best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

This is a discussion on best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BaconHunter Just a small correction, .308 and 7.62mmx51 NATO are very close but not quite the same. Check Wikipedia but I believe ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 95
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

  1. #31
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    Just a small correction, .308 and 7.62mmx51 NATO are very close but not quite the same. Check Wikipedia but I believe a 7.62mmx51 NATO chamber can handle .308 Win, but not necessarily the other way around. If you go the .308 route, just make sure the manufacturer claims you can fire both types in their gun. Bulk NATO rounds can be a real money saver, but not if they damage your gun because you happened to get a gun that can't handle the subtle difference.

    You did say you wanted a rifle, but for deer and zombies perhaps a shotgun might be a better choice, if there isn't already one in your collection.
    It's the other way around. The .308 can handle 7.62X51 with no problem. They are sooo close though as to be interchangeable. IF, and that's a big IF, there were any problems it would be in a weapon chambered for 7.62X51 firing a .308 round. It's a non-problem that we in the civilian market don't have to worry about.
    It's not like a 5.56 that is hotter than .223.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Senior Member Array joleary223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,057
    Just to muddy the water more, you might want to check out 300 blackout. Seems to be a nice alternative to a full blown 308.
    300 will most likely be my next AR build.
    300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK)
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

    FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,827
    OP - It's going to be difficult for anyone other than you to judge felt recoil, as there are so many variables, and what one person might view as "mild" might feel "wild" to another.

    If you are going to hunt with it, then as others suggested, the first step is going to be to check your local laws. In some areas, you can only hunt deer with a shotgun, so go figure.

    Bottom line is that you can defend yourself quite well with a "hunting" long gun - whatever that happens to be.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

  5. #34
    Member Array boatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - It's going to be difficult for anyone other than you to judge felt recoil, as there are so many variables, and what one person might view as "mild" might feel "wild" to another.

    If you are going to hunt with it, then as others suggested, the first step is going to be to check your local laws. In some areas, you can only hunt deer with a shotgun, so go figure.

    Bottom line is that you can defend yourself quite well with a "hunting" long gun - whatever that happens to be.
    Yes, in MA, only with shotgun and slugs, too densely populated and i guess they don't want high velocity. In VT I think you can use a cruise missle if you have one...(most hunters in NEngland hunt multiple states, so you need least common denominator gun or multiple rifles)

    My bigger question on the rifle is about accuracy. Are there any of these that are considered more accurate than others with same optics (ruger vs. winchester vs. savage, etc)?

  6. #35
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    7,865
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Marlin 336

    Looking at picking up an SKS though...

    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I have both, as well as a Spanish Mauser 7mm.

    To OP.
    If you were going to buy an AR, if you have the $1000-1200 , get an AR10(.308)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Yes, in MA, only with shotgun and slugs, too densely populated and i guess they don't want high velocity. In VT I think you can use a cruise missle if you have one...(most hunters in NEngland hunt multiple states, so you need least common denominator gun or multiple rifles)

    My bigger question on the rifle is about accuracy. Are there any of these that are considered more accurate than others with same optics (ruger vs. winchester vs. savage, etc)?
    When I first responded to this thread I mentioned that you can't have everything in one rifle. There are too many compromises.

    What is going to be the primary function of this gun? Is it going to be a primary hunting gun or are you buying a SHTF rifle that you can also hunt with every now and then?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,106
    I'm really worried about that 'bad nerve'. I don't know if you want to kiss the caliber right up to where it's nearly too painful, or if you want to be well-below whatever threshold you feel is appropriate.

    My calculations show that an ET apocalypse is more likely than a zombie apocalypse, and Hollywood recommends the .308 vs. aliens.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

    Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..


  9. #38
    Member Array boatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

    To OP.
    If you were going to buy an AR, if you have the $1000-1200 , get an AR10(.308)
    Oneshot: Any recommendations on brands at this price. When I started considering ARs, and determined 15 not the right caliber for these purposes, I was looking at a LMT for that kind of money. It seemed like to get a quality AR10 was going to cost 500 more...

    Actctimmy: In reality, hard to say real purpose as while my plans are to get to the outdoors more, life sort of gets in the way...SHTF: while I believe in being prepared, the world is always falling apart. WWI, WW2, Vietnam, Africa, China, gas crisis in late 70s, 18% interest in early 80s, Three mile island, chernobyl, tsunamis etc.

    Truthfully, when push comes to shove, I am going to shoot lots more paper/clay/bottles etc. than zombies or deer. Another reason for inexpensive ammo.

    Maybe AR10 is less expensive than having AR15 AND Savage/Ruger/Marlin.

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Oneshot: Any recommendations on brands at this price. When I started considering ARs, and determined 15 not the right caliber for these purposes, I was looking at a LMT for that kind of money. It seemed like to get a quality AR10 was going to cost 500 more...

    Actctimmy: In reality, hard to say real purpose as while my plans are to get to the outdoors more, life sort of gets in the way...SHTF: while I believe in being prepared, the world is always falling apart. WWI, WW2, Vietnam, Africa, China, gas crisis in late 70s, 18% interest in early 80s, Three mile island, chernobyl, tsunamis etc.

    Truthfully, when push comes to shove, I am going to shoot lots more paper/clay/bottles etc. than zombies or deer. Another reason for inexpensive ammo.

