best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

This is a discussion on best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; = + =...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

= + =

2. Remove Ads

Don't let anyone fool you a AR will have no problem dropping any size deer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I am a little bit puzzled by the .300 AAC Blackout suggestions. A .223 with good 77 grain ammo is going to kill a deer just as dead as .300 BLK inside of 200 yards. Outside of 200 yards both cartridges are way less than ideal. Outside of niche (tactical) uses, what does an average person gain using .300 BLK over .223?
    The problem is that in many states it would be illegal to hunt with a .223/5.56, while a .30 caliber round is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The problem is that in many states it would be illegal to hunt with a .223/5.56, while a .30 caliber round is allowed.
    Here the .223 /5.56 is fine for deer. Because of how that round works it does a fine job of kill deer.

VIP Member
    I am a little bit puzzled by the .300 AAC Blackout suggestions. A .223 with good 77 grain ammo is going to kill a deer just as dead as .300 BLK inside of 200 yards. Outside of 200 yards both cartridges are way less than ideal. Outside of niche (tactical) uses, what does an average person gain using .300 BLK over .223?
    ACC .300 Black out is accurate out to 460 yards if you have the right combination of bullet,powder and barrel.

The .223 will shoot out farther with accuracy but since the bullet is lighter there may be more issues with windage and the energy at distance is debatable. Lets face it most people will not be able to take a shoot at a deer past 350 yards. The ACC .300 will have at least a 110 grain bullet if not something larger as big as 220 grain.

I shoot 77 grain ( 223 ) at 600 yards, makes a nice group on paper. In winter we shoot the steel target and I can ring it all day. but when I shoot my M1A with a 147 grain SA, 2 hits on the steel we got to have a cease fire and go down and reset the target that I just knocked over. I don't shoot the ACC .300 at 600 yards ( you would have to aim at the stars since the bullet would arc so much).

The ACC .300 Blackout is great for Coyote hunts, wild boar and it is cheap to reload, not much powder and many bullet choices.

I'd pick my FAL, personally. But I have ARs too. Best is to get a few of everything....

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    ACC .300 Black out is accurate out to 460 yards if you have the right combination of bullet,powder and barrel.

The .223 will shoot out farther with accuracy but since the bullet is lighter there may be more issues with windage and the energy at distance is debatable. Lets face it most people will not be able to take a shoot at a deer past 350 yards. The ACC .300 will have at least a 110 grain bullet if not something larger as big as 220 grain.

I shoot 77 grain ( 223 ) at 600 yards, makes a nice group on paper. In winter we shoot the steel target and I can ring it all day. but when I shoot my M1A with a 147 grain SA, 2 hits on the steel we got to have a cease fire and go down and reset the target that I just knocked over. I don't shoot the ACC .300 at 600 yards ( you would have to aim at the stars since the bullet would arc so much).

The ACC .300 Blackout is great for Coyote hunts, wild boar and it is cheap to reload, not much powder and many bullet choices.
    The drop on .300 BLK is pretty significant once you get out beyond 200 yards. Perhaps if you aim at the tree tops you might hit a target beyond 450 yards.

VIP Member

best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

Indeed. Aim for the tree tops on the sub sonic rounds 220 gr 920fps

125 gr super sonics just like 7.62x 39 from an ak. Drop is not so bad
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Indeed. Aim for the tree tops on the sub sonic rounds 220 gr 920fps

125 gr super sonics just like 7.62x 39 from an ak. Drop is not so bad
    Negative.

Unless of course you found some super special powder. The .300 BLK round simply will not have the range of the 7.62 x 39 round. The math just does not compute. The casing is smaller than that of the 5.56 round, I understand that there are some amazing things you can do with the loading...but there is just not enough room in the casing to create the energy you would need to give .300 BLK the range of the .308 round.

Short range the 7.62X39 will do. Everyone should own a least one weapon that fires the 7.62X39. There are some many Calibers out there . I want something common much easier to find ammo for it. Nothing like a bunch of deer walking through the yard and no bullets.

VIP Member
    Negative.

Unless of course you found some super special powder. The .300 BLK round simply will not have the range of the 7.62 x 39 round. The math just does not compute. The casing is smaller than that of the 5.56 round, I understand that there are some amazing things you can do with the loading...but there is just not enough room in the casing to create the energy you would need to give .300 BLK the range of the .308 round.
    300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK)

.300 BLK using the 125 grain ammunition you suggest has 100 inches of drop at 460m. Thats pretty significant.

I still like a good lever gun is a viable choice, but I do agree that a 7.62 x 39 is a great option.
    And I don't see how one could go wrong with an SKS. Cheap, reliable, robust, and is a 200 yard rifle on humanoid sized targets.
    For the price of a AR, or Mini 14, you could buy 3 or 4.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The OP's question was directed to hunting Deer AND Zombie. Thus, if there are zombies, it is very likely there has been a societal collapse and I doubt game wardens will be enforcing caliber laws.

Accordingly, I recommend the Benjamin Rogue. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE The problem with the other recommendations is the loud report, will will attract more zombies. The Rogue has a much quieter report.

How you will recharge the Rogue, well, that's your problem. Perhaps there is a multi-stage pump out there. If that's the case, all you need is a hunk of lead and cast for your preferred bullet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The OP's question was directed to hunting Deer AND Zombie. Thus, if there are zombies, it is very likely there has been a societal collapse and I doubt game wardens will be enforcing caliber laws.

Accordingly, I recommend the Benjamin Rogue. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE The problem with the other recommendations is the loud report, will will attract more zombies. The Rogue has a much quieter report.

How you will recharge the Rogue, well, that's your problem. Perhaps there is a multi-stage pump out there. If that's the case, all you need is a hunk of lead and cast for your preferred bullet.
    ^^^^^ This post is just....well, it's just chaff. Seriously, the guy wants to buy a hunting rifle that he can also use in a SHTF scenario. This aint rocket surgery.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links