best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

This is a discussion on best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was thinking of getting an upper in 300AAC. More to contemplate now....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

Was thinking of getting an upper in 300AAC. More to contemplate now.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    In fact the 300AAC is pretty rare.
    Around here its not. We've got the Remington and Hornady stuff laying everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lots of good suggestions here. I would vote for a good lever gun. Gotta love the 30-30 for a all around great rifle. I have the Marlin 336 and will never be without one.
    For cheap ammo and fun (let's face it... that's what zombie hunting is) I suggest the 7.62x39. The SKS is a great option, or get an AK and a 5-round mag if needed.
    If money for ammo isn't a big problem, S&W have a new upper or complete rifle that will shoot both the 300 blackout and 300 whisper equally well. An upper for a 5.56 AR would be a nice combo - one is going on my short list.
    Product: Model M&P15 - 300 Whisper®
    Product: Model M&P15 300 Whisper® Upper Assembly
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Senior Moderator
    The Smith and Wessom 300 Whisper is a good buy, I've sold several. What I would reccomend though, if one wants to save money, is to buy it in .223 and then go to Model One Sales and get a .300 blackout upper for around 385...basically half that of the S&W's. I've put several of them on AR's and they work just fine.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

AR10 in 7.62x39 or Mini-30 (7.62x39) or AK47. The AR and the Mini 30 would probably be more accurate than the AK47 from what I've read about AK's not being real accurate guns. But the 7.62x39 can do it since they are pushing 6.8SPC for deer hunting now, why not 7.62x39? That's what I would go with. The ammo being easier to come by and less expensive.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Although a .223 can and does kill deer, it's illegal to use on deer in several states. While many will argue that it will work,there is a reason for it being illegal to use....and its called past practices.
    Point well taken and it occurred to me after I posted my post, that it's illegal to hunt deer with a 5.56 in some states. I'm not so quick, however, to accept that the law/s were based on past practices. Its common practice for the law of the land to institute firearm laws where there is no true merit. Unfortunately public opinion/perception is often not grounded in reality and it is these biases that drive lawmakers to make the laws that we have. I'm mostly referring to ARs & AKs and the way they're demonized and as a result we have laws in place because these guns look scary.

I'm not saying the 5.56 round is the end-all & be-all but if I were stranded in a cabin in the mountains and all I had was a 5.56 rifle, don't think I wouldn't take it out and try to take a deer if I could. With the way some talk about it, they wouldn't even take it out of the cabin because there's just no way it would make the kill. Now would I try to take on a kill shot at a great distance that would be difficult for a .308 to accomplish? No, I wouldn't do that but the very fact that there are laws in some places that ban the 5.56 from deer hunting doesn't mean the round is incapable, its more of a reflection of the political climate in that region. The 5.56 has taken deer and will continue to take deer even though there are better alternatives just like the old Hydra-Shocks can still deal out causalities today the same as it has in the past in spite of there being better (read newer or more technologically advanced) ammo being offered today.

Please allow me to reiterate before I close. I'm not saying the 5.56 is the ultimate deer round but if its all you had, you could make it work - that was the point I was trying to vocalize in my last post.
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not saying the 5.56 is the ultimate deer round but if its all you had, you could make it work
    If that was all I had, I would make it work.
    DefConGun and atctimmy like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

atctimmy's question is Post #36 as to the primary purpose for this rifle remains unanswered.

Based on the fact that I'm going to hunt a lot more than I'm going to shoot people, I don't think I have to have a tacticool rifle for this. I'm going to throw out the Savage model 99 for consideration. It's much like the lever action .30-30 mentioned earlier with more capacity. It can be had in a lot of calibers (.243 Win or .250 Savage come to mind with the recoil limitations). If you reload, the price isn't that bad. The .243 is pretty common in my neck of the woods; the .250 Savage, not so much. The model 99 has a 10-round non-removable rotary mag. That's honestly a bit of firepower. If you are forced out on foot in a SHTF situation, you're just a guy with a hunting rifle.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I would suggest 308. But the 6.8spc is looks interesting. The 7.62x39 would be good. Dont forget the lowly mosins cheap guns and ammo. As cost is always a factor for my budget

Deer & zombies, hell yes...but I think you mighta overlooked the potential for a rogue Sasquatch attack tho...
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    but .223 isn't going to cut it for deer.
    You know you could JUST ,,,, plan on shooting the deer twice.

I am a little bit puzzled by the .300 AAC Blackout suggestions. A .223 with good 77 grain ammo is going to kill a deer just as dead as .300 BLK inside of 200 yards. Outside of 200 yards both cartridges are way less than ideal. Outside of niche (tactical) uses, what does an average person gain using .300 BLK over .223?

Just one thought on the title of this thread......I'm SO sick of the whole "zombie" thing. This truly makes gun enthusiasts/collectors/owners look like a bunch of irrational, zealous, paraniod-delusional morons. Please stop with the whole "zombie" thing when trying to talk intelligently about guns.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

To me, zombies just means a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation. Its a part of the vernacular now, when even the CDC puts a zombie preparation guide up on their site.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm going to go with the 7.62x39 also.
    A few weeks ago I might have said 30-30; but since I got my new to me AK, and found it to be plenty accurate, having less recoil than the 30-30, and that follow-up shots are quicker.

The 30-30 is just a bit more powerful.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links