my first AR

This is a discussion on my first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looking to buy my first ar soon. I've shoot rec shot gun hand gun and some rifle mostly my old 30-30 messing around. I've ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: my first AR

my first AR

I looking to buy my first ar soon. I've shoot rec shot gun hand gun and some rifle mostly my old 30-30 messing around. I've narrowed it down to these 3 guns with my budget. Give your opinion and any advise. Thanks
    Colt le6920
    Rock River lar 15 series
    S&W M&P 15 sport I can get this for $622 plus shipping and fees
    I'm just looking for a good all around gun Target home defense and maybe some hunting

2. Remove Ads

Colt, Bravo Company, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske.... the rest wish they could be like these. Try G&R Tactical.
    Skygod likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The Sport is a darm good gun for the maney. No shortcomeings that matter for a civian. hard to be the prices too. Do check with a few more gunshops if you have them, Around here they sell for just under 600 bucks. Ah new york , So do you need the 10 round mags and no mussle brake with a bullet botton mag release version?? Same price here for that one also. I bought the sport after looking and shooting a bunch of others. If you have not read it -http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

For me, of those you mentioned, the LE6920 would be a no-brainer if it is in the price range. If I decided I did not want to spend that much, I would jump on the M&P 15 Sport and never look back. YMMV, of course.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Yeah you can't have the LE6920 in NY, unless permanently modified to have a non-collapsible stock, no bayonet lug, and no flash suppressor. You can have a pistol grip, and a detachable magazine as long as it holds 10 rounds or less. However, it is worth getting a Colt over either of the other, though the S&W would be a second choice. Here are the Colts that are NY-legal:

Colt Match Target®

FWIW, I have a MT6700C and it is a great rifle. You can't go wrong with a Colt, and with the HBAR configuration these ban-compliant rifles have it will last that much longer.

Look at the Colt SP 6920, may be a little cheaper. Same gun just w/o the law enforcement markings.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links