New England Firearms single shot 20 gauge "pardner"

This is a discussion on New England Firearms single shot 20 gauge "pardner" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lately, I've been looking to pick up my first shotgun, and my plan was to get a 20 gauge coach gun (mostly bc I want ...

Thread: New England Firearms single shot 20 gauge "pardner"

New England Firearms single shot 20 gauge "pardner"

Lately, I've been looking to pick up my first shotgun, and my plan was to get a 20 gauge coach gun (mostly bc I want one, also for simple manual of arms HD, and maybe to get started in outdoorsy hunting kinda stuff). After perusing the LGS (I'm on vacation), I noticed they had a delightful looking single shot on display. It's a new England firearms (h&r?) pardner youth model 20 gauge single shot with 22 inch barrel. It was used but basically in new condition, and it had a Limbsaver already attached. It was only 130 bucks, and it came with a weathered but fully functional soft leather (pleather?) case. For the price, and considering I'm just getting into shotgunning, I happily snatched it up.

I haven't shot it yet, but so far I'm very impressed. The fit and finish are top notch. It locks up tight, handles smoothly, and feels as good or better then my marlins. It has an ejector, and fascinatingly enough, it launches out snap caps. I'm curious as to the design, bc they jump out as if under some sort of air pressure. My only concern is that it's too light. I believe it is right around 5.5 lbs. Ideally, once I get further along in my shotgunning journey, I'd love to have my wife or my dad use this gun for shooting. My concern is that the light weight would equate to discouraging recoil.

Anyway, I'll get some pics up when I can. But so far, I'm loving this little beaut.

2. Remove Ads

Pretty rugged gun with not a lot to go wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about recoil with this gun - it's not a repeater that you'll take skeet shooting and blast through 100 rounds in a session. 20 gauge promo loads are only 7/8 ounce, and high brass express loads are an ounce... not like the standard 1-1/4 oz 12-gauge loads. I'd pick up a box or two of low-brass 6's and 7-1/2s to see how it patterns. Then when you get ambitious, get some #3 or #4 buckshot and check out those patterns at maybe 7-10 yards.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I had a 12 gauge single shot when I was young and that thing kicked like a mule. I killed a bunch of rabbits and tree rats with it. I actually like hunting with a single shot more so then a pump or other. Light, simple and usually u get ur game with that one shot anyway. I have two pumps now but do miss that single shot ....20s can kick some also but u can get a slip on butt pad for it if you like. About the kicking the shells out when u open the breech that's normal with these types of shotguns. You can either hold ur hand over the breech as u open it and let the shell jump in ur hand or turn it from ur face as u open the barrel and let it kick the shell over ur shoulder. Hey that's part of the fun too.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    I still have mine. My son will be learning on it in just a few more years.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Let us know how it works out. I also got one with the 20 ga. barrel and a set of .30-06 and .223 heavy barrels. I have'nt shot it yet, but hope to soon. I figured to leave it at my cabin to cover whatever may come along. I'm not particularly looking forward to shooting the ought 6 much!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have both a single-shot and a pump in 20 gauge. Both are H&Rs. The single-shot is one really fine shotgun for the money. Haven't tried the pump yet. But, I have owned H&R rifles in the following calibers: .22LR, .223, .243, .25-06, .270, and .45-70. Still have four of those. They make rugged, simple truck guns.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

lazytl, which ones did you keep, and why? What kind of accuracy do you get? ( Hope I'm not highjacking this thread )
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I bought one for my son 10-12 years ago and was not real happy with it. The size was right but the pattern was bad no matter what we shot. I took the next step and got him the 12 ga model which would also take a 2 3/4" and 3" shells which worked out much better. The gun also had a piece of steel in the stock which gave it added weight reducing recoil. The good thing was we could take it out when we were hunting upland game birds and only use it when using the 3" shells or turkey.

I picked up that exact gun in the "used" rack at a Gander Mountain several months ago. Mine had a bit of surface rust, but was otherwise in great shape. If you think the lowly break action single shot has no application to home defense, check out Clint Smith's YouTube video on the shotgun. Stoked with #3 buck, even the humble 20 ga. has potential for home protection. It's also nearly peerless as a simple, game-getting tool.

PC

I've had the 12g model for about 20 years now. Pardners are a well made gun. Perfect for small game hunting.

Links