Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

This is a discussion on Best Home defense Gun (opinions) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What I was saying is a shotgun round has spread...unless you are using slugs. It a lot easier to hit someone with a shotgun than ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

What I was saying is a shotgun round has spread...unless you are using slugs. It a lot easier to hit someone with a shotgun than a Damn 5.56 round if you are in a stressful situation. And as for "atctimmy" I'm not real sure what ur insinuating??? And as far as leaving my girl in our room on the top floor while I go downstairs, not sure how u feel that is wrong...no matter where she is in the house a stray bullet is dangerous. And personally I would rather her not be with me when a gun is being fired at me, what if a bullet misses me and and hits her? And she knows to shoot anything that walks through our bedroom door unless I identify myself. Obviously ya'll think way different about ur loved ones than I do...i prefer then as far away from the danger as possible.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    What I was saying is a shotgun round has spread...unless you are using slugs. It a lot easier to hit someone with a shotgun than a Damn 5.56 round if you are in a stressful situation.
    What range are you talking here? Sounds like inside the house. Unless you live in a mansion, you aren't going to be getting much spread on a shotty.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The rounds I use have about a 1ft spread 10-15 feet away. I'm not trying to say there is no aiming involved but you are less likely to miss with a shotgun with multiple projectiles coming out than a single rifle round.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Here's my opinion based on what I think your'e asking for;

Best HD shotgun: Remington 870
    Best HD AR: Any battle quality CQB mid-length with a barrel that is greater than 10.5" and less than or equal to 16" that is equipped with a red dot scope.
    Best back yard plinker: Ruger 10/22 hands down.
    Best pistol: Who knows? Too many variations...suitability is contingent upon desired application.
    Last edited by DefConGun; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

To clarify things a little. Lets say the most reliable semi-auto rifle, the most accurate concealable handgun, and the best home defense shotgun. The problem is I would like to have one of each that is the most reliable accurate and also cheap to practice with. So if everyone can give me one of each from their own personal preferences/experiences that would be awesome. Also what is your opinions on 22lr conversions for say ARs and pistols and is it actual good practice for the gun or is it not similar enough recoils etc. for it to be worth it. I know its broad but any input is appreciated.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

VIP Member
    The rounds I use have about a 1ft spread 10-15 feet away. I'm not trying to say there is no aiming involved but you are less likely to miss with a shotgun with multiple projectiles coming out than a single rifle round.
    Sir, respectfully, 10- 15 feet is 5 yards or less. Bird shot is hitting in about a two inch pattern at that range. There isn't even room for all of the shot to have left the wad yet and there is not a chance on Earth that you are getting 1 foot patterns at 10 feet.

I respectfully suggest you go to the range with a tape measure and re-test your pattern.

ETA: Oh, and by the way, bird shot is for birds. Buckshot is for large animals (like people).

At 15 yards/45 feet I get softball sized patterns from my 12 gauge HD barrel. At 25 yards (more than the length of my entire house) I get paper plate sized patterns. In other words, you still need to aim a shotgun.
    suntzu, 10thmtn, l1a1 and 1 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Plus One to the 10/22 for plinking. Fun and cheap.
    l1a1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

You Must AIM

At personal defense range (in the house) you must aim a shotgun.

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I disagree.

While I would never say that there is a definitive best choice as it's purely speculative and highly subjective, in my mind the best FOR ME is an AR loaded with 30 rounds of 5.56x45mm Hornady TAP or Sierra Match King. (I'm currently running a 16.1" LWRCI M6A3 with Hornady's 60 gr. TAP Urban due to some less than desirable field results and autopsy reports in which the 75 gr. TAP was used. Basically, the 75 gr. TAP was no more effective than M193).

Why?

It has a more than enough capacity to handle multiple attackers, it's very low recoiling which makes powerful, accurate follow up shots a breeze, it's very intimidating with both looks and noise, I've proven its reliability and durability in the toughest of conditions, and most importantly, I can put 5 rounds into COM in just under 2 seconds. Plus, the weapon does not need to be cocked each time a round is fired. (Assuming of course that you are using a regular pump shotgun and not a semi auto).

-I would never in my life recommend anyone wielding an assault rifle inside a home unless they live alone in the middle of nowhere. For obvious reasons

-You won't need 30 rounds if you blow a hole in the first badguy the size of a softball. When you can see right through the guy in front of you, you tend to change your mind about wanting to attack someone.

-It will most likely be dark, and unless the badguy got the jump on you, or you're an idiot and give yourself away the badguy will have no idea where you are. And he'll have no idea what you have, so what it looks like doesn't matter at all. Shotgun wins in the "noise" department hands down. Noise and looks should be at the very bottom of the list of anyone being serious about looking for a home defense weapon. Life is not a movie. If there is more than 1 attacker they're most likely going to flee once their homie hits the dirt.

-1 well placed 00 buck in the chest will stop an attack. Can't say the same for 5.56 unless you get a headshot. I am personally going to dump 5-7 rounds center mass if I'm stuck with 5.56, so yeah, you'll need 30 rounds. 5.56 is not a 1 shot, one kill platform. A 12 gauge shotgun certainly is.

-Anyone who is decently experienced with a shotgun can fire very quick follow up shots and manage recoil very well. A shotgun is not harder to shoot than an AR.

