best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

This is a discussion on best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; = + =...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

  1. #76
    Senior Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North of the Line
    Posts
    1,191
    = + =


  2. Remove Ads

  3. #77
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,295
    Don't let anyone fool you a AR will have no problem dropping any size deer.

  4. #78
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I am a little bit puzzled by the .300 AAC Blackout suggestions. A .223 with good 77 grain ammo is going to kill a deer just as dead as .300 BLK inside of 200 yards. Outside of 200 yards both cartridges are way less than ideal. Outside of niche (tactical) uses, what does an average person gain using .300 BLK over .223?
    The problem is that in many states it would be illegal to hunt with a .223/5.56, while a .30 caliber round is allowed.

  5. #79
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The problem is that in many states it would be illegal to hunt with a .223/5.56, while a .30 caliber round is allowed.
    Here the .223 /5.56 is fine for deer. Because of how that round works it does a fine job of kill deer.

  6. #80
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I am a little bit puzzled by the .300 AAC Blackout suggestions. A .223 with good 77 grain ammo is going to kill a deer just as dead as .300 BLK inside of 200 yards. Outside of 200 yards both cartridges are way less than ideal. Outside of niche (tactical) uses, what does an average person gain using .300 BLK over .223?
    ACC .300 Black out is accurate out to 460 yards if you have the right combination of bullet,powder and barrel.

    The .223 will shoot out farther with accuracy but since the bullet is lighter there may be more issues with windage and the energy at distance is debatable. Lets face it most people will not be able to take a shoot at a deer past 350 yards. The ACC .300 will have at least a 110 grain bullet if not something larger as big as 220 grain.

    I shoot 77 grain ( 223 ) at 600 yards, makes a nice group on paper. In winter we shoot the steel target and I can ring it all day. but when I shoot my M1A with a 147 grain SA, 2 hits on the steel we got to have a cease fire and go down and reset the target that I just knocked over. I don't shoot the ACC .300 at 600 yards ( you would have to aim at the stars since the bullet would arc so much).

    The ACC .300 Blackout is great for Coyote hunts, wild boar and it is cheap to reload, not much powder and many bullet choices.

  7. #81
    VIP Member Array aus71383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,543
    I'd pick my FAL, personally. But I have ARs too. Best is to get a few of everything....

    Austin

  8. #82
    Member Array Roon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    ACC .300 Black out is accurate out to 460 yards if you have the right combination of bullet,powder and barrel.

    The .223 will shoot out farther with accuracy but since the bullet is lighter there may be more issues with windage and the energy at distance is debatable. Lets face it most people will not be able to take a shoot at a deer past 350 yards. The ACC .300 will have at least a 110 grain bullet if not something larger as big as 220 grain.

    I shoot 77 grain ( 223 ) at 600 yards, makes a nice group on paper. In winter we shoot the steel target and I can ring it all day. but when I shoot my M1A with a 147 grain SA, 2 hits on the steel we got to have a cease fire and go down and reset the target that I just knocked over. I don't shoot the ACC .300 at 600 yards ( you would have to aim at the stars since the bullet would arc so much).

    The ACC .300 Blackout is great for Coyote hunts, wild boar and it is cheap to reload, not much powder and many bullet choices.
    The drop on .300 BLK is pretty significant once you get out beyond 200 yards. Perhaps if you aim at the tree tops you might hit a target beyond 450 yards.

  9. #83
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,379

    best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

    Indeed. Aim for the tree tops on the sub sonic rounds 220 gr 920fps

    125 gr super sonics just like 7.62x 39 from an ak. Drop is not so bad
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

  10. #84
    Member Array Roon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Indeed. Aim for the tree tops on the sub sonic rounds 220 gr 920fps

    125 gr super sonics just like 7.62x 39 from an ak. Drop is not so bad
    Negative.

    Unless of course you found some super special powder. The .300 BLK round simply will not have the range of the 7.62 x 39 round. The math just does not compute. The casing is smaller than that of the 5.56 round, I understand that there are some amazing things you can do with the loading...but there is just not enough room in the casing to create the energy you would need to give .300 BLK the range of the .308 round.

  11. #85
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,295
    Short range the 7.62X39 will do. Everyone should own a least one weapon that fires the 7.62X39. There are some many Calibers out there . I want something common much easier to find ammo for it. Nothing like a bunch of deer walking through the yard and no bullets.

  12. #86
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Negative.

    Unless of course you found some super special powder. The .300 BLK round simply will not have the range of the 7.62 x 39 round. The math just does not compute. The casing is smaller than that of the 5.56 round, I understand that there are some amazing things you can do with the loading...but there is just not enough room in the casing to create the energy you would need to give .300 BLK the range of the .308 round.
    300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK)



  13. #87
    Member Array Roon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    .300 BLK using the 125 grain ammunition you suggest has 100 inches of drop at 460m. Thats pretty significant.

  14. #88
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,899
    I still like a good lever gun is a viable choice, but I do agree that a 7.62 x 39 is a great option.
    And I don't see how one could go wrong with an SKS. Cheap, reliable, robust, and is a 200 yard rifle on humanoid sized targets.
    For the price of a AR, or Mini 14, you could buy 3 or 4.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  15. #89
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The problem is that in many states it would be illegal to hunt with a .223/5.56, while a .30 caliber round is allowed.
    The OP's question was directed to hunting Deer AND Zombie. Thus, if there are zombies, it is very likely there has been a societal collapse and I doubt game wardens will be enforcing caliber laws.

    Accordingly, I recommend the Benjamin Rogue. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE The problem with the other recommendations is the loud report, will will attract more zombies. The Rogue has a much quieter report.

    How you will recharge the Rogue, well, that's your problem. Perhaps there is a multi-stage pump out there. If that's the case, all you need is a hunk of lead and cast for your preferred bullet.

  16. #90
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The OP's question was directed to hunting Deer AND Zombie. Thus, if there are zombies, it is very likely there has been a societal collapse and I doubt game wardens will be enforcing caliber laws.

    Accordingly, I recommend the Benjamin Rogue. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE The problem with the other recommendations is the loud report, will will attract more zombies. The Rogue has a much quieter report.

    How you will recharge the Rogue, well, that's your problem. Perhaps there is a multi-stage pump out there. If that's the case, all you need is a hunk of lead and cast for your preferred bullet.
    ^^^^^ This post is just....well, it's just chaff. Seriously, the guy wants to buy a hunting rifle that he can also use in a SHTF scenario. This aint rocket surgery.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best .308 rifle

,
best .308 rifle for the money
,

best 308 rifle

,
best 308 rifle 2012
,
best 308 rifle for the money
,
best 308 rifles
,
best deer rifle 2012
,

mini 30 review

,
ruger mini 30 review
,
ruger mini 30 tactical review
,
shtf rifle
,
which rifle is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.