First time AR

This is a discussion on First time AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bird hunted with shotguns when i was a kid. Ive deer hunted with 30/06. I have fired many diffrent kind of hunting rifles,shotguns,muzzleloaders. For ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time AR

First time AR

I bird hunted with shotguns when i was a kid. Ive deer hunted with 30/06. I have fired many diffrent kind of hunting rifles,shotguns,muzzleloaders. For the last 15 years i have been primarly a bow hunter. Now i am getting a urge to buy a AR just to Plink around with friends on the weekend. Now i am all about quality i pay 1000 dollars plus on a bow. what i am looking for is a AR around 1500.00 this is what i come to settle on that i can get a good quality AR at. The two that i am stuck on is. BCM® RECCE-16 Mod 0 and a Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical. Now friends are no help they all own ARs but have diffrent veiws on what i should get. I know most are gonna say either one is a good quality AR for what u plan on doing with it. What i am looking for is the most bang for my buck which is gonna be the BCM® RECCE-16 Mod 0 right? The prob i am having is with little to no exp in ARs i cant seem to find a price on the BCM® RECCE-16 Mod 0. from what i am getting is... i could have a dealer order me the BCM right? And find out thier how much its costs. Am i just stressing over this choice to much? i still have a few months before i am getting either one so looking forward to what u guys have to say. I am still reasearching this stuff to so any inside in to ARs would be helpfull

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    The BCM is a better built rifle, but the M&P15T is certainly not a piece of junk. The BCM will likely be cheaper, but it won't come "equipped" with the rail and folding sights (the stuff most people want) for the same price. However, the BCM will come with an M16 BCG, H buffer, 4150 1:7 barrel and MPI test bolt (thought I do believe S&W's bolt are MPI tested as well). The Smith will have a 4140 1:9 twist barrel, which I personally find to be acceptable, but the majority of people prefer the 4150 1:7 barrels. Both are chambered in 5.56. For a fun target gun, it's a wash. If you want a serious defensive rifle, again both will do you just fine, though the BCM comes out on top. These are mainly my opinions.

You can get basic Colts for under $1000 and they're better than either choice above.

For what it's worth, I own an M&P15X, and love it dearly. It does what it does for me well and that's good enough for me.

JW1977,
    I was in your shoes not so long ago. Life long bird hunter, pistol "collector" (says the Mrs).
    Neighbor was was pissed at his wife, and sold me a Stag Arms (model 2) very cheap; took it to a dealer
    who trained me on the operation, and.....I LOVE AN AR!!!! Live on a farm east of Denver; coyotes are (were)
    thick out here, and the AR platform is un-real fun!! RKM knows what brand is good/bad, but I'd say spend some extra $$,
    get a good quality built AR.....you will LOVE it!!

VIP Member
    OP you just need to shop around a little and the right one will come along. A nice M&P15 can be had for under 1K. BCMs can be had for under a grand too. The nice part about ARs is you can dress them up after you buy one.

I suggest buying a quality base gun and then adding the bling later.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Out of those two, the BCM has better specs in general. If you get the S&W for less, you will probably still be happy with it. Just know that the 4140 barrel won't last quite as long (measured in thousands of rounds, so you may never notice any difference). Whichever way you go, enjoy your rifle. Both are solid choices.

sgb
    The BCM is a better hard use carbine.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

BCM is the better choice.

If I had your budget, I'd opt for either the Colt 6920 or BCM. Both of which can be had around $1K.

Take the remainder of funds for an optic and mags, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

was reading some other posts and found spike tactical when i have more time i am gonna be looking into them to... it will be june before i buy. To a outside person it seems like its easy to put together a AR. buy your upper buy your lower slap them together is it just that easy?

If and when you buy one DO NOT shoot cheap ammo (steel case). The coating on the ammo causes a lot of problems, I have cleaned my AR (DPMS) out 4 times and still there, getting better but it’s a pain.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jw1977 View Post
    was reading some other posts and found spike tactical when i have more time i am gonna be looking into them to... it will be june before i buy. To a outside person it seems like its easy to put together a AR. buy your upper buy your lower slap them together is it just that easy?
    Yes it is. ARs are like adult Legos.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I really like BCM but I'd suggest you get a 6920 and then spend the other $500 on ammo, mags and training.

Just throwing this out there too, you can get a complete Daniel Defense for right at or a tad over 1500 as well.

Since you mentioned Spikes, don't forget to check out PSA as well.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

They are not easy to find. I am trying to decide between BCM® RECCE-16 Mod 0 and Daniel Defense XVM.
    NRA Life Member

GOA Member

BCM 16" BFH Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense RIS II

BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense Lite12 RIS II

can anyone tell me the dif between these two uppers. the only dif i see is one is cold hammer forged. When they say cold hammer forged that mean longer barrel life. is it worth it for the guy who goes out and shoots on the weekend to get? I really like these uppers. I have already started buying ammo and clips. Still looking around and tring to find a lower from bcm. I would really like to find a lower that has a grip the same color as my rail. ohh well still shoping around just giving a update

Anyone have a good plinking ammo i am already starting to collect some ammo and clips.

ps... leaning twords the bottom upper if it come in stock really like the dark earth color

Magpull's MOE line comes in all colors so I wouldn't spend any extra $$ on colors unless the price is similar to what you'd pay for the same thing from Magpull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links