best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

This is a discussion on best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was originally looking at an AR15, but .223 isn't going to cut it for deer. I am hoping some of you with more experience can ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: best rifle for hunting deer AND zombies, help me out please

Was originally looking at an AR15, but .223 isn't going to cut it for deer.

I am hoping some of you with more experience can educate me on the the thirtys.

30-06, 308, 30-30, 7.62, and any other you can think of.

My understanding of these is that each is specific chamber, that a .308 can't be used in say a 7.62 AR10, or vice versa?

Also, I am looking for 2 more constraints. I want the least expensive ammo, and least recoil as I have bad nerve in my arm.

I thought an AR10 might be the best, but it seems AR10s much more expensive than AR15s, or am I just not finding the right manufacturers.

But when I look at Savage or Remmington, too many calibers that I don't know the difference on. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Get an AR chambered for .308

VIP Member
    If you want one gun to do it all then you will get a gun that is "OK" at everything but not great at any one thing. While I think Suntzu's AR in .308 would be good, I also think it would be heavy and expensive. The .308/7.62X51 is a great round though (It's what I deer hunt with in a bolt action).

I suggest a Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62X39. It is lighter and less expensive than an AR10. They are plenty accurate out to 200yds. The 7.62X39 round is on par balistically with a 30-30 and the 30-30 has killed a bazzillion deer. Lastly you can get good hunting ammo for the 7.62X39 from companies like Remington or Federal and you can get cheap Russian made practice/zombie ammo by the case for fun or use in emergencies.

ETA: A quick check of GunBroker shows that the least expensive AR10s are starting at around $1300 on average.

A Mini 30 can be had for around $750 (or less!). That would leave allot of cash available for ammo, mags or an optic.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276714267

I like this one the best...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276699150

Ruger 5853 Mini-30 7.62x39 18.5" Stainless 20rd Bl : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Get an AR chambered for .308
    If you're serious about your deer and zombies.

That is my bug out gun (rifle). Wife has a .22 for a bug out.

Thanks for the input. Is a .308 the same round as a 7.62 x 39 or x51, are they actually interchangeable? If not, which is least expensive and most available. Also, my friends says to go with 30-06, they said it is the most available. (of course, they have 30-06 so not sure how much they know and why i posted this here).

It all depends on what type of conditions and where you are going to be hunting.

If you want an AR-15 looking rifle go with a AR-10.

This article should sum it up for you.

DEER RIFLE

Regards,

Ben
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
    – Benjamin Franklin

.308 is same size as 7.62x51 NATO. However, based on OP, I would consider an AR15 in 6.8 SPC. It's lighter and has a lot less recoil than AR10 in .308 and 6.8 is an excellent deer or hog sized hunting cartridge. Although ammo is not as cheap as mil. surplus 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 stuff, it is about the same as other hunting ammo. Check out 68forums dot com for more info.

That would be my SCAR H, for me. I'm not recommending anyone run out and spend that much for a hunting rifle, but it's what I have and what i use for larger game.

If I was buying strictly for that role, I'd look at the LaRue PredatOBR in 7.62. Again, this is just MY CHOICE, not saying you need this by any means.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I use an SKS, 7.62 x 39.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

"I want the least expensive ammo, and least recoil as I have bad nerve in my arm."

Best choice for these parameters would have to be the .243 Winchester in a full-sized bolt action rifle with a longer barrel.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    One thing to keep in mind for a "bug out" or SHTF rifle...you want a caliber that is very, very common.
    If the "bug out / SHTF" lasts any length of time you would want a common caliber so you could find/buy/barter for more ammo.
    Just a thought.
    My mind runs to 5.56...7.62X39 or 30-30 for the most common, 30.06 and 308 wouldn't be too far behind.
    I'm really inclined to agree with "Atctimmy" on the Mini 30.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by jerwin View Post
    .308 is same size as 7.62x51 NATO. However, based on OP, I would consider an AR15 in 6.8 SPC. It's lighter and has a lot less recoil than AR10 in .308 and 6.8 is an excellent deer or hog sized hunting cartridge. Although ammo is not as cheap as mil. surplus 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 stuff, it is about the same as other hunting ammo. Check out 68forums dot com for more info.
    Another vote for an AR15 in 6.8 spc.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Marlin 336

Looking at picking up an SKS though...
    mano3, Idahokid and BigJon10125 like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    OK the problem with these type of threads is that you get a lot of people chiming in with what they like. Folks naturally want to brag about what they have or what they think is cool. The problem is what they have/like may not be best for you. If I were buying this rifle I would probably go with an AR10 because I'm already set up with a ton of .308 ammo and I don't mind the recoil. I don't think that is the case with you.

I will try to address some of your questions individually.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Was originally looking at an AR15, but .223 isn't going to cut it for deer.

30-06, 308, 30-30, 7.62, and any other you can think of.
    All of the cartridges in bold ARE 7.62. The diameter of all of the projectiles is 7.62mm. When I hand load for my .308, my 300WSM and my dad's 30-06 I use the same bullets. The bullets (defined as the projectile that leaves the barrel) are the same size, 7.62mm in diameter. So when we talk about what a rifle is chambered for we are talking about cartridges (also sometimes referred to as chamberings). There is no real rhyme or reason to cartridge names, mostly it has to do with marketing or what's catchy.

The military refers to cartridges by the diameter of the projectile and the case length in millimeters. Examples...7.62X39 7.62X51 5.56X45 9X19

My understanding of these is that each is specific chamber, that a .308 can't be used in say a 7.62 AR10, or vice versa?
    A .308 and a 7.62X51 are interchangeable. One is the commercial name and the other is the military designation.

Also, I am looking for 2 more constraints. I want the least expensive ammo, and least recoil as I have bad nerve in my arm.
    I think that hands down the right cartridge for you is 7.62X39. It is about the same as a 30-30 in ballistics. It has mild recoil and will kill deer with gusto. Also, since it was the standard rifle round of the communist bloc there are a bazillion guns in that chambering. Therefore there are millions and millions of rounds out there on the cheap. There is good ammo available too.

I thought an AR10 might be the best, but it seems AR10s much more expensive than AR15s, or am I just not finding the right manufacturers.
    AR10s are heavy and expensive. Also 7.62X51 ammo is two to three times the price of 7.62X39 ammo. The 7.62X51 also has about double the recoil as well.

So, back to my original recommendation. A well made gun from a reputable American company for not TOO much money.

The Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62X39.

Lastly I'll say that this rifle may not be the best for everyone else but I think it would be very good for you with the circumstances you mentioned.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 8th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
    mano3 and CanuckQue like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links