New AR-15 Coming Next Week

This is a discussion on New AR-15 Coming Next Week within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; JoeFriday, I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot from my mistakes and others! If there's anything you need, feel free to PM me or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New AR-15 Coming Next Week

JoeFriday, I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot from my mistakes and others! If there's anything you need, feel free to PM me or some of the other members, or start a new topic. You never know where this will go for you. Right now, you may only want to shoot it indoors once a month… Next year you may sign up for some training classes. Keep an open mind and learn your rifle well.
    FPW823 and RockStrongo like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

If it matters I bought a dpms and love it! It might not be a $2000 ar but it works fine for what I use it for witch is throwing it on the side ny side and spot lighting hogs. Yes its legal in Arkansas and none of the hogs seamed to care they were shot by a cheaper gun

I own two DPMS AR's one is a 308 and the other is a 6.8 and they both worked very good for me. I might have to look into this brand and for this price it is good.

RKM
    From what I've read, DPMS makes a pretty good AR-10. Their AR-15's are fine. Guy who run rifles HARD tend to like better made rifles. The better made rifles aren't more expensive "just because". They're more expensive because they're better. And really, lately, they're not THAT expensive. When I was AR shopping, I spend $1000 on my M&P15X. I was seeing Colts and other high end AR's over $1500. The prices have dropped. Now you can have a Colt for under $1000. Luckely, I'm very happy with my M&P15X as it's a acceptable rifle, and I'm OK with it NOT being a Colt. However, I understand why guys WANT to spend money and run nothing but the best.

Jon never bashed the DPMS. I've seen him plenty of times say that they will work fine for most people. And they will. $519 was it that the OP spent? That's a good deal. But the point is, some people spend nearly $1000 on a Bushmaster or DPMS when you can have a Colt for the same price (now).

If you have a DPMS and like it.... AWESOME! I wouldn't have any problem owning a DPMS as a range toy. I still would have went with the M&P15 Sport over the DPMS even if it was a little bit more money. M&P15's are well built, they just don't have the 1:7 4150 barrel most people want as well as some other easily changeable features like a full auto BCG or H buffer.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Well, I had been looking at building an AR. I have never owned or messed with one, so I figured that would be a good way to get to know one. I tripped across the M&P Sport and found that there are entry level rifles that may be a better option to get my feet wet. I continued looking around and ran across a deal. DPMS Oracle for $570. Yep, no sights, but not a big deal. I caught the Bushnell TRS-25 on Amazon for $76. That puts me at $646. I'll put a quad rail and light on it for $76. So, that will have me ending up at $722 in to it. So, based on what it will have, I don't think that is too bad.

While I am sure that some will want to say that DPMS is awful, and I should have purchased X rifle because it is so much better. I can appreciate that. I am sure if I would have spent $1K to $2K, I would have purchased a better rifle, or at least I would hope so. I have owned various rifles over the years, and I just was not willing to drop that kind of money on a rifle until I had hands on time with one over the course of some time and could justify the cost/benefit. If I really like the AR platform and can justify it, then I can always sell the Oracle and upgrade later. Plus, I have no intention of taking it and rolling around in the mud doing some tactical course.

Based on everything I could find, I got lucky and got a pretty smokin' deal at this point in time. I got one of the last ones the place had at that price, and that was by far the best prices I could find anywhere. I'm pretty stoked about getting some time with an AR and some range time with it hopefully soon after it arrives.

Since I'm a newbie to the AR world, anything I should watch for as I am breaking it in? I watched some YouTube videos of the breakdown and clean process. Based on some of the comments for some, they were wrong. Any recommendations on the best ones? What maintenance items should I watch?

And finally, on sighting in... Based on what I read, I can zero in at 25 yards and be zeroed at 200 yards too. Between 25 and 200 yards, I should see roughly up to 2 inches in rise. Is that correct?

Ive put about 2000 rounds through my DPMS with no problems that werent magazine related. Keep it clean and lubed and you shouldnt have any problems either.

