moving rear flip up sight forward on m4 carbine

This is a discussion on moving rear flip up sight forward on m4 carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a new Colt sp 6920 magpul edition. With the rear flip up sight I like the smallest ring possible when I find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: moving rear flip up sight forward on m4 carbine

I just got a new Colt sp 6920 magpul edition. With the rear flip up sight I like the smallest ring possible when I find my sight picture, so I moved the sight rear sight to the front of the rail. As far as I know it should be fine, but I just wanted a confirmation of that. With the sights being closer I just wanted a second opinion make sure that it's not going to throw off my aim in a way that I can't adjust. I know I might have to re-zero it next time I go to the range.
    On another note I found that it shoots amazingly and I am incredibly happy with the rifle.

Well, you're trading off the smaller apparent size of the aperture for a much-shortened sight radius - so I doubt your accuracy will show any improvement. I don't know if the front and rear sights are the exact same height over the bore in a 6920, but if they aren't, you can handle any elevation change via the front sight.
    archie72490 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

thanks thats what i was looking for. the height is the same, and I know I might not get an improvement, but It is just a comfort thing until I get my red dot. I just wanted the confirmation that I wasn't doing something stupid that would dramatically lower the accuracy.

VIP Member
    Stupid? I don't know if I would say it's stupid but it is definitely NOT going to make you more accurate. The longer the sight radius the better, for accurate shooting that is.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Move the rear sight back to the rear, put your nose to the charging handle, and look through the rear sight. It should be fuzzy and almost disappear. Focus on the front sight post and your eye will automagically center the post in the rear aperture (funny how the eye works...).

Save the front of the rail on your upper for your red dot, EOTech, or other optic...

Good luck and have fun!

~Dan

0125121715.jpg

I mounted mine as far as possible, My only problem is my gas block sits lower than the flat top on my upper so I have to raise my elevation on the front site all the way up and thats sighting in @ 25 meters prone W/rest and I still hit high so I have to aim significantly low. Kind of irritating
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

sgb
    The MAGPUL BUIS front sight is meant to be used on a free float rail NOT the gas block.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The MAGPUL BUIS front sight is meant to be used on a free float rail NOT the gas block.
    What about w/Rail spacer? Cant really swing a free float right now.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

VIP Member
    I would check LaRue and GG&G for a spacer. I think that one of the issues with putting the front sight on the gas block is that it cannot take the heat generated.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

By shortening the sight radius you minimize the accuracy of the rifle. IMHO I would move it back and train with it like that. It will give you tighter groups in the long run. But to each his own. If it works for you and you are not worried about 100yr shots and only cqb then you should be fine.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by FPW823 View Post
    Yankee Hill Gas Block Riser - Yankee Hill Gas Block Riser - Primary Arms

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by FPW823 View Post
    The Magpul BUIS front sight is plastic...not a good thing to have sitting on top of a HOT gas block.

I believe the manufacturer even states this in their product literature...

Lead Moderator
    As stated , the magpul front sight may melt or deform on the gas block. Probably beter to but a gas lock front sight that is metal for this application.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

On the rear sight the 2 different apertures are meant for different ranges,big hole is meant for 0 -200 yds and small hole is meant for 200 -500 IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thank You sgb I now have one on order.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links