    Maybe AR10 is less expensive than having AR15 AND Savage/Ruger/Marlin.
    OK, I'm getting it. I still think that an AR10 is a bad idea for you. Recoil + cost + cost of ammo is going to break you.

    If your heart is set on something other than the Mini 30 I initially suggested then it's time to look at the AR 15. The AR 15 is a modular design so you can get it in lots of flavors. Also the AR15s are quite a bit less money (and weight) than an AR10.

    OK, thinking about what would serve you well in an AR15 I can think of two calibers. One is our old friend the 7.62X39 and the other is the 6.8SPC (SPC = Special Purpose Cartridge). Both are solid cartridges and will kill deer with no problem. The 7.62X39 hits a little harder up close but isn't that good at long range (greater than 250yds or so) The 6.8SPC hits plenty hard and will be good for zombies out to 7oo or 800 yds ( but not for hunting use at this range).

    So an AR 15 can be had in either of those deer crushing chamberings. Mags for both will be a little more pricey than standard AR mags (because they are not the standard .223). Mag price shouldn't really be that big of a deal though.

    Now for the downside.

    The 7.62X39 is good for hunting out to a max of about 200yds and about 350 for zombies. It has a big hunk of lead at moderate velocity so it loses energy faster than some other rounds. To me it's not that big of a deal because in my whole life I've only shot 1 deer past 150 yds. If you lived in Kansas it would be a different story but in the woods of the NE it's going to be OK.

    The 6.8SPC on the other hand is good for deer out to around 300yds and zombies well past what anyone would rationally need. The biggest detractor is the cost of 6.8SPC ammo. It's expensive and probably more than you want to spend on ammo. It is a great "all arounder" but when I was searching for a similar gun I passed on it because of ammo price. It's just flat out expensive. Other than that it's perfect for you so I felt like I should include it and leave the choice up to you.

    So in summation I will give you my top three recommendations:

    #1 The Mini 30 in 7.62X39. It's still my top choice for you and deserves a LONG HARD look. You may decide on something else but IMO it is tops in price/value/performance. A new Mini 30 can be had for around $700 to $750. Anything higher and you'd be getting ripped off.

    Here is a review of the Mini 30 tactical model (my favorite model):

    Ruger Mini-30 Tactical

    #2 An AR15 in 7.62X39. A good accurate platform in a caliber that will do all you need it to do, and ammo at a good price too.

    #3 An AR15 in 6.8SPC. A great all around gun in a cool do it all cartridge. I really like everything about 6.8SPC except for the price. And as we both know price is pretty important.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 9th, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  11. #40
    Member Array boatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

    OK, thinking about what would serve you well in an AR15 I can think of two calibers. One is our old friend the 7.62X39 and the other is the 6.8SPC (SPC = Special Purpose Cartridge).
    Great. Learned something new here, I had thought AR15 was only 5.56, did not know you could get it in 7.62. Thought 7.62 automatically meant AR10.

    Cost of ammo is critical. As I said, more rounds are going to targets than anything else. If the hurt of the cost of the round is more than the recoil, you don't wind up practicing much! So I agree with your assesment of the 6.8.

    Will look at the Ruger next week when by local store. Really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

  12. #41
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Great. Learned something new here, I had thought AR15 was only 5.56, did not know you could get it in 7.62. Thought 7.62 automatically meant AR10.

    Cost of ammo is critical. As I said, more rounds are going to targets than anything else. If the hurt of the cost of the round is more than the recoil, you don't wind up practicing much! So I agree with your assesment of the 6.8.

    Will look at the Ruger next week when by local store. Really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.
    It's the length that is important. An AR15 can handle the 7.62X39 because it is roughly the same length as a .223. The 7.62X51 (or .308) is much longer so it's needs the AR10

    If ammo price is as important as you say then there is no doubt in my mind that 7.62X39 is the right choice.

    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276739557
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  13. #42
    VIP Member
    Array gunthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    home office
    Posts
    2,355
    The SKS paratroop (16" bbl) is a fun, handy, cheap, durable, reliable, and accurate 7.62X39. If you can find the SKS-M version, AK mags work. Following compliance regulations, they can be accessorized. I use a red dot with see through BUIS for 100-200 yard thin skin stuff. After that I like the AR10. After that I like a 338 bolt gun.

    Norinco Paratrooper SKS : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    1,530
    He could go to an AR in 6.5 Creedmoor, solves recoil and also would be a great hunting cartridge for deer sized game.
    Down side is what I talked about earlier in having a common caliber for an SHTF rifle.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,268
    Honestly--he should perhaps consider a lever action in .30-30., instead of getting into exotic AR calibers like 6,8, 6.5 (Grendel or Creedmore) or .300BO. And while the x39 isn't necessarily exotic, I've personally never met a 7.62x39 AR that was reliable.

    I find .30-30 very mild in recoil, and it has the same effective range as 7.62x39. Also, an nice older Marlin 336 can be had for under $300, and can easily have optics mounted on it.

    Personally, I think that the suggestion of a Mini-30 was the best one yet.
    atctimmy and 10thmtn like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  16. #45
    Member Array rogertc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    200
    I use a 12GA for the Zombies. Got to destroy their heads.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best .308 rifle

,
best .308 rifle for the money
,

best 308 rifle

,
best 308 rifle 2012
,
best 308 rifle for the money
,
best 308 rifles
,
best deer rifle 2012
,

mini 30 review

,
ruger mini 30 review
,
ruger mini 30 tactical review
,
shtf rifle
,
which rifle is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.