All of that said, something is always better than nothing, and if an AR is the best platform for you, then use it. I am not trying to convert you. I've put probably 10,000+ rounds downrange from the M16 platform, it is a good weapon, but it is purpose built, it is not a weapon designed to be "all around" good. A shotgun is. And if you bring reliability into the equation you simply cannot beat the simplicity and reliability of big name designed pump action shotguns.

To argue that an AR platform is a better all around weapon or a better home defense weapon is a pretty foolish stance IMO. If it works for you, great, but there is not a single thing that an AR does better than a shotgun besides being able to put lead downrange accurately at medium ranges. Which is a non-factor for home defense.

What I was saying is a shotgun round has spread...unless you are using slugs. It a lot easier to hit someone with a shotgun than a Damn 5.56 round if you are in a stressful situation.
    This is incorrect. Please do not spread misinformation. Go get some good quality buckshot and take aim at 7-10 yards and see for yourself. A shotgun in close quarters needs to be aimed just as accuately as a pistol or rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead84 View Post
    -1 well placed 00 buck in the chest will stop an attack. Can't say the same for 5.56 unless you get a headshot. I am personally going to dump 5-7 rounds center mass if I'm stuck with 5.56, so yeah, you'll need 30 rounds. 5.56 is not a 1 shot, one kill platform. A 12 gauge shotgun certainly is.

-Anyone who is decently experienced with a shotgun can fire very quick follow up shots and manage recoil very well. A shotgun is not harder to shoot than an AR.
    One thing to remember is that we non military home defense types have access to much better ammunition than you did in the military. We don't have to shoot the green tips. TAP and the larger OTM ammo has been shown to be very effective in stopping threats. I'm not discounting a good shotgun, rather I'm just saying that an AR is very effective for HD.

In the end we agree that you gotta go with what's best for you. For many that's an AR.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Best defence weapon. One you can hit your target with and goes bang everytime you pull the trigger. Backyard fun anything in 22 caliber. I have the ruger 22/45 and my son has a dedicated 22 ar-15. Love those guns for all around plinking

Rotorhead84, This isn't directed at you, just generally toward those that say the same thing you insinuated about the AR not being a good choice indoors, whether in the suburbs or apartments, etc. It makes a great choice. Now, just like you pointed out hammer2213 is spreading misinformation, essentially you are doing the same thing. I don't fault you for this as it's as common a misconception as is the shotgun's 2 foot patter at 10 feet, but when it comes up, we need to do our best to get the facts out there so others don't fall victim to bad information.

An AR is an excellent choice and using OTM loads like 75gr TAP or Mk263 you will have slightly LESS chance of overpenetration than you will hollow point 9mm, 45 or buckshot for example, I'm not saying it won't happen, it's just not like many assume. We all need to research these types of things when deciding. Of course bonded and FMJ loads are not the best for indoor use, but OTM loads are slightly better than any duty load for handguns or shotguns when it comes to overpenetration.

I'm not going to post a link for the multiple studies by the world's formost experts like Dr Gary Roberts (DocGKR on m4carbine.net and ar15.com plus other forums) and Dr Martin Fackler every week when someone that understandably has been fed some bad info on the subject comes and spreads that wrong info, but a very quick Google search will give days worth of reading proving that point. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but this has been proven wrong time and time again.

This is one of the reasons most PDs have switched from subguns like MP5's to ARs, more effective on target and LESS chance of overpenetration (I own both and have trained extensively on both, so I'm not just speaking out of the other end here).

One shot stops are a myth, I personally know a guy that literally blew the heart out of a guy with buckshot and still got shot a couple times. It took little time for him to die, but even with a destroyed heart he had 20 to 30 seconds of fight left.

Not sure of the gunfights anyone here has been in (I don't mean that in a sarcastic way), but 10 seconds is an eternity and a ton of stuff can go wrong in that few seconds, especially if you are foolish enough to believe ANY WEAPON will consistently drop guys with one shot. Sure, it may if they're standing in line, minding their own business at the convenience store, but it is many, many times harder to put down a determined attacker that is likely on meth or some other hard drug.

Only in the movies can you count on one shot stops, in real life it will never go as planned and hopefully all of us are training for multiple shots and failure to stop drills.

This post was not meant to suggest one is a better choice than another, that can ONLY be decided by the one choosing the weapon as their training will be everything here and any weapon in a duty grade caliber is a good choice. It was meant to point out the misinformation between weapons and those truths MUST be understood before ruling something out or choosing it over another.

Again, I don't mean this to sound like I'm jumping on anyone, I just took a post and am replying to those general thought s held by many about the AR and shotgun alike.
    suntzu, Cuda66, AZ Hawk and 4 others like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks Jon. Saved me bunch of writing.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    To the OP: I think that the .22 LR conversion for 1911 style pistols is a really good investment. My wife has a Springfield EMP in 9mm, and she was shooting all over the target. I put the .22lr conversion on one of my Commander sized 1911s and had her put about 100 rounds thru it--her shooting steadied down, and was shooting really nice groups. Then switched her back to her EMP--her next 4 or 5 mags all had nice groups--then finished with another 100 rds thru the .22LR conversion.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links