Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

This is a discussion on Best Home defense Gun (opinions) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If anyone does break in, chances are strongest that you'll be responding with a handgun, just because that's the first thing you're likely to get ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Best Home defense Gun (opinions)

If anyone does break in, chances are strongest that you'll be responding with a handgun, just because that's the first thing you're likely to get to. Hunker down in a bedroom waiting for either the cops to show up or the intruder to come through the door? I'd probably want a shotgun for that, or an AR. Either would be good for that particular role. Can't go wrong with a 9mm Glock, M&P, or xD (whichever size does it for you in all of those). I use a SIG P229 in .40, which is good since muzzle-flip is reduced in the heavier frame of that gun. For the HD shotgun I have a Mossberg 500A Persuader (black plastic furniture, 18.5" barrel), and I don't feel the need to get any other shotgun for that purpose. I have a Spikes AR with an Aimpoint and USGI BUIS for the HD AR. Again, it's solid and I wouldn't need anything else for its role either. Bottom line though, whatever you use, make sure it's something you can hit the target with. Anything you're no good with is a terrible choice, no matter how good its specs are.

2. Remove Ads

I have my PX 4 .45 near to hand, my AR almost as close by, and the 500 Persuader downstairs. The BG will be welcomed with at least one of the aforementioned.

So pretty much what i gathered from all this is get good with what I have especially what is always closest at hand. All arguments aside, I was always taught (by former navy seal) to be the best with what you feel the most comfortable with which for me would be my glock. but I will make sure to keep the mossberg close at hand and the ak nt too far from that. Yea sorry I prefer the ak over the ar, 7.62x39 seems to me to have a lot more stopping power and with minor upgrades is just as accurate. Although theres a nice stag thats been taunting me.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Personally, I feel pretty confident with my old Savage-Fox Model B Side by Side in 20 gauge. Barrel was shortened to 20" and creates a real "nasty" pattern with #3 buck at typical HD ranges.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    So pretty much what i gathered from all this is get good with what I have especially what is always closest at hand. All arguments aside, I was always taught (by former navy seal) to be the best with what you feel the most comfortable with which for me would be my glock. but I will make sure to keep the mossberg close at hand and the ak nt too far from that. Yea sorry I prefer the ak over the ar, 7.62x39 seems to me to have a lot more stopping power and with minor upgrades is just as accurate. Although theres a nice stag thats been taunting me.
    I agree with the former Navy SEAL you speak of. Though, I wouldn't "doubt" the stopping power of a proper 5.56 round. The difference between 5.56 and x39 is probably negligible if barriers aren't involved. I'd probably give x39 the edge over all, with a proper bullet. But 5.56 is NO slouch.

When it comes to semi autos for home defense, I would keep in mind that the people in this forum may not be the ones home at the time to protect the family. Something simple like a double action revolver would be easy to use for anyone in the household. I personally use a .41 mag ruger redhawk with a remington 870 with a 6 round tube as a backup. Although I recommend taking good care of and practicing with a weapon, a revolver can be left alone for years and still function just fine when you need it.

Ive said it before, but it's a 10.5" or 14.5" AR for me. I have a couple shotguns, but they just don't handle as well for me. Here's a size comparison of the 14.5" AR and the 18" Benelli M4. It needs a collapsible stock soon and the extended mag.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

S & w Govenor

Well, I like my new S &W Govenor for the house. Keep it loaded with a couple of .410 personal defense shotgun shells followed by colt .45.

Also great snake gun.

What's the kick like on those? I've never shot one.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I'm not sayin' never, but the longest shot I could possible make in my home would be 78 feet...if my garage door was open and I was standing on the den hearth...and we are talking about home defense, right? So, whatever fighting caliber you shoot well should do the trick...don't like .357's inside w/o hearing protection...have a good oldfashioned steel framed 9mm on the nightstand, a good light and a mossberg 12 gauge loaded in the corner...NO LITTLE ONES PRESENT. Wife is very good with her .40 24/7 on the other side...she will operate coms and defend her side of the bedroom and I will keep anyone from coming through the choke point they would have to come through to get to us...they will know I'm there somewhere, but will not know where...if they are still there and know I know they're there, I operate on the assumption they are there to do harm to me and/or my wife, whom I love very much...after that, may the best man win.
    Last edited by cthruit; March 12th, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo

Not much worse than a .38 revolver. Pretty loud and turns heads at the range

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrtex View Post
    Well, I like my new S &W Govenor for the house. Keep it loaded with a couple of .410 personal defense shotgun shells followed by colt .45.

Also great snake gun.
    Well if your door ever gets kicked in by snakes you'll be just fine.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well if your door ever gets kicked in by snakes you'll be just fine.
    They've taken over planes. Anything is possible.

Here you go! Point this at a bad guy and he will remember he has to be somewhere else.

Rigrat and scgunlover1 like this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    590a1 for me.
    This is what I chose due to it's better, IMHO, construction and safety location.
    marcclarke likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links