Coach Guns

This is a discussion on Coach Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone use a SxS for defense? I was looking at a Stoeger Coach Gun, since they look nice and aren't too badly priced. Any opinions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Coach Guns

Anyone use a SxS for defense? I was looking at a Stoeger Coach Gun, since they look nice and aren't too badly priced.

Any opinions of these guns would be appreciated.

Thanks
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I keep a coach gun at the back door, along side a Winchester 94. At the front I have a pump shotgun & another Winchester 94. That way, depending on what kind of varmint & time of day/night, I have a choice of shotgun or rifle.

I like the double hammer version (rabbit-ears), that way I leave it loaded & the hammers have to be cocked before it will fire. The 'newer' style (box-lock) guns have internal hammers that cock when action is reclosed, that style I would NOT like to leave loaded for any length of time.

IMHO, In this case older is better.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    excellent choice. the only negative i suppose is the 2 round capacity. they usually have short barrels and are both intimidating and handy.
    i have kept a side by to hand in the past when it seemed like the best plan.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    I love their compact size and - the cocking hammer types as they are good to keep loaded safely.

Otherwise tho - it's Mr 870 for shottie duty here
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Well, I took the plunge and bought one a few months back. I haven't got a chance to shoot it but the metal work is up to par.
    I wasn't thrilled with the stock, it is real wood but almost looks fake.
    I have been toying with the idea of sanding it down and refinishing it.

Oh, one other thing, all the ones I have seen have a choke, so you can't fire slugs out of them.

I have a Rossi "Rabbit Eared" Side by Side right over the top of my bedroom door in a special rack I built. 18.5 inch barrels. It has a slip on butt sleeve holding six extra rounds. It's mostly for the wife. If I have time for a shottie I'm goin' for my Benelli. But the Coach gun is easy to check for a loaded status and even easier to check for a cocked status. The barrels can be selected by selecting one of the double triggers, so if need be, you can load something different in each one. The left barrel is I/C (Improved Cylinder) and the right is a modified choke. Also a double will feed literally ANY 12 ga shell and you don't have to worry about a low charge being unable to work the action. Even OLD rounds can be stuffed into those babies. Even the OLD paper rounds. As long as you can get primer ignition, they'll work fine. Man lemme tell you, lookin' down the business end of that gun it's like looking straight into eternity. You may lack the audible signature of the pump, but the visual....! You can understand why it was referred to as the Street Howitzer!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Man lemme tell you, lookin' down the business end of that gun it's like looking straight into eternity. You may lack the audible signature of the pump, but the visual....! You can understand why it was referred to as the Street Howitzer!
    Go watch "Tombstone" for a little side by side inspiration! Doc and Wyatt give it a little trigger time. I think they used a 10 gauge for the movie....that sucker looks impressive!

I've got a old side by side that was my grandfather's first shottie given to him by my Great-Grandfather back around 1924 or so. It has been retired and hangs over the mantle. No telling how many quail and rabbits were bagged by that gun.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; August 28th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

1943 - 2009
    I, too, once owned a Rossi Coach Gun. It had exposed hammers & double triggers, a really well made gun, as I recall.

One time, while dry-firing it, I found that I could manipulate the triggers to drop both hammers at the same time. I thought to myself, Wouldn't this be a hoot to try with live ammo?

Well, it was a hoot, all right.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Actually, watching Tombstone and some CASS shooting really got me wanting a double.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got a Stoeger Coach Gun in the bedroom, loaded up with Hornady TAP 00 buckshot.

I love the doggoned thing.

It's the fourth Stoeger S X S I've owned. I convince myself that they are anachronisms and sell them. Then I get a hankering to get one just because they're so handy, quick-pointing, easy to use and functionally failsafe.

I guess those things never get truly anachronistic; I've made up my mind to keep this one.

I like my little Rossi with hammers - matches my cowboy hat.
    But it sure does kick!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Go watch "Tombstone" for a little side by side inspiration! Doc and Wyatt give it a little trigger time. I think they used a 10 gauge for the movie....that sucker looks impressive!

Ohh yes. Good stuff there for sure.

I myself have a stoeger sxs that is a handy shottie, and very intimidating, but not my primary HD gun. However I would not feel underarmed with it at all.
    Fear No Evil.

Two thoughts:
    1) You can miss with a shotty
    2) You only get 2 tries with a Coach

As a cool little gun, I like them. As a defensive arm, I became grossly un-enamored with the CASS-style "defensive gear" (single-actions, side-by-side) when I was working EMS. Definitely follows the addage, "Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're armed...."

If the BG is drunk/weeded out, you may be okay. If they're on meth, speed, coke, anything else, or if there are two or more, you'll need to be shopping here.................

Just carefully consider what you want it for................

Lightbulb A Coach gun should be considered as a BACKUP.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1) You can miss with a shotty
    2) You only get 2 tries with a Coach. Just carefully consider what you want it for................
    My Coach is for my wife as a backup for her peace of mind. She will have the butt sleeve with those spare six rounds...which is three reloads. First though, they've got to get by our two Newfoundland dogs....and me....with my Benelli.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    First though, they've got to get by our two Newfoundland dogs....and me....with my Benelli.
    Heck, that's cheating, and you know it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links