Well, it made it. Guess it is time now to get to the range. Hopefully that can happen this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FPW823 View Post
    zero It @ 25 meters prone with a bypod or sand bag, something to help with human error. Once zeroed @ 25 meters you will also be zeroed @ 300. Take 3 shots and if those 3 shots are not in a semi snug group then re-evaluate your rest and breathing. once they are consistent your good to adjust sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    As far as sighting in, maybe it's just me, I kind of do my own thing when it comes zeroing. I zero at 50 yards as I find it's the best overall for out to 200 yards. Based on rough calculations a 50 yards zero will be .5" low at 25, on at 50, .5" high at 100, on at 150, and 2" low at 200. A 25 yard zero will be on at 25 yards and high by 1-3" all the way out to 200. I'd zero at whatever distance you're going to be shooting at the most.

I'm not an expert, how ever I did get the skinny from an expert with many years behind the trigger as an operator, DM, sniper, and professional trainer. A 25, 50, or 100 yard zero is just that. Not 25/300, or 50/200. It will be close but it's not zero'd for the second longer distance. Rifles can be off by 11" or more (as in off target) at the longer ranges. If you are good enough to put a clover leaf hole even just slightly left or right next to the "X" at 50 (which a lot of people will say "good enough"), there is an order a magnitude that you will be farther off the "X" the farther out you shoot.

If you want your rifle zeroed for the longer range (100, 200 or 300), then zero it at that range and learn what your hold over/under will be closer in. Start to zero at the closer range to get close, then fine tune it at the longer range. Elevation first, then windage.

Looking at the ballistics on paper the theory is correct for 50y/200m, but you will not find a rifle with either a fixed FSP or flat top rail with folding BUIS that is 100% in line with the bore.

Now that you have purchased a rifle, buy more mags (at least 6 - I'd go a minimum of 10), ammo, and sign up for a training class to learn how to operate it properly. I just took one last weekend and it was the best $450 I have ever spent.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Congrats and welcome to the world of evil black rifles. Hope you have extra money laying around cuz it can get addictive. LOL! It will most likely serve you well as you learn (and fall in love with) the platform then when you are ready to buy your next AR you will have a truck gun if you so choose. Win Win!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Go have fun and let us know how it shoots.

RKM
    I never zero my AR for precision accuracy. I don't use it that way. I zero at 50 because from 0-200 yards, you'll never be more than 2" off target. If I shoot off hand and can keep my rounds in an 8" circle at 50 yards during quick fire, I'm happy. It's the best, in my opinion, overall zero. Like I said, that's just what I do.

Welcome to the Black Rifle Society! Jon, you still haven't replied to my PM!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It's not frequent bashing, it's pointing out the lower quality parts that they use, the larger gas ports, the often out of spec machining, the lower quality lower parts components they use and the quite often out of spec chamber that they label as 5.56 but is actually closer to .223 in many cases.

It's not bashing if they put out a lower quality product. There's nothing wrong with buying lower quality if you understand that it is lower quality, but still fits your needs. Many, for some reason, try to say it's as good as something like a Colt, but that's certainly not the case. Before buying a rifle, you (generally speaking) need to understand the difference between commercial grade rifles built for weekend plinking and professional grade rifles built for defensive/duty use, harder use during training but will also work well as a plinker. There's a difference which is easy to see by comparing materials used, but really is noticeable when you compare consistency across a large sample of their rifles, when you check their chambers, when their bolt sheer a lug much sooner than the expected life cycle, etc.

Again, this may not matter to you, and that's perfectly fine. But, saying they're just as good as, is not true. Being just as good as for a few rounds here and there maybe, but generally speaking, no they are not. Some people get emotional about this for some reason, and it clouds the issue. If you don't plan on running yours hard, getting it smoking hot, putting more than 1,000 rounds or more per month through it, it will likely be fine. Do 1,000 to 1,5000 rounds in a few day class, like many of us here do, and you'll start to see little problems here and there that will require some minor (or possible major) fixes.
    Anyone who thinks this is bashing DPMS needs to reread what Jon truly typed. With the surge in interest in AR rifles many are new and don't really know what they are getting. What works for one person may not be as well suited for others.
    Joefriday, keep the bolt well lubed and enjoy your new rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links