A Kinder, Gentler, Buttplate!

This is a discussion on A Kinder, Gentler, Buttplate! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week I posted about hitting the range with 3 Feathers in Sierra Vista. I also mentioned, no pun intended, getting my butt kicked with ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By medicineball

Thread: A Kinder, Gentler, Buttplate!

Distinguished Member

Last week I posted about hitting the range with 3 Feathers in Sierra Vista. I also mentioned, no pun intended, getting my butt kicked with my semi-auto Benelli with 00 buckshot. Suggestions for a better buttplate for shock absorption or is that just wishful thinking?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

If your gun doesn't already have a recoil pad, consider adding one. Limbsaver, Pachmayr and Hogue all come to mind. Before you commit to any of those, try one out to see how 'sticky' the pad is on your shoulder. Some are real 'grabby' and interfere with that last half inch of sliding the gun into your shoulder pocket. Too slippery is rarely a problem with recoil pads.

Some other things to consider before making semi-permanent changes to your gun: are you sure of your mount and the way you hold the gun to your shoulder? I'm frankly not sure if "tactical" use requires a different mount than for sport shooting - I kinda doubt it - but for the latter, you want that butt squarely in the pocket of your shoulder, inboard of the shoulder socket, and held back with firm pressure. Your stance should also be weight-forward so under recoil your gun barrel naturally comes back down close to where it had been. The other thing - are you shooting those reduced-recoil LE buckshot loads? I can shoot a 12-gauge all day long with target loads, and I mean a pump or over/under, but after about 20 full-snot buckshot loads or slugs I've had about all the fun I can stand.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and aznav like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

AZ, I feel your pain, or at least the mule- kick and being hammered by the Soviet steel of that Mosin-Nagant 91-30's buttplate that I own.

My wife felt and hated it too. I am seriously considering a recoil pad.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

How about the Enfield Jungle Carbine buttplate that concentrated the recoil to that smaller stepped portion?

If looks are not an issue, you may find a slip on recoil pad to suit your needs.

I can tell you that I installed a Limbsaver on my 45-70, which kicks massively, and I was floored by the difference. Just floored. The Limbsaver turns the recoil into what feels like a big slow push.
    aznav likes this.

Which butt plate do you have now? Mine doesn't kick bad at all with full loads. It's softer than my 500. Have you tried adjusting your stance and grip? I shoot a shotgun differently than a rifle, though my stance is similar. I square up a bit, though a blade just a bit more until I put a shorter stock on there, lean into it a bit and use more of a push/pul type of grip. I can run it all day like that and not feel sore in any way.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Check out the Benelli recoil pads, shaped to sit into the angle of your shoulder
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry, guys, trying to get my house ready to sell and honking at my taillights. Excellent input! I have the standard factory butt plate on my Benelli. I am going, one quiet evening, to check all of this out. Jon, I spread my feet apart, left forward, right slightly back, shoulder width. I then lean forward into the target. At least, that's what I'm told to do. I do jamb the stock into my shoulder tightly before firing. I did five shots in a row and it flat out hurt my little itty bitty shoulder. I do have rotator cuff damage but I doubt that had much to do with the pain.

" I square up a bit, though a blade just a bit more until I put a shorter stock on there, lean into it a bit and use more of a push/pul type of grip." Can you walk me through this? I'm not getting it.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Sponsored Links