if an inexperience lady, maybe consider a good revolver for now. Go to the range and PRACTICE
    If you can afford another weapon for home defense, you may want to consider a shotgun or AR--MOST WORK WELL. I have shot many many and have never had a misfire from a shotgun. Yea I know, never say never. BOTTOM LINE = PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!
    RichB70 likes this.

My personal preferred all-around gun has changed about a dozen times over the years, as I'm sure it has for many here. I agree that the one you shoot the best and practice with the most will be the one I'd recommend. Currently, my favorite is a Ruger SP101 2.25" .357 Mag. I'm going to the range/gun store this Wednesday though, so who knows? That could change in the blink of an eye. hehehe

If I had to make a generic recommendation for a home defense gun it would be a high capacity pistol and a tactical carbine, such as an AR 15.

That said, you can't really recommend a home defense gun until you know who is going to be shooting it and in what environment.

Any good & reliable defensive 12 gauge shotgun would be my first choice.
    ~The Dude Abides~

I have been looking into getting the Kel-tec KSG. I think the overall length plus 15 rounds of 00 buck would make it a sweet HD gun.
    Badey and accessbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SandWMandP View Post
    I have been looking into getting the Kel-tec KSG. I think the overall length plus 15 rounds of 00 buck would make it a sweet HD gun.
    completely agree! 26" overall length, 15 rounds of 12 ga. it is a little pricey, but its next on my list to buy.

What Jon said with either a good light attached or close by.

VIP Member
    I suggest a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
    The_Outlaw and l1a1 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I suggest a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
    I like that. You might be interested in this also:Guns (not phasers) in Star Trek

Most of the people commenting on this are assuming that you can stay calm and focussed in a very stressful dangerous and potentially life threatening situation. Being comfortable and knowing how to use whatever weapon you choose is most important. No one can really know how they will react until it happens to them. The AR's would be great if your a military or very well trained person. But a 12 gauge with good personal defense rounds and a good pistol with a high capacity mag is never a bad idea. Plus with an AR u have to be on point to hit your target. A good shotgun round u just gotta point in that general area. Plus there are very few things more intimidating than the sound of a pump shotgun!!! That right there will make people run right there. Plus I wanna know that if somethin happens to me or I'm not home, my girlfriend doesn't have to be super accurate to hit a potential threat. Personally when I hear somethin messing around my house I take a look with a Remington 870 express with PDX rounds loaded up and a ruger Sr9c with a 17 round clip in my waist for backup. And as I'm looking around my girl waits with a 20 gauge and .38 special.
    The_Outlaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    A good shotgun round u just gotta point in that general area.
    No. At close range, you still need to aim a shotgun.

OP - Your question is too general. I will, however, give you a general answer for home defense:

If you need to move inside your home, I recommend a handgun. This leaves a hand free for other tasks - calling 911 on the phone, light switches, door knobs, grabbing other members of your family, flashlight, etc. Hard to do those things with a long gun in your hands.

If all you are concerned about is defending the door into your safe room while you wait for the police to show up, then I would recommend a shotgun. You do not need a tactical shotgun with a 20 round mag, nor a rifle with a 30 round mag for that role. The BG(s) are in a death funnel in your doorway, and can only come in one at a time. When you blast the first one with the shotgun, I seriously doubt his buddies are going to climb over his bloody body to try to continue to come after you. A regular pump shotgun with 4-6 shell capacity is really all you need. Heck, even a double will do.

As far as the rate of fire of a pump vs a semi auto shotgun - running the slide on a pump has the effect of bringing the muzzle back down onto target. There is little practical difference in the rate of aimed fire with a pump vs a semi auto. Heck, I was even able to hit the same clay bird twice in the air (thought I had missed it the first time) with my plain-jane 870 pump. Managed to beat the guys with the expensive doubles that day...

Of course, a semi-auto will recoil less, but I prefer the pump. Less costly, too.

ETA - If you live in a state where suppressors are legal, then using a suppressed rifle for home defense makes some sense. Less chance of permanent hearing damage if you need to use it.
    l1a1 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Most of the people commenting on this are assuming that you can stay calm and focussed in a very stressful dangerous and potentially life threatening situation. Being comfortable and knowing how to use whatever weapon you choose is most important. No one can really know how they will react until it happens to them. The AR's would be great if your a military or very well trained person. But a 12 gauge with good personal defense rounds and a good pistol with a high capacity mag is never a bad idea. Plus with an AR u have to be on point to hit your target. A good shotgun round u just gotta point in that general area. Plus there are very few things more intimidating than the sound of a pump shotgun!!! That right there will make people run right there. Plus I wanna know that if somethin happens to me or I'm not home, my girlfriend doesn't have to be super accurate to hit a potential threat. Personally when I hear somethin messing around my house I take a look with a Remington 870 express with PDX rounds loaded up and a ruger Sr9c with a 17 round clip in my waist for backup. And as I'm looking around my girl waits with a 20 gauge and .38 special.
    A classic internet commando canard right there.
    AZ Hawk likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Bad tactics also. Leaving her behind and a gun fight starts who knows if the rounds will penetrate the walls and hit her.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links