AK-47 on NPR

This is a discussion on AK-47 on NPR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know it's been said that NPR is liberal radio. I don't agree with that assessment and find many of the non-political stories to be ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Sig35seven
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Cory1022

Thread: AK-47 on NPR

AK-47 on NPR

I know it's been said that NPR is liberal radio. I don't agree with that assessment and find many of the non-political stories to be very interesting. This week they did a story about the history of the AK-47 and why Russia is making a new updated design. It was a very positive story about one of the most historic guns in history.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

The thing about NPR is that you need to know when to engage the "bias detectors"... but I agree, a lot of their stories, possibly the majority, have no political or cultural slant.
    Nonetheless, a lot of them do.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

By positive do you just mean they stuck to the facts? In a story such as this it should be neither positive or negative.

Michael

NPR stories are often in depth & interesting. The NPR commentators are bias, to the point that the morning traffic is the fault of the NRA.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I used to listen to them years ago, I thought they were balanced in their coverage. I don't think that way anymore, especially since they fired Juan Williams few years back.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

They once had a good model, but I haven't listened recently, but I don't listen to much anymore. Maybe I'll retry.

In some ways I could care less about a specific media's bias. However, I don't believe our taxes should be paying for any media including NPR or PBS. Then they can say anything they desire. Whenever the issue comes up people start screaming "Big Bird!" I think he can support himself, especially with all stuff in ToysRus.

They also did a bit on Gaston Glock a few weeks back, however I did not catch it. I will have to try to find both of these on their site to listen to. Thanks.

I actually listened to them when I was in Jr High, classical music and they read The Hobbit at night when I was going to bed. The news in the morning helped me in Social Studies. My local doesn't play music much now, and I read myself to sleep.

Now let us see what NPR does when we start talking about owning one.
    They played a major role in trying to convince the world we were all running around with full auto AK47 a few years back.
    Doing a story on the AK47 is not the same as the .
    Oh I forgot we suppose to forget the 1000's of anti gun owner specials they have done. Remember NPR when the Brady bill came around?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Now let us see what NPR does when we start talking about owning one.
    They played a major role in trying to convince the world we were all running around with full auto AK47 a few years back.
    Doing a story on the AK47 is not the same as the .
    Oh I forgot we suppose to forget the 1000's of anti gun owner specials they have done. Remember NPR when the Brady bill came around?
    The Brady Bill that Ronald Reagan was supporting? Yes, I remember.

I take the good from NPR and,as I said, change the station when the political stuff comes on. I hear more good quality,funny, entertaining stuff on NPR than anywhere else. I find it a shame to turn your back on such a vast wealth of good subject matter but I'm sure there are those that hear only what they interpret to be bad.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I listen to NPR pretty much exclusively and have never found this to be the case. I listen to it in the car on my way to work, at work, and on my way home from work and I have never heard any of the commentators say anything negative about the NRA. Now days it seems that people tend to think that any reporting that doesn't slant to whichever side they lean is bias to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    NPR stories are often in depth & interesting. The NPR commentators are bias, to the point that the morning traffic is the fault of the NRA.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The Brady Bill that Ronald Reagan was supporting? Yes, I remember.
    I love how everyone tends to forget that when talking about Mr. Conservative Savior :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links